+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Caught out by human perspective

Quote Originally Posted by lexx
    what are the differences in complication then and now or whenever or whoever.what do you mean by complication!?less time to contemplate!?or too much to contemplate on!?..........or both!! :eek: :D :rolleyes:
    Formal education for starters, there is a minimum level of education a child is supposed to have these days. Some people back then would spend their whole lives and not have the book-smarts of a 10-year-old in our time.
    Job diversity is another thing, our economy is complex and structured much more than theirs was.
    There are plenty of things lexx and you don't need me to explain them to you, just use that good brain of yours instead of looking for things to argue about =)

Quote Originally Posted by SubJunk
    I think a good way to realise just how much of the Bible was made up by man without God's influence is to look at judgements based on common misbeliefs of the time.

Now, firstly, I'm not saying God didn't tell Noah the world was flooding, Noah didn't necessarily need to know it wasn't the entire world and God may have had His reasons for saying that instead of the truth, but maybe not as well.

The theory I've always favoured is that the Euphrates and Tigris rivers overflowed to the extent that they joined in the middle, and considering the limited forms of communication available back then it would have seemed like the whole world to them.

This can also be used for another point, that the Bible is meant to be taken loosely, not literally.
    For example, I don't think Genesis was ever meant to be scientifically accurate.
    God could've created the Big Bang and everything that followed, but instead of explaining this to a people who had absolutely no understanding of astrophysics He may have just given the abbreviated "7 day version".
    People of the time would've never been able to understand an explanation of the complex details.

This doesn't mean the stories aren't true in part, and the conclusions people draw after reading the stories don't need to necessarily change, but I think that if more people realised or just thought about the possibility that the Bible isn't an 100% accurate record of history and even that some of it may be coming directly from other past religions, there wouldn't be so many "fundamentalist" mistakes and silly justifications for wars.

Anyways, there's some thoughts, where's all yours? =)

I, frankly, don't care much of how I became, rather, what was the purpose to why I became... Also, if everyone agree's something can't come from nothing, why do we say God came from nothing and "just was." I'm sure it wouldn't make a difference, but surely there is more purpose to the creation of "Adam" than "Oh... I'm so bored... I need TV...hmm, reality TV... I know... lets put insignificant spec here, insignificant spec there... Yeah... that's good, now, lets see what happens!" Seriously, the bible doesn't seem to shed any light on this, which I think is far more relevant than "Oh no! We are gonna die one day!" Sheesh...

Was there something before God? What is the dimension that is deemed "heaven"? Is there dimensions that "heaven" resides in? Does it reside in anything at all? Is it a form of a paradox in existence where one needs no dimension to exist? Was God a spontatneous being? If yes, then there must be a dimension to create such a being ... thus, also meaning, requiring a previous creation of the dimension... Ugh... my head hurts so much... but it's too fascinating to let go! :mad:

Also, I'm sure it's more than 100% guaranteed there is other sentient life out there... if not now, at least eventually, considering how vast and many galaxies are, it would be foolish to think little green men don't exist... Is there a heaven for them as well? Do they come to the heaven that we know of? Will there be what looks like a Star Trek convention in cloud 9? :D Or, do we appear in heaven as formless creatures? Simply an essence of life with no bounding to simple limbs. If so, then perhaps the other sentient beings may appear formless as well? Showing how life is ultimately the same...
    Many questions yes... questions I hope people would answer thoroughly including opinions >.> If one does not know, then make up a hypothesis. =P
    Last edited by Viguro; 11-30-2005 at 04:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SubJunk
    Formal education for starters, there is a minimum level of education a child is supposed to have these days. Some people back then would spend their whole lives and not have the book-smarts of a 10-year-old in our time.
    Job diversity is another thing, our economy is complex and structured much more than theirs was.
    There are plenty of things lexx and you don't need me to explain them to you, just use that good brain of yours instead of looking for things to argue about =)
    so i'm argumentative am i!?some people have commented that once and awhile i make a surprise statement somewhere close to rational reason!?(must be a fall in the pot,here's what i got,thing)we're all looking for a leader.a daddy we can all be proud of.who wants to figure anything out for themselves!?or is it just me!?damn!!i hate that!!but anywho,you "know' i was just probing for a closer look at your own meanings.or more to the personal like confessional if you will.sin cant be forgiven until it is confessed.i mean if jesus said let your yes be yes and your no be no,and all else proceedeth from evil........then we are all here confessing our sin.and the meaning we "hold" to those words is what it's all about.to say life is more complicated means nothing to me unless you say why it is more complicated for you.and to say what complicated means is what i'm tryin to determine.mutually if allowed.i have no omnipitant trap to spring on anyone.even if it has seemed so by my plethora of posts.but we all suffer from a (self)persecution complex.NO LEXX, JUST YOU!!hehe!!now you know why it's so hard to trust god.(i sure dont!!)but my investigations into the reality of it all(who cares,just my own ego trip!!) tell me there is no other "safe" way!!call it bungee jumpin!!so man is full of doubts with opinions.and this is what i call complicated.and it's not his fault!!that idiot adam!!but what do i know!!what i'm tryin ta say is........responsibility comes down to accepting all the things that come your way.WHICH IS IMPOSSIBLE OF COURSE!!because it must include the unwanted and the unacceptable and the inapropriate and UNTIMELY and the unbearable.........etc,etc.(blame it on the system)but what the H e l l else could be meant by walikin thru the valley of the shadow of darkness!?(your (my)own)what the h e l l else reason did the christ give it all up for a lousy shameful losin painfull death on the cross.the dude walked on water!!or so they say!?PSSST!!i really like the rebuke the weather bit!!.........OOPS!!sorry for the rant...........it's just a confession!!WOW!!....looks to me like i shot my whole pent up wad on one reply!!wont be the first time!! :eek: :p :rolleyes:
    Last edited by lexx; 12-01-2005 at 06:48 AM.