+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Evidnce That Supports Biblical Passage

https://www.yahoo.com/news/archaeolo...123315016.html

Archaeologists excavating in Jerusalem have found burned artifacts dating from 2,600 years ago – which prove that a passage in the Bible is true.

Researchers uncovered charred wood, grape seeds, fish scales, bones and pottery while digging in the City of David in Jerusalem.

The find provides evidence that the Babylonians ‘burned all the houses of Jerusalem’, described in the book of Jeremiah.

Researchers from the Israel Antiquities Authority found the artifacts beneath layers of rock in the City of David – along with jars with seals which enabled the researchers to date the artifacts.

‘These seals are characteristic of the end of the First Temple Period,’ said Dr Joe Uziel of the Israel Antiquities Authority, ‘Used for the administrative system that developed towards the end of the Judean dynasty.’
    Originally Posted by nomaxim
    Sorry there ''ohein56', but it appears that 'Joecool44' does not have the position that you envision on this topic.

'Joecool44' has, as a matter of routine, refuted most of your accusations
    Quote Originally Posted by Jax74 View Post
    Some people have the ability to think critically, some do not. ohein obviously doesn't.

Re: Evidnce That Supports Biblical Passage

hardly proves a biblical passage CONCLUSIVELY!? just a possibility!?
    i do not endorse/recommend any advertising on scam.com associated with my name /posts or otherwise. thank you

Quote Originally Posted by lexx View Post
    hardly proves a biblical passage CONCLUSIVELY!?
    I never said "proves". I said evidence.

I guess comprehension is not your strong point.
    Sorry there ''ohein56', but it appears that 'Joecool44' does not have the position that you envision on this topic.

Some people have the ability to think critically, some do not. ohein obviously doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Joecool44 View Post
    I never said "proves". I said evidence.

I guess comprehension is not your strong point.
    ok THANKS but you know you have to corral the WANNA believers before they get wind!? maybe i just shoulda said FAKE NEWS!?
    i do not endorse/recommend any advertising on scam.com associated with my name /posts or otherwise. thank you

"Archaeologists excavating in Jerusalem have found burned artifacts dating from 2,600 years ago – which prove that a passage in the Bible is true".

Nobody said that the entire bible consists of total fabrication but what exactly does this prove in relation to the bible? That every word of it is true?

"Researchers uncovered charred wood, grape seeds, fish scales, bones and pottery while digging in the City of David in Jerusalem.
    The find provides evidence that the Babylonians ‘burned all the houses of Jerusalem’, described in the book of Jeremiah".

I couldn't see the Babylonians being convicted of arson based on this evidence.

This sounds like another desperate attempt to give total validity to the collection known as the bible.

I personally have always referred to the bible as a collection of myths, legends, fictional stories, histories and some very worthwhile philosophies from men who gave great consideration to what they observed and knew of life. Some will argue and some will agree. Wonder what the leaning of the source of this latest great find is

Quote Originally Posted by chesty View Post
    [I] This sounds like another desperate attempt to give total validity to the collection known as the bible.
    There's plenty of evidence to support events and descriptions of thing from the Bible. This is just one piece.

There's plenty of evidence to support events and descriptions of thing from the Bible. This is just one piece.
    How about evidence of the "ultimate" issue. As I said, its a collection. Now, show me your evidence and we'll decide how relevant it is to the "ultimate" issue. I already know where this one is going. Try to remain objective and I will maintain a similar demeanor.

Incidentally, instead of picking just one piece of my reply because it suits the purpose of putting a totally negative and confrontational slant on my position, how about dealing with what I said in totality? Inclusive of the final paragraph.
    Last edited by chesty; 08-04-2017 at 02:35 PM.

https://amazingbibletimeline.com/blo...l_proof_bible/

4. For example, until 1993 there was no proof of the existence of King David or even of Israel as a nation prior to Solomon. Then in 1993 archeologists found proof of King David’s existence outside the Bible. At an ancient mound called Tel Dan, in the north of Israel, words carved into a chunk of basalt were translated as “House of David” and “King of Israel”. This proved that David was more than just a legend.
    6. R.D. Wilson who wrote “A Scientific Investigation of the Old Testament” pointed out that the names of 29 Kings from ten nations (Egypt, Assyria, Babylon and more) are mentioned not only in the Bible but are also found on monuments of their own time. Every single name is transliterated in the Old Testament exactly as it appears on the archaeological artifact – syllable for syllable, consonant for consonant. The chronological order of the kings is correct.
    Mention of Jesus can also be found in Jewish Rabbinical writings from what is known as the Tannaitic period, between 70-200 A.D. In Sanhedrin 43a it says:

“Jesus was hanged on Passover Eve. Forty days previously the herald had cried, ‘He is being led out for stoning, because he has practiced sorcery and led Israel astray and enticed them into apostasy. Whoever has anything to say in his defence, let him come and declare it.’ As nothing was brought forward in his defence, he was hanged on Passover Eve.”

That there is any mention of Jesus at all is unususal. As far as the Roman world was concerned, Jesus was a nobody who live in an insignificant province, sentenced to death by a minor procurator.

Allow me to quote myself as I think you may have missed this.....

"I personally have always referred to the bible as a collection of myths, legends, fictional stories, histories and some very worthwhile philosophies from men who gave great consideration to what they observed and knew of life. Some will argue and some will agree. Wonder what the leaning of the source of this latest great find is".

I have never rubbished everything in the bible. I have provoked discussion with so called Christians who have never even picked it up. I have seen, in the bible, (especially OT) some cryptic philosophies that may have been misunderstood and spent time discussing possible meanings to them. When you consider that the men who first considered these matters had only a fraction of the information that we have to consider, you have to give respect to their conclusions. At least they were not too lazy to think. The bible (Genesis) is written from the point of view (you know well the expression POV "joe") of someone standing on earth and looking out to space (or the heavens) and getting it wrong and not from the point of view of an entity out in "heaven" looking in and getting it right. Accept whatever conditioning you wish to convince yourself of "Joe" but consider this. IF we were all created by something so powerful and were given the ability to think and to consider and to solve problems, do you think this entity would be happy that some of us were just too lazy to be bothered looking. There is a very interesting discussion to be had here but if you are just going to throw "scripture" at it then sit back, whats the point? I think you are frightened to step outside the ZONE as this is the trap your teaching has created. I could just become abusive but whats the point in that (unless you're the king of dinosaurs)?

Do you believe that an explosion (big bang) occurred and the planets miraculously aligned themselves, including rotation, took place and despite the chaos, one planet called earth happened to be distanced perfectly from the sun in order to be able to support life?

Do you believe that an explosion (big bang) occurred and the planets miraculously aligned themselves, including rotation, took place and despite the chaos, one planet called earth happened to be distanced perfectly from the sun in order to be able to support life?
    Really. That one again. In less than 40 words, you have just cleared it all up. It was so simple. How did I possibly miss that. Watch Cosmos (the new one) That gives a bit more of a complex explanation of the formation of the universe and I am certainly not getting into quantum physics on this or any forum where everything must be repeated to each and every individual.

Now, the big unknown is "how can something come from nothing"? That is still an unknown. I have heard some theories but none proven and until they are proven, I wont accept them and I will NOT just insert a simple and ridiculous answer in the place of actual knowledge. The bigger question to me is what I call the small bang. Consciousness, self awareness, realization, whatever it is called, it cannot be explained and has not been identified. God did it? then WHAT is god. I am so tired of this ridiculous argument.

Now. What do you REALLY believe and how much have you actually considered.

LoL,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iliad;
    The Iliad (/ˈɪliəd/;[1] Ancient Greek: Ἰλιάς Ilias, pronounced [iː.li.ás] in Classical Attic; sometimes referred to as the Song of Ilion or Song of Ilium) is an ancient Greek epic poem in dactylic hexameter, traditionally attributed to Homer. Set during the Trojan War, the ten-year siege of the city of Troy (Ilium) by a coalition of Greek states, it tells of the battles and events during the weeks of a quarrel between King Agamemnon and the warrior Achilles.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troy;
    Troy was added to the UNESCO World Heritage list in 1998.
    Athena, Hera, and Aphrodite (Greek Gods) along with Achilles, Odysseus (Latin name Ulysses) and many other historical figures appear in the Iliad.

Since we have found the city of Troy the Iliad must be true and the Greek Gods are real.

At least according to the logic of Joecool44.
    Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. -C. Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by nomaxim View Post
    LoL,
    Athena, Hera, and Aphrodite (Greek Gods) along with Achilles, Odysseus (Latin name Ulysses) and many other historical figures appear in the Iliad.
    Funny, those figures are not mentioned in the Bible, which is the topic of discussion.

By your logic, Zeus and Ares exist because they were mentioned in the movie "Wonder Woman".

Funny, those figures are not mentioned in the Bible, which is the topic of discussion.

By your logic, Zeus and Ares exist because they were mentioned in the movie "Wonder Woman".
    Umm, no.
    "Wonder Women" is a movie and a work of fiction, its a comic book story. I hope that you do not believe that fictional movies (comic books) are true.

You do realize the difference between 'reality' and 'fiction', correct?

Anyway, this is simple logic.

Your premise is;
    Evidence has been found to prove that the Bible(x) is true.

My premise is;
    Evidence has been found to prove that the Iliad(x) is true.

The logical premise is;
    Evidence has been found to prove that (x) is true.

The variable (x) is either true in both statements or it is false.

I understand that both 'statements' are 'false'. And that therefore both premise's are false.
    Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. -C. Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by chesty View Post
    Really. That one again. In less than 40 words, you have just cleared it all up. It was so simple. How did I possibly miss that. Watch Cosmos (the new one) That gives a bit more of a complex explanation of the formation of the universe and I am certainly not getting into quantum physics on this or any forum where everything must be repeated to each and every individual.

Now, the big unknown is "how can something come from nothing"? That is still an unknown. I have heard some theories but none proven and until they are proven, I wont accept them and I will NOT just insert a simple and ridiculous answer in the place of actual knowledge. The bigger question to me is what I call the small bang. Consciousness, self awareness, realization, whatever it is called, it cannot be explained and has not been identified. God did it? then WHAT is god. I am so tired of this ridiculous argument.

Now. What do you REALLY believe and how much have you actually considered.
    how about consciousness is the gift of god!? the god part of man?

Quote Originally Posted by lexx View Post
    how about consciousness is the gift of god!? the god part of man?
    Ok Lexx. Lets look at that submission. 2 things here. You refer to an unknown as "god" and you propose that this unknown which you have called god has presented a gift to man.
    The presentation of a "gift" would establish this unknown as a conscious entity, as only a conscious entity could present a gift. This is an unfounded assumption and if accepted without question, could lead forward to incorrect conclusions based on god as an evidently established premise. This is the root of the problem with religions. Moving forward from a totally unfounded premise using circular logic to have its existence accepted beyond question.

I have raised the question of Consciousness etc (call it what you will that may apply). I have stated that its cause is an unknown and therefore I have left the door open to search for knowledge and cause. You have accepted the premise of god as a fact and therefore you have nowhere to go. Why not just leave that door open and search for the light switch in the darkness. If what you call god is there, then you may find it. If not, then you may find the real answer. Does the train roll on or has it reached its destination? Mine is still rolling and I'm still smiling.
    Last edited by chesty; 08-05-2017 at 01:52 AM.