+ Reply to Thread

6th Party System to the 7th?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sixth_Party_System
    Every party system has lasted about four or so decades, give or take.
    With the election of Donald Trump disrupting political norms, do you think our party system might undergo a radical shift?

Re: 6th Party System to the 7th?

It's far too early to tell. At the moment, Trumpism is a one-time thing. He's a one-term president and we have to see if his eventual successor in 2020 or 2024 is a Trumpist candidate.

What gives you that impression? Trump has already announced he's running in 2020, he already has his campaign slogan and hired a campaign manager

I'm sorry, but did you need read the beginning of the sentence? I added the modifier "at the moment".

How does that disprove what I said?

Because I said it's an at the moment thing and you're acting like it's a continuous thing when we have no proof of that.

I already addressed how he announced he's running in 2020, already has a campaign manager, and even a campaign slogan. Also, his approval ratings have been rising for the past couple weeks, you make it seem like he's going to resign at any moment.

he's still deep in the red, and lost over a point in just the last two days. You have a long way to go before you can plausibly argue trump is even as popular as when he became the least popular man in history to be appointed president.

It's wild to hear a GOP defender try and proclaim any other party as toxic, or too dependent on identity politics.But, fwiw, if you were going to bet on the future, women and minorities are where the vote trends are growing. Playing to angry white guys at the expense of other demographics is a death sentence.

More like when your opponents messaging is strong enough that low information voters think that is their strategy.

No. The south and Midwest are still consistently voting republican. The coasts and urban areas are still consistently voting Democrat. You've got some exceptions in places like New Hampshire, and West Virginia has has a huge shift, but it hasn't really happened on a country wide level and I don't think we're in the middle of it.

The presidential election was wonky because both parties ran very unpopular candidates. It wasn't a shift in the electorate. The other races ended up with conventional results.

the shifts between previous party systems weren't really electorate shifts, but shifts of the politicians in the parties.

perfect NAME for the ABOMINATON we have as RESIDENT mr. SHIFTY/GRIFTY!!
    i do not endorse/recommend any advertising on scam.com associated with my name /posts or otherwise. thank you