+ Reply to Thread

Beware! Best Learning of Beijing, China is a scam school chain - AVOID TEFL Teachers

Name:  scam-alert-shutterstock_1500px-300x185.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  24.7 KB

This school is cheating not only foreign teachers but most of all Chinese school kids and their mothers. I went to two different job interviews with them and had a difficult time getting straight answers about their SAFEA registration and the visa support they would provide me. The evasive answers alerted me that something was just not right. Even though this is a huge chain operation with almost 100 locations across China, it is Chinese-owned with more than 300 foreign teachers employed with them. The problem is that after I talked with nine of these foreign teachers, I found out that more than 80% of them are fake teachers with no previous teaching experience. And any teacher that is working there less than a year is doing so illegally without a Z Visa - which means they could be arrested and deported any day. (http://chinascampatrol.wordpress.com)

When I spoke with a HR girl named "Mary" (the only name she would give me) I finally got real direct with her and asked if they will provide me with a Z visa. And her answer was alarming "We will give you visa support" but she would not admit that I would not get a Z visa. Finally, I asked to meet her boss and that is when she finally said "Look, the owners of this company are super connected and never need to worry about a Z visa is you stay out of trouble"). So when I asked what visa they would give me she said they would give me an F visa (business visa) and not hire me as a teacher, but as a "marketing consultant", even though I would really be a full time teacher. When I insisted that I would not work without a Z visa she immediately offered me more money (a total of 16,000) and promised to get me a Z visa "within 6 months". I asked her if she would put that in the contract and she falt out said "No".

I then discovered that this company uses three different names to recruit TEFL teachers abroad including Beile Training, Best Learning, and Best ESL Abroad. The ad I responded to was a blind ad on the Beijinger with no company name at all. But all three companies are owned by: China Shanghai Jingmei Business Consulting Co., Ltd. Because I am an English speaker from America she tried really hard to recruit me but when I asked to see the contract and take it home to read over, she refused and said I can have a copy only after I signed it! So like what are they hiding? I started reading the contract in the office and she kept trying to distract me and I finally said I needed 15 minutes to read the contract. She said she had to to got to lunch so I decided to take a photo of the contract with my phone and she immediately grabbed the contract and said the interview was over! I did manage to read a few paragraphs however and learned that the contract makes foreign expat teachers violate China labor laws and overtime work is not paid and that teachers are obligated to performe "other marketing support activities."

Btw, I was not allowed to see their business license nor SAFEA registration. I think if they were on the up and up, this would not be a problem for them. I checked the SAIC online database and could not find them listed anywhere under any of their three names. And although they are only recently mentioned at http://reddit.com/r/chinatefl, I found out today they have been blacklisted since 2012 by the CTA and CFTU. I guess nobody does much homework when looking for teaching jobs in China.

Now when I left the place there were three expat teachers having a smoke break outside and so I tried to get their feedback and they were brutally honest with me. They told me this company provided them all with fake diplomas and TEFL certificates and "even has three exits in case the PSB shows up". That told me all I wanted to know. I feel badly for the Chinese mothers who pay good money to get fake teachers teaching their kids bad grammar and slang language. I also wonder if these fake teachers would ever allow fake teachers to teach their own kids one day?
    Last edited by Public Warning; 11-30-2017 at 08:16 PM.

Re: Beware! Best Learning of Beijing, China is a scam school chain - AVOID TEFL Teachers

Do they use "Warehousing Contracts"? for their teachers?

Re: Beware! Best Learning of Beijing, China is a scam school chain - AVOID TEFL Teachers

Quote Originally Posted by Turd Handler View Post
    Do they use "Warehousing Contracts"? for their teachers?

Sorry, but can you explain what you mean by "warehousing contracts". Also here is more background on this Best Learning from 2013. It seems like they have a pattern of using and abusing their own teachers. https://chinadailymail.com/2013/09/3...xpat-teachers/

More wonderful reviews about Best Learning which is now starting to advertise more and more as Beile Training Center. http://127.0.0.1:8580/do/zaaZ3/otoLO...earningenglish

Just curious, is the operation still owned by Larry & Jackie or did they sell out and if so to who?
    Trust only your birth mother!

LoL there, Bruce.

urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=127.0.0.1;
    Name:  localhost.1.PNG
Views: 122
Size:  25.3 KB
    Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. -C. Darwin

stupid is as stupid does.

I can't believe anybody still falls for this!