+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 16 of 18

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    131

    Italy leave the EU

    With a populist government coming to power soon between Lega and the 5 Star Movement parties after the elections back in March, many people fear this will cause tensions with the EU. Berlusconi and his party will stay out of this government, preventing a moderating force in this populist government. Do you believe that Italy will leave the EU soon? How will their relationship with the EU change?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    65

    Re: Italy leave the EU

    Unlikely, the EU is still quite popular in Italy. The LN may want secession, but I don't see the five stars doing it yet. Pretty much none of the other parties have the interest or the will to do it. Barring a Greek situation I doubt it's happening anytime soon..

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    131

    Re: Italy leave the EU

    Quote Originally Posted by BigSmoke View Post
    Unlikely, the EU is still quite popular in Italy. The LN may want secession, but I don't see the five stars doing it yet. Pretty much none of the other parties have the interest or the will to do it. Barring a Greek situation I doubt it's happening anytime soon..
    There was an interesting poll some time ago that showed how a majority of people in the different EU countries believed that another nation would secede from the EU after Brexit, but a minority of people though it would be their country.
    I can't remember which poll it was sadly, so take what I say with a grain of salt. But it was an interesting result

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    65

    Re: Italy leave the EU

    Quote Originally Posted by Beatz View Post
    There was an interesting poll some time ago that showed how a majority of people in the different EU countries believed that another nation would secede from the EU after Brexit, but a minority of people though it would be their country.
    I can't remember which poll it was sadly, so take what I say with a grain of salt. But it was an interesting result
    I remember a lot of Brexit lovers predicted the COMPLETE AND UTTER COLLAPSE OF THE EU, but it's unclear who else it would be. Denmark used to dislike it, but that has dropped off. While some European parties dislike the euro, few to none of the ones with any chance of power seriously discuss secession.

    Now if it was the euro that's a whole other discussion. Pretty sure Greece is heavily considering it, and there's definitely been some talk there. Schengen has stayed surprisingly supported. But the EU overall? Unlikely in the current climate.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    131

    Re: Italy leave the EU

    Leaving the Euro is leaving the EU, you can't legally do one without the other. This question came up with regards to the Greeks.

    If Italy leaves the Eurozone, it is highly likely the euro would end in its current form, especially if the transition was successful. No more Italy would leave to substantial EUR appreciation, putting even more pressure on the Greeks and other southern European countries.

    It is going to be weird to see how the 5S and League reconcile their fiscal prescriptions and the EU's fiscal rules.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    68

    Re: Italy leave the EU

    the stability of the EU certainly is in question for the next decade or two. the italian people are very angry about many topics and the EU isn't democratic enough to allow for reforms, a fatal design flaw.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    131

    Re: Italy leave the EU

    Quote Originally Posted by BloodClaw View Post
    the stability of the EU certainly is in question for the next decade or two. the italian people are very angry about many topics and the EU isn't democratic enough to allow for reforms, a fatal design flaw.
    If anything, you could argue that the EU is to democratic to allow reforms. The only reason that the EU doesn't have a finance minister yet, or hasn't centralised even more is that politicians are afraid of the populists back home.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    68

    Re: Italy leave the EU

    Quote Originally Posted by Beatz View Post
    If anything, you could argue that the EU is to democratic to allow reforms. The only reason that the EU doesn't have a finance minister yet, or hasn't centralised even more is that politicians are afraid of the populists back home.

    there are entire branches of the EU made up of non elected officials, yea they are starting to get scared of the populists back home.....but they earned that by being totally undemocratic shit

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    131

    Re: Italy leave the EU

    Quote Originally Posted by BloodClaw View Post
    there are entire branches of the EU made up of non elected officials, yea they are starting to get scared of the populists back home.....but they earned that by being totally undemocratic shit

    Every governement's bureaucracy is made up of unelected officials, so that's a weird argument. All the people with real power in the EU are chosen by the governements of the member states, wich are all democratic as far as I'm concerned.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    68

    Re: Italy leave the EU

    they earned that by being totally undemocratic shit

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    131

    Re: Italy leave the EU

    Quote Originally Posted by BloodClaw View Post
    they earned that by being totally undemocratic shit
    Why do you think this? The EU's executive (the Commision) is made up entirely of people chosen by the democratic governements of the member states. IIRC the comission is also approved by the EU parliament, wich is directly chosen by all EU citizens.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    68

    Re: Italy leave the EU

    Although those are chosen by elected governments.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    37

    Re: Italy leave the EU

    Well No.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    131

    Re: Italy leave the EU

    Quote Originally Posted by DwCLorck View Post
    Well No.
    That is it? Such a simple answer? I guess it makes somewhat sense since Italy does have a positive view of the EU and the only party that wants to break off from the EU completely is Lega since the 5 Star Movement moderated their stance.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    37

    Re: Italy leave the EU

    If Italy leaves then the EU is probably done. And Italy is way to important and big (a founder!) for other member states strike a deal.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    227

    Re: Italy leave the EU

    I am sure that it won't ever happen. Italy really is a huge country, I mean, just look at their population - https://populationstat.com/italy/ . So EU would do anything not to let it happen.

Similar Threads

  1. Osanna advisors in latina italy
    By Xxyopty in forum Mail Order Scams
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-25-2018, 03:26 AM
  2. Scam loans in Italy and Switzerland
    By revolutive in forum Internet Scams
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-23-2017, 10:30 AM
  3. RTF Italy Earthquake
    By falconsfan15 in forum Mail Order Scams
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-17-2016, 01:03 PM
  4. RTF Italy Earthquake
    By falconsfan15 in forum Mail Order Scams
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-13-2016, 05:14 PM
  5. Anarchal freaks threaten Italy.
    By danrush1966 in forum Political Scams
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-24-2010, 06:31 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
  •