+ Reply to Thread

Oh-bama's Failed Foreign Policy

http://foreignpolicy.com/2017/01/18/...olicy-failure/

The result was a legacy of foreign-policy missteps that helped propel Donald Trump into the White House.
    For starters, Obama was persuaded to escalate the war in Afghanistan in 2009, in a pointless “surge” that was doomed to fail and did. Instead of acknowledging that U.S. interests were minimal and the war was unwinnable, his policies prolonged U.S. involvement to no good purpose and ate up a lot of his time and attention. He also decided to embrace and expand many aspects of the Bush administration’s approach to the “war on terror,” especially the use of drones and special operations forces to chase down suspected terrorists all over the world. He rightly banned torture — which is both ineffective and illegal — but otherwise let U.S. intelligence agencies off the hook for their past excesses and did little to rein them in when they overstepped on his watch, as the CIA did when it repeatedly tried to interfere with Senate investigations of the so-called torture regime. Meanwhile, his administration prosecuted whistleblowers and journalists with more vigor than any of his predecessors. The result? The United States is conducting counterterrorism operations in more places than ever before, albeit without apparent success, and Donald Trump has inherited a set of tools he can use to suppress honest reporting if he wishes. Any bets on what he’s likely to do?

Second, Obama and his team misread and mishandled the Arab Spring. As Joshua Landis explains in a remarkable, must-read interview, the U.S. response to these events — and especially Syria — was ill-conceived from the very start. In particular, Obama and his team mistakenly viewed the Arab Spring as a large-scale, grass-roots uprising clamoring for liberal democracy and embraced it too quickly. They also underestimated the ability of violent extremists to exploit power vacuums in failed states and the resilience of authoritarian regimes in places like Syria or Egypt. These misunderstandings led to Obama’s disastrous intervention in Libya, his inept diplomatic interference in Yemen, and the premature demand that “Assad must go” in Syria. As regular readers know, I think Obama made the right call when he decided not to wade deeper into the Syrian quagmire, but his handling of this admittedly turbulent and difficult-to-read process can hardly be considered a success.

Regarding Israel-Palestine, Obama took office vowing to achieve a two-state solution by the end of his first term, and he and his second-term secretary of state, John Kerry, devoted endless hours to this quixotic quest. Unfortunately, they followed the standard “peace process” playbook and got the same results their predecessors did. A two-state solution is further away than ever and probably impossible, in part because Obama never seemed to grasp that relying on pro-Israel advisors with a long track record of not producing an agreement was a pretty good way to guarantee failure again. Nor did Obama and Kerry ever realize that Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu was not interested in a genuine two-state solution and that Israel was never going to cut a deal unless the United States made it clear that failing to do so would lead to dramatic reductions in U.S. military aid and diplomatic protection. Obama’s offer of ever larger bribes of U.S. military aid proved inadequate to the task, as Netanyahu quite sensibly pocketed the offer and dug in his heels, even flying to Washington to dis the president in public. I understand why Obama felt he had to tolerate this sort of abuse from a dependent client state (after all, I wrote a book about it), but if he was unwilling to play hardball, he shouldn’t have promised to deliver a solution and shouldn’t have wasted any time or energy on it.

Obama’s handling of Russia deserves no plaudits either. The early attempt at a “reset” made sense, but Obama and his advisors never understood that what they regarded as innocent and legitimate efforts to strengthen democracy in Eastern Europe or in Russia itself were not going to be viewed as benign by Moscow. Even worse, the White House appears to have been asleep at the switch in the months preceding the crisis in Ukraine and ended up blindsided by Russian President Vladimir Putin’s decision to annex Crimea. Moscow’s actions are regrettable on many levels, but Obama and the people in charge of U.S. policy in Eastern Europe should not have been surprised. Great powers are always sensitive to events near their borders, and Moscow had made it clear, at least since 2008, that it would not let Ukraine or Georgia drift toward NATO without a fight. It was also abundantly clear that Putin saw U.S. and EU efforts to draw Ukraine to the West as a step toward bringing them into NATO, and he had both the motivation and the ability to stop it. And he did.
    Originally Posted by nomaxim
    Sorry there ''ohein56', but it appears that 'Joecool44' does not have the position that you envision on this topic.

'Joecool44' has, as a matter of routine, refuted most of your accusations
    Quote Originally Posted by Jax74 View Post
    Some people have the ability to think critically, some do not. ohein obviously doesn't.

Re: Oh-bama's Failed Foreign Policy

PROPAGANDA PIECE!!
    i do not endorse/recommend any advertising on scam.com associated with my name /posts or otherwise. thank you

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/josep...b_8324094.html
    Sorry there ''ohein56', but it appears that 'Joecool44' does not have the position that you envision on this topic.

Some people have the ability to think critically, some do not. ohein obviously doesn't.

WHAT huffpost tryin ta be fair and BALANCED!? that author is a military commentator self proclaimed expert from a think tank!?!? he hates EVERYONE since ww1 cuz his HINDSIGHT is 20-20!! he's a WAR HAWK as they are commonly called!! i wanna see his article on tRUMP!!
    i do not endorse/recommend any advertising on scam.com associated with my name /posts or otherwise. thank you

Quote Originally Posted by lexx View Post
    WHAT huffpost tryin ta be fair and BALANCED!? that author is a military commentator self proclaimed expert from a think tank!?!? he hates EVERYONE since ww1 cuz his HINDSIGHT is 20-20!! he's a WAR HAWK as they are commonly called!! i wanna see his article on tRUMP!!
    What does lexx know about fair and balanced?

Quote Originally Posted by Cnance View Post
    What does lexx know about fair and balanced?
    Lexx doesn't know sh*t. He complains but his main sources are "occupy democrats" and some crooks and liars website, a liberal left wing rag.

Lexx can return to his masturbation. I'm done with him since he can't carry on a semi intelligent debate.

Quote Originally Posted by Joecool44 View Post
    Lexx doesn't know sh*t. He complains but his main sources are "occupy democrats" and some crooks and liars website, a liberal left wing rag.

Lexx can return to his masturbation. I'm done with him since he can't carry on a semi intelligent debate.
    no your NOT!! becuz then you would be NO BETTER than ME you might say!? so the topic is FAILED foreign policy!? all the CRITICS of presidents foreign policies seem to know more than they do!! how come THESE people are not RUNNING the show!?

Quote Originally Posted by lexx View Post
    no your NOT!! becuz then you would be NO BETTER than ME you might say!? so the topic is FAILED foreign policy!? all the CRITICS of presidents foreign policies seem to know more than they do!! how come THESE people are not RUNNING the show!?

all PRESIDENTS blame things on the PAST even your SWEETHEART PUSSYGRABBER!! it's all OBAMA'S FAULT!!

Name:  donald-trump-debbie-brown.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  64.5 KB

I can see Lexx is already up to #3.

Quote Originally Posted by Joecool44 View Post

Name:  disaproval.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  69.5 KB

Turns out O'bama gave Iran hundreds of millions of dollars for lying about not having nuclear weapons. Just another O'bama failure. An expensive one at that.