+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This Guy Deserves a Medal, Not A Rap Sheet

Man Charged With Killing Alleged Attacker

By Associated Press

November 8, 2005, 2:34 PM EST

PHILADELPHIA -- A young man was charged with stabbing to death one of four teenagers who allegedly attacked him and taunted him because he is gay.

Lucas Dawson, 21, is charged with voluntary manslaughter in the Oct. 29 death.

The four teens rushed the aspiring singer near his home after he crossed a street to avoid them, said his stepfather, David Dawson.

"One of them punched him in the mouth," David Dawson told the Philadelphia Daily News. "They knocked him to the ground. They kicked him. They stomped him. They called him ******."

Lucas Dawson pulled out a small pocket knife and waved it at the teens to chase them away, David Dawson said. He then ran but was grabbed by Gerald Knight, 17, who was stabbed in the chest in a struggle, he said.

Lucas Dawson remains in jail in lieu of $30,000 bail. If convicted, he could face a maximum of 30 years in prison.

The day before the attack, Lucas Dawson had performed in front of the "American Idol" judges, his family said. He was cut after the third round.

http://www.newsday.com/news/nationwo...tion-headlines

__________________________________________________ __________

What's a lib to do? On the one hand "these muggers are criminals and therefor simply misunderstood victims of society, on the other hand, the gay guy we should be protecting used FORCE to protect himself"...(cue hand-wringing)oh..oh, my...

This guy should have a street named in his honor.
    Give him a medal and a parade and be done with it.
    Last edited by pwrone; 11-10-2005 at 12:54 AM.

Re: This Guy Deserves a Medal, Not A Rap Sheet

Quote Originally Posted by pwrone
    __________________________________________________ __________

What's a lib to do? On the one hand "these muggers are criminals and therefor simply misunderstood victims of society, on the other hand, the gay guy we should be protecting used FORCE to protect himself"...(cue hand-wringing)oh..oh, my...

This guy should have a street named in his honor.
    Give him a medal and a parade and be done with it.
    I think you need to rest your brain, it's starting to dry up. I don't know ANY liberals who would condemn that young man for defending himself, in any manner.

Get a life already.

Lady Mod

Quote Originally Posted by sojustask
    I think you need to rest your brain, it's starting to dry up. I don't know ANY liberals who would condemn that young man for defending himself, in any manner.

Get a life already.

Lady Mod
    Are you kidding? Deadly force? Isn't there always an alternative? I never thought that YOU would believe it, but many over there do. Trust me.

Then we agree. A street AND a parade!

Are you kidding? Deadly force? Isn't there always an alternative? I never thought that YOU would believe it, but many over there do. Trust me.

Then we agree. A street AND a parade!
    Pwrone, he tried to run away and was pursued. The other boy was killed in the scuffle. It's a clear case of involuntary manslaughter. He was attacked first. It simply is not using "deadly force". They only save that charge for the police.

Lady Mod

Quote Originally Posted by sojustask
    Pwrone, he tried to run away and was pursued. The other boy was killed in the scuffle. It's a clear case of involuntary manslaughter. He was attacked first. It simply is not using "deadly force". They only save that charge for the police.

Lady Mod
    Well, he wasn't detained, he was arrested. And there are plenty of libs who are all queasy over any sort of violent behavior, even in self-defense...french people, for instance. I never thought that you or CV were in that group...you two are just a eyelash away from a spree-kill!! LOL And I mean that with respect and admiration!

Hi Pwrone,

Why would you take an incident, that is clearly self-defense, and try to make it a case of, "Liberals are...?"

I think the charge of "voluntary manslaughter" is harsh, but I do not know all the facts.

What are you after?

DeeDee1965

Quote Originally Posted by DeeDee1965
    Hi Pwrone,

Why would you take an incident, that is clearly self-defense, and try to make it a case of, "Liberals are...?"

I think the charge of "voluntary manslaughter" is harsh, but I do not know all the facts.

What are you after?

DeeDee1965
    That would be "involuntary" DeeDee, the man did not intend to kill the teen who attacked him. It was not his intent to kill anyone. And that would be what the prosecution would have to prove, intent. And they can't do that in this particular case.

Namaste'

Lady Mod

This is a guy who killed someone who was attacking him...ya with me? If, however, he would have been a straight guy, or a white guy, or anyone other than a gay guy, liberals would be crying about the use of excessive force and illegal weapon carryin'. They would be explaining how the 'victims' upbringing or the neighborhood or his poverty was responsible for his crimes. Anyone but him. Then the french P.M. would call and apologize. And then he would surrender.

And it is 'voluntary manslaughter'. Maybe he stabbed him twice...we must be nice when we are stabbin', ya know.

Hi Pwrone,

Am I with you???

I have no quarrel with someone defending thmeselves. Even if it results in the death of another.

My question to you is, how do you get "liberals" do, think, feel, anything about this matter?

Have you asked any?

Have they told you that it is unfortunate that this man was not a minority, because their hands are tied?

Or is it because he is in a minority, that their hands are tied?

Like I asked before, what are you after?

DeeDee1965

Interesting case... though the reason it's up for discussion is beyond me... The "Voluntary" part of the charge stems from, based on the posted article, the individual pulled a knife... a deliberate act. The people assaulting him were, again according to the article, unarmed... therefore Mr. Dawson escalated the level of violence in the incident. Just my take on this...

Regardless, a person was killed and it will be up to the court system to determine 'self-defense' or not. Based upon what I've read on the subject of self-defense and the law... it's a tricky area. A person defending himself, his home or property can find himself in hot water real fast... for example, defense of property does not warrant the use of deadly force... property can be replaced (so much for shooting rioters for torching your car). On the other hand escalating to deadly force MAY be appropriate when a reasonable presumption can be made that one's life or that of another is in jeopardy... BUT, you will still be arrested and have to go through the court system.

Check your respective state and local laws... that's the only way to be sure.

cheers,
    Paul

this is great thread..... in the rope of life.........and you know the OLD SAYIN!!..the"DEVIL is in the DETAILS"!!POO acts as initiator of a supposed delimna!and what is the delimna!?that all depends on your position(fixed) or consideration(enquiring)and how many levels are there!?how many positions to defend!?and what are the deciding criteria(facts) for defense!?well i guess it all comes down to personal understanding(what you stand fer)(die fer?).now we see there are say an infinite number of understandings but they can be divided basically by the term good and evil.at least it would seem so.so say there are evil tending(intentioned) people and good tending people.now what is the authority of this basic division.how do we know of this basic division.do we know of it for ourselves or do we know it by instruction.take for instance the act of killing a fellow human being.do we know to do it by instruction(previous knowledge of outcome) or do we know to do it by circumstance or percieved threat to our own selves.and how do we decide in a moment of STRESS!!do we decide on principle!?on pre formed belief!?or is it a matter of fear.fear of death.for that is the only true and first fear.fear is a blinding and uncontrolled reactive force.it is the true definition of terrorism.but people themselves are both good and evil.there are degrees of course.when a person goes past the accepted norm of the idea of evil by the current popular societal image of acceptable deviance then they have crossed into NO MANS LAND. and are therefore expendable.or to put it another way,unrecoverable.and what or who is responsible for this condition of society.and how can it be changed and should it be changed by political manipulation!?is the will of the people above manipulation in this age of information!?is deliberate intervention thru short-cut hype the way to prosperity and abundance for man!?is the parable of the sheepherder who left the 99 to find the 1 a dead political horse!?or is it just a war of words and quick divisions to gain the fast road to the good life for those who play along.and what does this say about the whole ballgame!?can all be saved or is it a game of the we vrs the them or is it really is a game of the me vrs the all.or me including the all.and if me including the all then where is offense taken!?or needed.instead there is only listening and understanding.but this is only possible because of support.it's all about support!!bad news for christians i guess!!where the hell is their support!?ASK THE PRES!!he's a died in the wool forgiver!!.........RIGHT!?OOPS!!gutless wonder!?couldn't pass the "cock crowed" test!!hehe!!must be in the cards!!house a fallen cards!!goodbye to the cowards!!down the tubes ya go!! :eek: :eek: :rolleyes:

You know Pwrone... you make a great claim in your posts that 'liberals' and 'democrats' are always the ones with unreasonable arguments and that they constantly post simply to be inflammatory. But from the articles and positions you post and take on this board it appears that you, sir, are the one always trying to pick a fight.

The whole idea behind your original post is to insult people who, although liberal and with different ideas than you, are populated by many who have intelligence, and don't jump on the party line bandwagon. I have liberal views, but I also have an open mind and a brain. I don't believe most of what I read, hear or see because I realize that everyone has an agenda and it most likely isn't quite the same as mine.

I think you need a dose of tolerance and common sense bud. Just a recommendation.

mmmmmmmmmmm

why fight over an issue that we all seem to agree on???...on the issue: isn't it funny how in one state (FLA) we have a gun law stating that people can use deadly force with firearms when feeling threatened in a public setting but in another state a guy is arrested for stabbing someone when attacked by four individuals...and believe me this was a clear cut case of self defense...if after the guy had pulled the knife his attackers ran off and he chased to stab someone then it'd have been a different story...if you get attacked by four people then you must resort to deadly force (if running isn't an option)...if its one on one its a different story...but if i were attacked by four people, the first on to come close is gonna lose his eyes...and i've been before arrested for excessive force during self defense once (was attacked by 3 guys)...the prosecutor tried to get me on excessive force because i have significant trainig...but my case was thrown out because facing multiple attackers i didn't have the luxury of using any self defense skills...instead when faced by multiple attackers go straight for the "kill" and hope that the others will back off...but i sure as hell am not gonna hold back if attacked by 4 people.

Quote Originally Posted by HG_1301
    You know Pwrone... you make a great claim in your posts that 'liberals' and 'democrats' are always the ones with unreasonable arguments and that they constantly post simply to be inflammatory. But from the articles and positions you post and take on this board it appears that you, sir, are the one always trying to pick a fight.

The whole idea behind your original post is to insult people who, although liberal and with different ideas than you, are populated by many who have intelligence, and don't jump on the party line bandwagon. I have liberal views, but I also have an open mind and a brain. I don't believe most of what I read, hear or see because I realize that everyone has an agenda and it most likely isn't quite the same as mine.

I think you need a dose of tolerance and common sense bud. Just a recommendation.

Actually, I just thought it was a funny story...kinda heartwarmin'.

Heartwarming... exactly my sentiments.

LMAO.

Actually, I just thought it was a funny story...kinda heartwarmin'.
    let me get this strate...........the terminator a robot without mercy is claiming on the one hand no more mr. nice guy......yet!!in a clintinesque refubuttal of his OBVIOUS nature to SEEM to be a heartwarming kinda guy!!?!?ok, i buy it!!eek: :p :rolleyes: