+ Reply to Thread

ThredUP ripped me off!

As a public service, I want to share my unbelievably horrible experience with thredUP. In case you aren't familiar with them, they are an online clothing resale company. I did a major closet clean out in December and sent three very large bags of brand new, high quality clothing and shoes to thredUP. Of the first two bags, they accepted 26 items, and my payout was just over $15. You read that right....less than $.60 per item. And because I requested that my remaining items be returned to me (for $10.99 shipping), I'll be netting a whole $4.62 for my 26 items. Unfortunately, rejecting the offer is not an option, so I had no choice but to just accept the staggering loss. Just when I thought it couldn't get worse, I received an email claiming that the third bag "contained insects and was thrown away", with absolutely no supporting evidence. I personally packed and sealed that bag and can guarantee that there were no insects in it, yet I have no way to prove it. For all I know, they're happily selling it's contents as I type this. I am literally sick that I sent THOUSANDS of dollars worth of clothing and shoes to thredUP only to essentially have it stolen from me. I would have much rather given these items to friends or donated them to people in need than to have this incredibly dishonest company profit from it. I used to be a huge fan of buying from thredUP, but I can never buy from them again now that I know how much they take advantage of their sellers. The damage is done for me, but please spread this information far and wide so that you can help prevent this from happening to anyone else.

Re: ThredUP ripped me off!

Quote Originally Posted by Gomezlor View Post
    As a public service, I want to share my unbelievably horrible experience with thredUP. In case you aren't familiar with them, they are an online clothing resale company. I did a major closet clean out in December and sent three very large bags of brand new, high quality clothing and shoes to thredUP. Of the first two bags, they accepted 26 items, and my payout was just over $15. You read that right....less than $.60 per item. And because I requested that my remaining items be returned to me (for $10.99 shipping), I'll be netting a whole $4.62 for my 26 items. Unfortunately, rejecting the offer is not an option, so I had no choice but to just accept the staggering loss. Just when I thought it couldn't get worse, I received an email claiming that the third bag "contained insects and was thrown away", with absolutely no supporting evidence. I personally packed and sealed that bag and can guarantee that there were no insects in it, yet I have no way to prove it. For all I know, they're happily selling it's contents as I type this. I am literally sick that I sent THOUSANDS of dollars worth of clothing and shoes to thredUP only to essentially have it stolen from me. I would have much rather given these items to friends or donated them to people in need than to have this incredibly dishonest company profit from it. I used to be a huge fan of buying from thredUP, but I can never buy from them again now that I know how much they take advantage of their sellers. The damage is done for me, but please spread this information far and wide so that you can help prevent this from happening to anyone else.
    A few months ago I found Thredup and have enjoyed purchasing apparel from their website. I haven't sent anything to them to be sold. After reading this post I went to the site to read the info for payouts etc on apparel sent to them. It's pretty iffy, they are clear in telling you you may not get any money for the clothing you send to them. Wow They only accept 40% of the items sent to them and the items they do accept go through a rigorous approval process. Doubt I would even bother sending anything to them but I'll keep shopping their site, lots of good deals and also brand new clothes at a great price. Thanks for letting us know your experience with Thredup, sorry you feel cheated. Oh and to anyone shopping at Thredup be sure and check original pricing on clothing to be sure you're getting the deal you think you are. Some original pricing is not accurate.