+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Electoral College, Why?

As a non-American I honestly have to ask what is the advantage of the electoral college system. Or is a some holdout from the formation of the country.

Because from my point of view the electoral college seems to be more of a method for controlling the masses than to promote democracy.

Because system is designed and promotes a 2 party system and seems to more often than not leave american's with 2 poor choice that they are forced to vote for less than end up with some worse choice.

Or in many cases no choice at all. Neither of these parties actually need to listen to the people. There is no serious conservative or liberal alternative. The amount of money changing hands from political superPAC's makes it clear who they work for.

In Canada I technically have 21 parties to choose from.

However, in reality that works out to 5 real choices.

NDP
    Liberal
    Conservative
    Block Quebecois
    and the Green Party.

and these parties grow change, die and new ones take there place. Rarely does one group end up with a monopoly on anything. In fact Canadians have long held that "minority" (non majority) governments are the best.

As I said this is from an outsider looking in and by no means is any system perfect. Canada is actually looking at electoral reform so obviously it's not perfect either.

but should america be looking at some electoral reform as well to provide the people more options?

Re: Electoral College, Why?

Quote Originally Posted by Spector567 View Post
    As a non-American I honestly have to ask what is the advantage of the electoral college system. Or is a some holdout from the formation of the country.

Because from my point of view the electoral college seems to be more of a method for controlling the masses than to promote democracy.

Because system is designed and promotes a 2 party system and seems to more often than not leave american's with 2 poor choice that they are forced to vote for less than end up with some worse choice.

Or in many cases no choice at all. Neither of these parties actually need to listen to the people. There is no serious conservative or liberal alternative. The amount of money changing hands from political superPAC's makes it clear who they work for.

NDP
    Liberal
    Conservative
    Block Quebecois
    and the Green Party.

and these parties grow change, die and new ones take there place. Rarely does one group end up with a monopoly on anything. In fact Canadians have long held that "minority" (non majority) governments are the best.

As I said this is from an outsider looking in and by no means is any system perfect. Canada is actually looking at electoral reform so obviously it's not perfect either.

but should america be looking at some electoral reform as well to provide the people more options?

STATES elect our president -- not people.

Without our system, we might as well all sit at home and let FAR LEFT California choose our leaders and laws.

Ain't gonna happen.
    Lose a pound a day, every day. I personally lost 60 pounds in 60 days. My free 47 page PDF eBook explains how. CLICK HERE to read online, or download your free copy.

BTW, america ain't a democracy. It's a Constitutionally Limited Republic, with the "limits" placed on the federal government.
    Lose a pound a day, every day. I personally lost 60 pounds in 60 days. My free 47 page PDF eBook explains how. CLICK HERE to read online, or download your free copy.

Quote Originally Posted by CarlinAnnArbor View Post

Without our system, we might as well all sit at home and let FAR LEFT California choose our leaders and laws.

Ain't gonna happen.
    Agreed. If you saw the electoral college map, Hillary won NY and California, but not much else, and she still had a chance. The electoral college allows all the states to count in the election.
    Originally Posted by nomaxim
    Sorry there ''ohein56', but it appears that 'Joecool44' does not have the position that you envision on this topic.

'Joecool44' has, as a matter of routine, refuted most of your accusations
    Quote Originally Posted by Jax74 View Post
    Some people have the ability to think critically, some do not. ohein obviously doesn't.

NDP
    Liberal
    Conservative
    Block Quebecois
    and the Green Party.

but should America be looking at some electoral reform as well to provide the people more options?

It doesn't really matter what the original intent was. The framers of the constitution couldn't have imagined the population centers we have now. Bottom line, 38 states would have to ratify an amendment to the constitution and I assure you that is not going to happen.

What might happen is a "virtual" change. There are state legislatures passing laws to force the electors from their states to vote for the winner of the national popular vote. All it takes is for states adding up to 270 and it's all over. It has been enacted into law in 11 states with a total of 160 votes.

http://www.nationalpopularvote.com/news-history

What will be funny to watch.... imagine an election where a republican wins the popular vote but a liberal has > 270 electoral votes under the current system. Then imagine New York and California having to vote the republican. LOL. Pop some popcorn

Quote Originally Posted by tomInAustin View Post
    It doesn't really matter what the original intent was. The framers of the constitution couldn't have imagined the population centers we have now. Bottom line, 38 states would have to ratify an amendment to the constitution and I assure you that is not going to happen.

What might happen is a "virtual" change. There are state legislatures passing laws to force the electors from their states to vote for the winner of the national popular vote. All it takes is for states adding up to 270 and it's all over. It has been enacted into law in 11 states with a total of 160 votes.

http://www.nationalpopularvote.com/news-history

What will be funny to watch.... imagine an election where a republican wins the popular vote but a liberal has > 270 electoral votes under the current system. Then imagine New York and California having to vote the republican. LOL. Pop some popcorn

Even if they get enough states to equal the 270 vote total needed for the change, it's said this would have to go to the Supreme Court before being passed.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/poli...115666253.html

Quote Originally Posted by PeggieSue View Post
    Even if they get enough states to equal the 270 vote total needed for the change, it's said this would have to go to the Supreme Court before being passed.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/poli...115666253.html

Ah good catch.

"The Compact Clause of the Constitution states that no state shall, without the consent of Congress enter into any agreement or compact with another state, or with a foreign power. The courts have ruled in the past that if federal supremacy is threatened, then congressional consent is required for a compact to be valid."

Quote Originally Posted by CarlinAnnArbor View Post

Ain't gonna happen.
    But wouldnt that be the will of the people? Isnt that the point.

Individual states would of course set certain laws but if the majority of the people in the country want something LEFT or RIGHT. Is that not the will of the people? Is that not the entire point.

The American electorate has one of the lowest voter turn outs. Its obvious by this election and others that the people do not feel represented by their government. So is the electoral college system really working if the people dont feel represented by it?

Ignore the fact that electoral change will be hard to impossible. Ignore the current election.

Would you change the electoral process if you could and how?

But wouldnt that be the will of the people? Isnt that the point.

Individual states would of course set certain laws but if the majority of the people in the country want something LEFT or RIGHT. Is that not the will of the people? Is that not the entire point.

The American electorate has one of the lowest voter turn outs. Its obvious by this election and others that the people do not feel represented by their government. So is the electoral college system really working if the people dont feel represented by it?

Ignore the fact that electoral change will be hard to impossible. Ignore the current election.

Would you change the electoral process if you could and how?

It's not just presidential elections that have pitiful turnout, so the electoral college has nothing to do with that. If i could change it I would it online. I trust the internet with my banking, stock broker accounts, and other secrets so why not. Open it up for a week or even a month. Some even say require it by law that you must vote.

That's what a lot of people don't seem to get. If a 3rd party got even 10% or 15% of the vote that would've been revolutionary and sent a powerful message to the electoral college. But it seems trying to have a sensible conversation about politics these days is like trying to play I Wanna Be The Guy whilst drunk, which is why I normally avoid it like the plague

People are in fact people, but here's the thing. Different communities, economic spheres, and areas would be drowned without the electoral college

Yes.

Oh, but it was fine then, your guy won.

If the electoral college was so busted and terrible, there would have been an outcry then. Was there?

Yeah, from Trump.

I'm not saying it is a perfect system. I'm trying to show that it's ing insane that people are JUST NOW bitching about it

i am super left and i don't really like the electoral college, i think its outdated but it would require a constitutional referendum and is nowhere near the most important flaw in our electoral system. main passed ranked choice voting and first past the post is the place to change , which is why the media is talking about the electoral college instead

I think it can probably be shown that bitcoin's network's landscape can be more democratic than, for example, the US's political system, nonetheless I mean to suggest here that the complaints of the ignorant masses trying to over-ride core are born from a misunderstanding that core functions like a defacto electoral college

We're living in a timeline where the most corrupt politician in recent history lost the election to Donald Trump (because of the electoral college, at that). I'm not ruling anything out at this point

Definitely a blowout. Atleast according to the Electoral College