+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Candy Scam?

Candy Scam?

Ever see those kids outside of supermarkets, or sometimes they show up at your door, with those totes full of candy? yah, they want like eight bucks for a box. They give some sob story and so forth... Well, i used to be a sucker for this untill tonight. I was at the supermarket and some kid walked up to me saying how he was selling candy to go to 6-Flags..yah yah, here, go away. Then as I was driving home I realized that this same kid was there 2 sundays ago saying how he was selling candy to go to basketball camp. Something is seriously wrong here. This kid, and perhaps all of them, are lying. This could be extremly lucrative if one was sick enough to exploit childern into selling over priced candy to kindhearted strangers. Am I over reacting or has any one heard of any truth to this?

Re: Candy Scam?

Yes, they ARE all lying. It's a gigantic conspiracy, orchestrated by the secret government, under the direction of the aliens and the antichrist.

Let me ask you a question: Did you ever think that maybe the kid is involved in MORE THAN ONE activity at school, maybe different groups like baseball and art, that might be trying to raise money at the same time? Did you roll that around in your brain before you decided you had stumbled upon the awful truth of a world-wide candy scam orchestrated by 8 year olds?

Hmmmm.

At the risk of being bashed myself ... all I will say is Yes I think it is a Scam ...

war_man is offline the gatekeeper of honesty and integrity in self User Rank

Quote Originally Posted by LukeD
    Ever see those kids outside of supermarkets, or sometimes they show up at your door, with those totes full of candy? yah, they want like eight bucks for a box. They give some sob story and so forth... Well, i used to be a sucker for this untill tonight. I was at the supermarket and some kid walked up to me saying how he was selling candy to go to 6-Flags..yah yah, here, go away. Then as I was driving home I realized that this same kid was there 2 sundays ago saying how he was selling candy to go to basketball camp. Something is seriously wrong here. This kid, and perhaps all of them, are lying. This could be extremly lucrative if one was sick enough to exploit childern into selling over priced candy to kindhearted strangers. Am I over reacting or has any one heard of any truth to this?
    I believe that it probally goes on more then anyone would like to think it does. Children are targets of these scammers who know they can make money soliciting small children. It is a growing problem in alot of areas.
    war_on_scam

Whenever someone sidles upto you in the street and quietly, whispers some sweet sounding Slick Appeal message - its a SCAM. The your common-sense deflection toy is the offer of sweets, candy, jars of honey, incense sticks, big flags, little flags, even little booklets giving us all having a better, sweeter, kinder world-world, its all a scam. You've been zeroed in on by a professional hustler, and take it from me even kids with a quick 30 word message to impart can soon become professionals.
    The hit rate is 4 mugs out of 10 for an amateur, the kid described above is another Babe Ruth, he can hit 7 mugs out of 10 approaches, and have them opening their purses for him. The split-is 50- 50. As for the so called charity cause - you must be joking .....................

Do any of you making these absurd comments actual have any kids in school? Did you go to school yourself?

Lets look at the characteristics of this:

1) Is the "scammer" promising something to you they don't deliver? NO - they are promissing a candy bar, which you do in fact receive.

2) Is the "scammer" ripping you off by selling you inferior or defective merchandise? NO. In most cases it's tasty chocolate and is quite satisfactory.

3) Is there some incredibly lucrative business outcome for the "scammer"? Any mercedes or pimped out hotwheels coming out of the deal? NO. Each bar of chocolate has a production cost and a selling price, and the profits reflect the difference thereof.

Now in what universe could a child selling you some chocolate for a few dollars be considered a scam? Do you also feel scammed when you local supermarket sells you milk and eggs? How about when mcdonalds sells you a big mac?

"Those McDonalds people SO SCAMMED ME! I gave them $2 and then they gave me this Big Mac sandwhich! Scammers! I'm gonna report them to the FBI, the CIA, the ASPCA, the NFL, the NBA, the AFLCIO, and the NHL!"

Don't you get tired of finding negativity and evil in every simple thing? These are children, most often selling some candy so their school band / choir / art club / whatever can make some money and go to location X to play, buy new instruments, etc. If you were ever in school and you ever did anything other than sit in the back row and pass notes to your buddies, you would know this.

Are there SOME nefarious kids cashing in on it? Probably. Are you getting your chocolate fix... are you getting the merchandise? YUP. So why in the world would you pick thisto have so much angst over? Do you think junior is getting rich selling chocolate on the street?

"Ooooooh. I better not buy thse cookies from little sally seesaw, because she might not really be collecting it so her girl scout troop can go to utah.
    But wait! The box of cookies DOES say girl scouts, and mmmm they are GOOD! And wait a second, why am I so bent outta shape over this anyway? Where is my prozac...."
    Last edited by ttupper; 01-06-2006 at 05:53 PM.

Remember simonsays that little kid that sold the over priced candy bar in
    15 years may sell that gold plated cigar lighter for $300.00.It doesn't matter
    if you smoke or not.

You people are all perilously close to crazy. Do you even realize what you are suggesting?

Every kid who lies as a child will probably become a pathological liar. Every kid who ever took something that wasn't theirs will become a professional thief. Every child who ever got into trouble for anything will become a major social deviant.

Give me a break.

The issue here isn't even whether or not some (few) kids out there might be making a few dollars by selling candy for a fake cause, anyway. The REAL issue is "why in the WORLD would you assume that every 8 year old you see selling candy is part of some global conspiracy." The issue is why some people see guile and deceit everywhere they look. What difference does it make if 1 out of every 100 of these kids isn't really selling chocolate to send his art club to the met? Didn't you still get your choco-nut-supremo bar? For crying out loud, don't you have anything better to do with yor life than imagine vast hordes of pre-teens involved in a secret candy-selling plot to control the world?

I am constantly amazed by the posts here. What gets me the most is this: there is somebody here (quite a few somebody's) slammin doors in 9 year old faces because of the mere suspicion that the money they just spent on a candy bar might not really be for that charitable cause... but these same people will go and buy a big mac or whatever from a company that unabashedly is all about the money for the personal gain of the few people at the top. Companies that, I might add, are so good at getting you to spend the last dollar from your pocket that you don't even realize they are doing it. What kind of sense, exactly, does that make?

It's like this:

"Man, I don't trust this 9 year old - that $2 dollars I just spent on that chocolate bar might not really be for a band trip to waterloo."

Then this:

"That Bill Gates is so cool. I sure like Bill. I just bought MicroSloth Obfuscator 8.9875, and it's great. I probably paid like, I dunno, 20 times what it cost them to make it, but it's all for a good cause - Bill really needs to have more wealth than the poorest 25% of the world's people COMBINED. I feel really good about my purchase of microsloth obfuscator 8.9875."

Does that make one lick of common sense at all? I suggest to you it doesn't... it's like refusing to help someone you merely suspect might misuse your $2 dollars... while not batting an eye when you buy something your friendly corporation unabashedly sells at 20 times the cost of manufacturing... because that's "what the market will bear".

I just don't get this: On the one hand you have the little kid with the tiny tiny possibility of NOT really spending the 2 dollars from your purchase on the charity they said it was for, and on the other you have the myriad of purchases you make every day for products you know are supporting the obscenely luxurious lives of people who don't care beans about you or anyone else, including the kid. And you choose the CHILD selling the $2 candy bar to get crazy over?

Get some perspective!
    Last edited by ttupper; 01-07-2006 at 12:45 AM.

Dear ttuper what's next a bag of $10.00 crack for $50.00.I nor any of my children were allowed to sell 50 cent candy bars for 2.00.Their are to many
    elders on fixed incomes that could never afford but just to see a child at
    their door, they would not refuse to buy.OK mow their grass take out their
    trash for a 1.00 but don't sell them something they don't need.Work for your
    money remember easy come easy go.simonsays their is only one road to
    heaven if you make a left turn you better make another right turn soon.

Simon, the only thing I can say to you is that you need to examine in a critical way the logic you are applying. The first thing you need to ask yourself is "are most of the children I see doing this really working to support their local charity?" If you can't answer that by saying "yes", you just have a serious disconnect from reality in my opinion, and I can't help you. On the other hand, if you accept that most of these kids really aren't little thieves and con artists, then you need to ask "what makes me think selling 2 dollar candy bars is ANYTHING like selling crack?"

I for one don't have a problem with kids selling candy bars to raise money for school events. I know that if I walk in my local gas station and buy a candy bar, it will cost me about $1. So, why exactly should I be upset at paying $2 so the kids can go to band camp? If they just asked me for the $2 I would give it - the candy bar is a bonus as far as I am concerned.

May I also say that I find it interesting that you reference the road to heaven in this context. You might want to examine what God has to say about generosity and giving - Matthew 25:31-46 is a great place to start. Pay close attention to verses 41-46; you might learn an important truth my friend. Here they are:

“Then He will also say to those on the left hand, ‘Depart from Me, you cursed, into the everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his angels: for I was hungry and you gave Me no food; I was thirsty and you gave Me no drink; I was a stranger and you did not take Me in, naked and you did not clothe Me, sick and in prison and you did not visit Me.’

“Then they also will answer Him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not minister to You?’ Then He will answer them, saying, ‘Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me.’ And these will go away into everlasting punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.”
    Do you get the gist of what God is saying, there?

I hope for your own sake you actually critically examine your own thinking, Simon. Really, why would you begrudge some little kid a measly $2 even if you thought there was a slight pssibility it wasn't legit? But of course, it's up to you what you think about it. Do read those scriptures, though - you really might find them interesting.

TTupper yer makin me wanna pee my pants at yer responses. If my kids have something to sell either for Gscouts or softball I sell the stuff at work or tell em to get off their butt & go door to door. Now I have seen kids selling candy claiming its for a group home out of Gary,Indiana. But I run into these kids all over the Chicago area on a school day. The kids are being scammed by the parents or parent. Or the the org is hiding behind the face of a church. If its tax free its good for me!!!
    HEATHER FOREVER!!!!!Heather O'Rourke,I Love you!!:D 1975 -1988

Quote Originally Posted by LukeD
    Aye...caught a little git in action once..not his fault really. His mother taught him from an early age I suspect. See, these two were homeless, he and his mum. They took charity from some church or other, who invited the little boy to join a children's club that met once a week. He was given a uniform that ordinarily the parents had to purchase..that sort of thing.

Imagine my surprise when out shopping, I happen upon the boy (in uniform) with his mother, selling odd lots of candy for the purposes of raising money for some sort of trip the troupe was taking. I knew first hand that this was an outright lie. The mother didn't know me, so I went about my business, later calling a source that could verify my suspicions.

The mother was confronted, and it was discovered that not only was she scamming passers-by, but doing so in front of the very shop wherein she had sent her son in over the past week to shoplift the wares.

Mother is gawd-knows where these days, and the boy, by last accounts, is now in jail for a string of petty thefts....

Innocence lost....

As a rule, I tend to avoid the cute little beggars....
    "At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid."
    Friedrich Nietzsche

I don't think anyone believes that the $2.00 candy bars that kids sell for school are the same as the $8.00 stale peanut brittle that the original poster was talking about. And right, it's not a scam in the sense that you are offered a product at a price, and you can take it or leave it.

The "scam" in this deal is that there are some fairly unpleasant adults behind the whole operation who train these kids to jerk your heartstrings with fake stories. And the kids don't get the money. It's like a pimp/prostitute situation. The candy sellers are the younger version. The teenaged version is the older kid who shows up at your door trying to sell you magazines to pay for his college tuition. There are adults in charge, they travel all over the country and the kids are basically runaways. They travel with these adults who give them food and shelter and not a lot more. They tell the kids how lucky they are, how good they've got it and that nobody else loves them, etc.

That's what can be wrong about kids selling you candy.

Anyway, I read about all this years ago, and I wouldn't know where to find the information/article or whatever about it now. Not even sure what to google to find it. "Stale peanut brittle?" If someone had a candy box, they could start with the candy mfr's name.

ya can buy many bottles of Thunderbird selling $2.00 boxes off M&Ms
    HEATHER FOREVER!!!!!Heather O'Rourke,I Love you!!:D 1975 -1988

You know, at one point I actually believed that most people are basically good and decent, and that they *want* to help others. The posts here show me another side of human nature - the side that is so rampantly self serving and deceitful that it will concoct enormous delusions rather than face the truth about its own greed and lack of generosity.

Has it occurred to you that you people will find ANY excuse to avoid giving up your measly $2 dollars? It's outright grotesque; even when you are getting the yummy chocoloate bar, you still find a reason to complain and distrust. Would you feel betetr if every child that approached you selling a candy bar identified him or herself as just a kid trying to start a business? Would that somehow make it more palatable?

I feel sad for you, truly. I hope and pray that you will figure out how myopic and egocentric your vision is, and that you'll make a turn from it as soon as you can. But i'm not holding my breath over here; if someone can concoct huge plots involving traveling bands of itenerant candy scam artists as a means of explaining why a child showed up at their door selling peanut brittle, that person can come up with anything. This all showcases, in my book, a very tenuous connection to reality.

I would just like to tell you that this is a major scam. I have been involved in charities for 6 years now. Going door to door and giving people heartfelt stories about dying children and programs that were being set up for them in communities all across the world. These stories always touched people in someway or another. The would listen to me, feel sorry for the kids and then run and get their checkbooks. Feeling that they just helped a needy child gave them much satisfaction, and they always got a reciept for their donations. I would tell them that i was doing this as part of a community service program that my high school was offering. This gave people assurance that I was just doing a good community thing. They never questioned me. I always made them feel that they did a good thing and that these kids really thanked them for all there support.

I was collecting 50 cents off every dollar that was supposed to go to these kids. That's right. I was 22 years old, telling people that i was in high school and getting paid an absolutly huge sum of money for all my "good efforts". There were always people above me collecting percentages off of what we collected as well. This is a business for most people. The community doesn't realize that these charity "bigshots" use young kids to go out and do their dirty work for them. I would strongly suggest to anyone donating to a charitable organization to ask these kids, if and how much they are getting paid. Going to Amusement Parks, and Basketball Camps, these are cop outs so that people feel that these kids are actually going out and doing their own good deeds, and rewarding themselves for their efforts. THEY ARE BEING PAID!!! Take it from someone who actually did this.

Be Safe, Ask Questions!!!!!!!