+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Maintaining multiple identities online

Is there anything wrong with maintaining multiple identities on a message board, blog, or other websites?

I have accused one person on Scam.com of maintaining at least two other identities. In this person's case, I believe that they are trying to build a "case" against Lifetime Fitness and I believe that they are using multiple identities to bolster their claims. Maybe they are thinking that if one person can't contribute to the negative image of a company, maybe two or more people can, even if they are all the same person. Who's ever going to know when it's all done under the guise of different usernames?

I wonder how many people have done this?

Has anyone ever befriended someone online for the sole purpose of learning their weaknesses, and then later burns them online while masquerading as someone else?

Re: Maintaining multiple identities online

Send me a PM of who the Username(s) are and I'll check IP addresses. We don't encourage multiple usernames and DON'T allow them if they are using multiple names on the same thread.

Lady Mod

war_man is offline the gatekeeper of honesty and integrity in self

I have a feeling Lady Mod. that this type of attempted behavior goes on here quite a bit, I m sure all moderaters have their hands full. I think it should be viewed as a highly illegal action and be delt with harshley...
    war_on_scam

while i do it at several other forums(not for the reasons the OP stated) i somehow have never felt the urge or need to do it here!?!blame george!!he's such a strate up guy!!so much heart!!hehe!!

maybe as long as it's not hurting anyone it's okay...but to do it to purposefully screw with a person or a business is just asinine.

But I guess I am learning that there are just a bunch of jerks out in the world! I've stayed indoors too long.

I usually change mine to Pacer Gremlin Matidor or any of the other AMC models. It really throws everyone off. Now if I really wanna screw with ya I switch to the Studebaker models.
    HEATHER FOREVER!!!!!Heather O'Rourke,I Love you!!:D 1975 -1988

I'm changing to zirchowviii and I will start berating myself in other threads.

coontie is offline Vashudeva; Ferryman - doing the work...

Quote Originally Posted by zirchowvii
    I'm changing to zirchowviii and I will start berating myself in other threads.

you're into sel-punishment eh?
    Wondered what your motive REALLY was.. this way you can come back and
    off yourself!
    anyone remember Dr. Strangelove and his notorious black-gloved left
    hand? :D
    Last edited by coontie; 01-23-2006 at 03:38 PM. Reason: spell

Nah, I just don't know why people would pretend to be other people...

It's like going out in public with a fake mustache and a giant hat. Just lame, and eventually someone will figure out who you are.

Quote Originally Posted by sojustask
    Send me a PM of who the Username(s) are and I'll check IP addresses. We don't encourage multiple usernames and DON'T allow them if they are using multiple names on the same thread.

Lady Mod
    How 'bout setting up some forum rules? Some "Sticky: Read before you post" kind of thing?

New members agree to the following:

Registration to this forum is free! We do insist that you abide by the rules and policies detailed below. If you agree to the terms, please check the 'I agree' checkbox and press the 'Register' button below. If you would like to cancel the registration, click here to return to the forums index.

Although the administrators and moderators of scams will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of scams, nor Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message.

By agreeing to these rules, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-orientated, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws.

The owners of scams reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.

How about some rules regarding links in signatures, links or referral links in posts, duplicate posts, how many warnings before a ban, how long the ban, when will a member be permanently banned, advertising, personal info, posting content from other websites etc.?

Quote Originally Posted by 6seven8
    How 'bout setting up some forum rules? Some "Sticky: Read before you post" kind of thing?

New members agree to the following:

Registration to this forum is free! We do insist that you abide by the rules and policies detailed below. If you agree to the terms, please check the 'I agree' checkbox and press the 'Register' button below. If you would like to cancel the registration, click here to return to the forums index.

Although the administrators and moderators of scams will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of scams, nor Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message.

By agreeing to these rules, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-orientated, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws.

The owners of scams reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.

How about some rules regarding links in signatures, links or referral links in posts, duplicate posts, how many warnings before a ban, how long the ban, when will a member be permanently banned, advertising, personal info, posting content from other websites etc.?

sounds like a good plan.

However, I have suspected that some people DO come on and use multiple
    identitites to:

-slant or bias voting.

- some individuals, such as on the "Internet Scams" forum use it to support
    their promotion of schemes, ideas, other stuff that going on that they are
    invested in and want the thing to suceed.

Seems like all they have to do is use a different email address, which is not
    a problem, use a fictitious name, that's the way to multiple identities.

Reasonable rules are good, but some people aren't interested in playing
    by the rules.

Quote Originally Posted by zirchowvii
    Nah, I just don't know why people would pretend to be other people...

It's like going out in public with a fake mustache and a giant hat. Just lame, and eventually someone will figure out who you are.

yeah, I agree. I was just having a little fun with you. But you are correct
    and I understand your attitude regarding this matter!

There's no doubt that some are posting under multiple identities - some even admit it. For example sherber11/gemini111 has posted that "she was banned" and continues to post. I think, more often than not, these people are just annoying. Credible information is what people are searching for here. Some "yahoo" who posts under multiple names is usually just as childish in their posts. Just a waste of space. Funny that they are often the ones who accuse other people of doing it. Poor jojaroan has been accused of being me. Perhaps LadyMod can vindicate her.

I don't believe that was the case after reading the Payten thread...I've been following the saga-sherber/gemini11 was attempting to find out why she was banned, and was being poked at by you. She wasn't trying to build a case with multiple user names against an individual or company by forging more than one identity. As for your friend Jojoran after reading the Payten thread, it looked to me like she was your friend that YOU tried to bring in to the conversation to make you try to look better. Maybe the moderators could check out your IP address, to see if you have more than one identity? People who throw stones shouldn't live in glass houses... :rolleyes:

Melamom - I welcome the mods to do just that - go ahead and post the results. I have absolutely nothing to hide. I do not promote any program or business on this forum or anywhere else. I do not "know" any other poster on this forum. Can you explain why it's acceptable for sherber to post after being banned? Why is it okay that she hi-jacks someone's thread to throw her little "pity party"? Can you give her an answer for the reason she was banned? She is both out of place and out of order in her conduct. She can message the "powers that be" just the same as you or I.

I just don't agree with you Linda...I'm sorry. I was following the Payten thread, and think it was quite sad that she was the person that was reprimanded. I don't really think it was called for, she was just defending her position, same as everybody. All a person has to do is read that thread. You weren't exactly a saint... ;)