+ Reply to Thread

This EXPLAINS EVERYTHING

"Why do you complain about liberals all the time?" "Why do we need a conservative high court?" "What do you mean they want to outlaw Christianity?" "Liberal agenda? What do you mean?" "What is wrong with the ACLU?"

San Diego to appeal cross decision
    Judge nullified citizens' 75% vote to maintain landmark

Posted: November 10, 2005
    5:00 p.m. Eastern

by James L. Lambert
    © 2005 WorldNetDaily.com

Mt. Soledad cross and veterans memorial above San Diego (soledadmemorial.com)
    The city of San Diego will appeal a court ruling that nullified an overwhelming vote by its citizens to save a historic cross that sits on public land.

Attorney Charles LiMandri, who represented the city in the case, told WorldNetDaily yesterday that newly elected Mayor Jerry Sanders informed him of the decision to appeal the Oct. 7 ruling by San Diego Superior Court Judge Patricia Yim Cowett.

Cowett's decision effectively overturned Proposition A, passed by 75 percent of voters in July, which called for the city to donate the cross to the federal government as the centerpiece of a veterans memorial.

But Cowett ruled such action would be an unconstitutional aid to religion.

The conflict arises from an ACLU lawsuit challenging the constitutionality of the 29-foot concrete structure, which has been the center of a war memorial on city land since 1954.

Deputy City Attorney David Karlin confirmed to WND that Sanders intends to appeal the decision. Karlin explained that the city cannot file its appeal until the court signs an entry of judgment, which must be requested by the plaintiff. When that occurs, likely some time this month, the city will then have 60 days in which to file an appeal.

LiMandri, who works with the Thomas More Law Center, a public interest group, believes the case ultimately will be decided by the U.S. Supreme Court.

He has offered his services again to San Diego pro-bono, but the city has not decided yet who will represent it in the new legal round of appeal.

The Law Center provided legal analysis that formed the basis for a federal law that declared the cross and memorial as a National War Memorial and authorized the federal government to receive a donation of the land.

A bill authorizing the federal government to take over the memorial was authored by Republican U.S. Reps. Duncan Hunter and Randy Cunningham. President Bush signed the bill into law in December.

The ballot initiative came about after the city refused to donate the cross and memorial to the federal government. A group called San Diegans for the Mount Soledad National War Memorial took just 23 days to gather 105,000 signatures.

The battle began in 1989 when Phillip Paulsen, an atheist, filed suit, and a court ordered the city to remove the cross. San Diego responded by placing the property up for sale, with the approval of 76 percent of voters. But the subsequent sale was ruled unconstitutional after Paulsen objected, arguing the sale had the effect of preserving the cross.

Paulsen argues that the cross is a violation of the First Amendment's ban on government establishment of a religion

In 1998, the city sold the property to the Mt. Soledad War Memorial Association, which again was challenged in court. The sale originally was upheld but later ruled unconstitutional by the full panel of the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals in San Francisco and remanded back to district court to work out a remedy.

During its brief period of ownership, the Memorial Association made significant improvements, including extensive landscaping and the addition of more than 3,000 plaques honoring military veterans.

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/ar...TICLE_ID=47338

Questions?

umdkook Guest

Re: This EXPLAINS EVERYTHING

ahaha you are off your rocker man....you think this article means anything???

this article about a memorial in San Diego is your explanation for your thoughts on Liberals and watever else??

thats kinda reaching man..
    Last edited by umdkook; 11-11-2005 at 07:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by umdkook
    ahaha you are off your rocker man....you think this article means anything???

this article about a memorial in San Diego is your explanation for your thoughts on Liberals and watever else??

thats kinda reaching man..
    No... it is not his "explanation". What pwrone does is post Op-Ed or news articles, usually prefaced with his opinion or a conclusion arrived at through deductive reasoning.

He seems to believe there is a "liberal conspiracy" or agenda to destroy traditional values while opposing the possibility of an opposite "conservative conspiracy" or agenda.

My advice... Take the article at face value and move on.

cheers,
    Paul

it may be ironic that lacking a true heart for god there has to be a substitute image to represent the missing truth in action.it is also ironic that those who wish for truth have taken the path of proactive force in a egotistical appoach to preserve their own JOBe status in life.make a willing sacrifice or face the BIG ONE!!just my opinion!!for that which is highly esteemed before men is an abomination to god.hey!!next time dubya gives a speech if you have a DVR(tivo)(replay)(other)........put into slow-mo live and watch the facial expressions!!very revealing!!go-go-godzilla!!for what you do unto the.least.last,lowest,undeserving,hey!!tya know that moment in failsafe(the movie)where the last bomber sends it's anti missile missiles STRATE UP into the blue to decoy the defensive missiles about to knock it down!?!dont fall for it!!UNLESS YOU CAN USE IT!!:eek: :D :rolleyes:

Quote Originally Posted by PaulM
    No... it is not his "explanation". What pwrone does is post Op-Ed or news articles, usually prefaced with his opinion or a conclusion arrived at through deductive reasoning.

He seems to believe there is a "liberal conspiracy" or agenda to destroy traditional values while opposing the possibility of an opposite "conservative conspiracy" or agenda.

My advice... Take the article at face value and move on.

cheers,
    Paul

What I do is post articles that many would not ordinarily see to alert them to the erosion of values and morality that is going on all the time. The fact that it doesn't bother you is why I just keep on postin'. If this article does not strike a chord in you, then you may well be beyond recovery. That's okay...keep it movin'...nothing to see here. But, to some, the idea of a judge overturning the wishes of 75% of voters to quash a Christian landmark might seem like one-stop-shopping for liberal activism and depravity...
    Last edited by pwrone; 11-12-2005 at 07:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pwrone
    What I do is post articles that many would not ordinarily see to alert them to the erosion of values and morality that is going on all the time. The fact that it doesn't bother you is why I just keep on postin'. If this article does not strike a chord in you, then you may well be beyond recovery. That's okay...keep it movin'...nothing to see here. But, to some, the idea of a judge overturning the wishes of 75% of voters to quash a Christian landmark might seem like one-stop-shopping for liberal activism and depravity...
    depends on one's OWN(ownership of) depravity i assume!?i always assume!!just bein freindly folk yaawl!!keep it movin on up!!cause it's not up ta me!!:eek: :p :rolleyes:

New mayor Jerry Sanders plans to file an appeal to save the cross as soon as he is able, as promised during the campaign. His opponent did not support the issue and seemed disinterested in fighting for it. This may have had an impact on voters...LOL.
    Last edited by pwrone; 11-12-2005 at 08:51 PM.

Believe what you will... You only know what I have let you know...

I realized something funny - all the conservatives here are crazy hotheads. I'm conservative on a few issues, but notice pwrone's avatar. Notice Grim's. Notice hdmarketing. Notice Rush Limbaugh. These are just angry people. Imagine what it must be like to LIVE with one. Yikes.

To be fair, the left seems to have this one angry guy. Dchristie. He seems half crazy to me.

- Ronald

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald
    I realized something funny - all the conservatives here are crazy hotheads. I'm conservative on a few issues, but notice pwrone's avatar. Notice Grim's. Notice hdmarketing. Notice Rush Limbaugh. These are just angry people. Imagine what it must be like to LIVE with one. Yikes.

To be fair, the left seems to have this one angry guy. Dchristie. He seems half crazy to me.

- Ronald
    While I'm 'quoting' to you Ronald, this is for the general audience... I'm exceptionally angry right now and politics is the least of my issues. I'll still be hanging around, but trying to be quiet... if I seem abrupt, please bear with me.

P.

Crazy hotheads? Anybody could get pissed when provoked, which liberals seem to go out of their way to do on this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by RobinInTn
    Crazy hotheads? Anybody could get pissed when provoked, which liberals seem to go out of their way to do on this forum.

:D HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! (Wiping tears from eyes.) HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! :D

Considering that it's been the Conservatives that have posted the majority of threads designed to provoke a reaction out of the liberals, what else could you rationally expect?

Lady Mod

umdkook Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RobinInTn

ahhahhaahha indeed.

check out the threads started by the so called Liberals, and then check out the ones started by the so called hothead cons.....youll see whats goin on.

its so funny how some of you really beleive that "liberals" are like such diff people that need to be stopped before they bring the demise of the US.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald

- Ronald

I do not think anyone here is angry very often. It is easy to mistake passion with anger. When I get excited about some point it is usually because something is taking place that does not reflect the will of the people...judges deciding on things that are against everything that we know to be right. Do you believe in 'right' and 'wrong'? Have you heard that "one cannot legislate morality"? That is probably true, but irrelevant. In this country our judges legislate immorality.

The breakdown of the family unit and the slide into a morally bankrupt society are two of the key goals of the left. Why should they be angry? They are winning.

umdkook Guest

The breakdown of the family unit and the slide into a morally bankrupt society are two of the key goals of the left. Why should they be angry? They are winning.
    must be a sad life you lead to really think the ugly "left" wants a breakdown of teh family unit (i guess abortion makes you feel this way??)

umdkook Guest

your statements are why Bush won the re election, by turning to Morals and Family values, which somehow Bush espouses.