+ Reply to Thread

Is white supremacy a religion?

About to read “The Religion of White Supremacy” by Eric Weed. Looking for your well thought out support or critique of this question.

Re: Is white supremacy a religion?

No, I would not consider white supremacy itself to be a religion. I would even question whether it is a doctrinal belief of any religion. But I would certainly accept that individual followers of a religion might look to support their racial supremacist beliefs with their religious beliefs. How better to claim racial supremacy other than through divine right?

Quote Originally Posted by BloodClaw View Post
    No, I would not consider white supremacy itself to be a religion. I would even question whether it is a doctrinal belief of any religion. But I would certainly accept that individual followers of a religion might look to support their racial supremacist beliefs with their religious beliefs. How better to claim racial supremacy other than through divine right?
    I think to start the question, we need to define what constitutes “religion”. The origins of the word simply mean “the order of things”. Many people watch football more often than they attend church. Does that mean that they have a religion of football? In some ways, I would say “yes”.

Quote Originally Posted by Beatz View Post
    I think to start the question, we need to define what constitutes “religion”. The origins of the word simply mean “the order of things”. Many people watch football more often than they attend church. Does that mean that they have a religion of football? In some ways, I would say “yes”.
    In that case, yes. White supremacy, communism, new atheism...all these things can be considered religion if that is the definition being used.

It certainly is for some religions. Once upon a time Mormons refused to let any non-whites into their Temples to participate in the rites needed for salvation. That changed just after the Civil Rights movement and just before BYU was going to lose its tax exempt status for racial discrimination.

Folkish heathenry also is specifically a religion for white people only. They'll tell you different things depending on who you talk to; some say that each "tribe" has its own religion and heathenry is the white tribe's religion, some say that belief in the Norse gods is literally bred into the genetic makeup of white people.

White supremacy is an Ideology, religions are ideologies as well but that doesn't make White supremacy a religion.

Like a goldfish is an animal, and mammal are animals as well but that doesn't make goldfish a mammal.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

deologies are like crippled religions, missing and arm and a leg but still hobbling along.

Quote Originally Posted by BloodClaw View Post
    In that case, yes. White supremacy, communism, new atheism...all these things can be considered religion if that is the definition being used.
    I'm not sure what "new atheism" is but the word A-theist simply means "not" a theist as the A is a prefix that negatives the noun, the noun being theist. Having said that, I have debated with a lot of self professed A-theists and, in a lot of cases it would seem that they haven't a clue what an A-theist is. Are these the "new A-theists" referred to?

DESTROY CHESTY THE SNAKE!