+ Reply to Thread

Masters degree options

I wanted to know what are the best routes for masters degrees after a bachelors in political science. I want to work in politics. Mostly I want to be a consultant, political advisor , or a political Analyst. I want to actively be apart of the changes in politics or help the people that will do so.

For my situation would a masters in political science be enough? I was leaning towards a mba in public policy. What do you all recommend?

Re: Masters degree options

If you want to be a political advisor for campaigns or in DC, you most likely don’t need a MA, you need experience first. I’ve done the campaign life and I’m a policy staffer on the Hill - the vast majority of my colleague under 30 don’t have advanced degrees.

Quote Originally Posted by BigSmoke View Post
    If you want to be a political advisor for campaigns or in DC, you most likely don’t need a MA, you need experience first. I’ve done the campaign life and I’m a policy staffer on the Hill - the vast majority of my colleague under 30 don’t have advanced degrees.
    What’s a good way to get experience without an advanced degree. What volunteer or job opportunities should I look into?

Quote Originally Posted by Beatz View Post
    What’s a good way to get experience without an advanced degree. What volunteer or job opportunities should I look into?

Do you want to do campaigns or policy? State or federal? For campaigns, start volunteering on local elections on the weekends/bigger elections during the summer. If it’s policy you want to do, you basically have to do an internship. Something like 95% of my office interned on the Hill first.

Do you want to do campaigns or policy? State or federal? For campaigns, start volunteering on local elections on the weekends/bigger elections during the summer. If it’s policy you want to do, you basically have to do an internship. Something like 95% of my office interned on the Hill first.
    I want to do policy. I’m leaning towards federal but state could be a good starting point. I don’t know if I’ll be able to do internships because I’ll still be in the military while I’m training my masters.

Quote Originally Posted by Beatz View Post
    I want to do policy. I’m leaning towards federal but state could be a good starting point. I don’t know if I’ll be able to do internships because I’ll still be in the military while I’m training my masters.
    If you want to do federal, don’t start with state. I know of one person (in the five plus years I’ve done this) who has made that transition.

Okay let’s back up - are you currently active duty? What level of education have you already completed? Are you currently working on a masters?

If you want to do federal, don’t start with state. I know of one person (in the five plus years I’ve done this) who has made that transition.

Okay let’s back up - are you currently active duty? What level of education have you already completed? Are you currently working on a masters?
    I’m currently active duty and will complete my bachelors in the next semester. I wanted to get a start on ideas for a masters degree.

Ahhhhhhh, okay. The focus on a MA makes more sense then. If you’re going to do one now, I’d agree with the other posts that public policy would probably be the safest bet. The exception would be if you know you wanted to do foreign policy or defense policy, where you might be better served with a more focused MA (which is what I’m doing now). Don’t know much about policy focused MBAs but I know a couple of people with MPPs.

Thank you for your help. I’ll probably lean more towards public policy when i look into a masters program.

Look into public policy or public administration degrees. GWU has a political management degree program. There are also scholarships like the presidential management fellowship. Above all though I’d suggest you volunteer for campaigns and brush up on some statistics.

Ahhhhhhh, okay. The focus on a MA makes more sense then. If you’re going to do one now, I’d agree with the other posts that public policy would probably be the safest bet. The exception would be if you know you wanted to do foreign policy or defense policy, where you might be better served with a more focused MA (which is what I’m doing now). Don’t know much about policy focused MBAs but I know a couple of people with MPPs.
    Thank you

Master in Public Policy (MPP) or Masters in Statistics could be good, especially if you want to get into polling.

Also consider economics, public health, international affairs, or any policy area.

I see Thanks for your reply