+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Why do Christians tell me I'm going to die and go to hell?

You know, for a religion that talks about peace and love, you wagging your finger in my face and self-righteously telling me how your way of life is better than mine, is pretty hypocritical, and frankly a huge turn-off.

Re: Why do Christians tell me I'm going to die and go to hell?

Because they believe that you are going to die and go to hell.

And they think you need to know this.

Most Christians believe that is the truth and would like to save you from it as best they know how. Some unruly types really want you to squirm under the illusion of being the first kind. I personally don't believe in a never-ending hell, so there's that. There's a lot more diversity on the issue than you'd think.

Quote Originally Posted by BigSmoke View Post
    Most Christians believe that is the truth and would like to save you from it as best they know how. Some unruly types really want you to squirm under the illusion of being the first kind. I personally don't believe in a never-ending hell, so there's that. There's a lot more diversity on the issue than you'd think.
    Why believe in a hell at all, when most scripture suggests the original belief was the choice between an everlasting life after resurrection for the Jesus-group and not-everlasting-life for the rest (ie: annihilation)?

Hell/Hades/Gehenna/Sheol are just terms that are used to describe some shadowy underworld where all dead people "exist".

The question as to what view the Scriptures have regarding the fate of those condemned after the final judgement, or even if all the different authors are of one mind. I tend to align more with St. Paul in a belief in universal reconciliation.

Mainly because they think it is true, and they think that it would be wrong of them not to tell you. Like, "hey don't drink that bottle of bleach because it might hurt you." I think, if I can presume a bit, the implications of the statement are more upsetting than just the statement. Because if it was just a well-meaning warning, you could appreciate the sentiment and tell them, "thanks but I don't agree."

Quote Originally Posted by DwCLorck
    ;1985590
    Mainly because they think it is true, and they think that it would be wrong of them not to tell you. Like, "hey don't drink that bottle of bleach because it might hurt you." I think, if I can presume a bit, the implications of the statement are more upsetting than just the statement. Because if it was just a well-meaning warning, you could appreciate the sentiment and tell them, "thanks but I don't agree."".
    Thank you for this! I wish more Christian people were like you. Often when they tell me these things it comes across as pretty harsh and I wonder if theyre actually trying to be nice at all. And they are super judgy when I don't really want to buy into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Beatz View Post
    Thank you for this! I wish more Christian people were like you. Often when they tell me these things it comes across as pretty harsh and I wonder if theyre actually trying to be nice at all. And they are super judgy when I don't really want to buy into it.
    I'll be open about Christianity's veiws- it says that everyone is a bad person, no matter how good they are. But at the same time, everyone is radically loved by God and worthy of love, no matter how bad they are. It kind of puts everyone on the same level, from Ghandi to Stalin, in terms of worth and need for "saving".

Quote Originally Posted by DwCLorck View Post
    I'll be open about Christianity's veiws- it says that everyone is a bad person, no matter how good they are. But at the same time, everyone is radically loved by God and worthy of love, no matter how bad they are. It kind of puts everyone on the same level, from Ghandi to Stalin, in terms of worth and need for "saving".

So it says that everyone is a bad person no matter what? Jeez...

I hope it doesn't sound stuck up of me to say I don't like the idea of being on the same bad-scale as say a child rapist.

Yeah, I mean, the idea is that the scale is meaningless. Of course a child-rapist has done much worse things than us, and caused much more harm, but in terms of worth, how much we're loved by God, and how much we need God, we're all the same.

Original sin and the universality of sin in Yahweh's eyes are the key points to selling Christianity. There are caveats if you dig deeper though. The 10 commandments come into play very quickly. Then there is the inconsistent application of Old Testament rules and laws which is where intolerance and bigotry come into play. Christianity is really no different than any other goat herder religion from two millennia ago. The funny thing is if you read what is attributed to Joshua (aka Jesus) he was a very progressive, tolerant and forward thinking guy. Very different from the Christians in today's world.

I know we have very different points of view, but what you're claiming about Christianity's views are not what I would claim.

Christianity isn't supposed to be sold, the people selling it anyway are the problem. The 10 comandments are condensed into two, love god and love others. I wouldn't say that the old testament laws are meant to be applied at all (at least to gentiles) the old testament is about God's covenant with the descendants of Abraham, and his promise to turn them into a holy nation. If you're a gentile it's only the new covenant made by the sacrifice of Christ that applies to you and makes you free.

Are they doing it compassionately, or are they doing it arrogantly? Ive seen both.But, overall, the reason is generally the same: theyve been taught that they need to do so, and so they do so.

Quote Originally Posted by BigSmoke View Post
    Are they doing it compassionately, or are they doing it arrogantly? Ive seen both.But, overall, the reason is generally the same: theyve been taught that they need to do so, and so they do so.
    The thing is that they're often rather intimidating and it's as if they're trying to indoctrinate me or something. I think I would have a much easier time connecting with God if there wasn't such a culture of doom and gloom and non-acceptance (I'm talking about of gay people etc). It's not usually the forward thinking Christians that condemn me to hell, ya know? It's pretty off-putting.