+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: California Illiteracy: The “No Voter Left Behind Act”

DeeDee, you are acting as though there is no heart in these proposals when, in fact, it is all about heart. You are using the examples of very young children in extreme situations...are you saying that you would not want action taken in cases of incestuous rape? Are you saying that you would not want action taken in cases of ANY 12-year old pregnancy? That IS rape.That is ALWAYS rape. There are exceptions , with good reason, to every situation but to think it is a good idea to NOT require notification to parents before abortion is simply giving a free pass to rapists. I do not believe that is your intention. I agree with you that it is a difficult time for a young girl--it is difficult for grown women, but there are consequences for actions throughout our lives. Aborting a child damn well better be as 'unpleasant' as informing your parents.

Quote Originally Posted by pwrone
    Aborting a child damn well better be as 'unpleasant' as informing your parents.
    Amen to that! Couldn't have said it better myself. :cool:

Quote Originally Posted by DeeDee1965
    Like I said, I read the propositions and I voted against 73. I will ask again, since you have deemed me "illiterate," and the "illiterate should not vote. Are you, going to be the one to take my voter registration card away for me?
    I never deemed you illiterate. Do you have any flourescent green paint splattered on your head?
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeDee1965
    Since you choose to call part of my reply, "a hypothetical scare tactic," take a look at my provided link.

See Link
    Quote Originally Posted by quote from deedee's link
    No on 73 Ballot Argument

Parents care most about keeping their children safe. That means always safe, even if they feel they can’t come to us and tell us everything.

Family communication must begin long before a teen faces an unplanned pregnancy. The best way to protect our daughters is to begin talking about responsible, appropriate sexual behavior from the time they are young and fostering an atmosphere that assures them they can come to us.

Even teenagers who have good relationships with their parents might be afraid to talk to them about something as sensitive as pregnancy.

And sadly, some teens live in troubled homes. The family might be having serious problems, or parents might be abusive, or a relative may even have caused the pregnancy.
    Looks completely "HYPOTHETICAL" to me. Thanks for making my point. ;)

For crying out loud Raider. Just answer DeeDee's question and stop vascilating. You know damned well what she means in her posts.

Lady Mod

Deedee voted NO, I presume, because of some notion that there are tons of teens that will be disenfranchised because they became pregnant by incest.

Quote Originally Posted by stats provided by LM on another thread
    REASONS GIVEN FOR ABORTIONS: AGI SURVEY, 2004 [22]

reason............... % of abortions,most important reason .... % of abortions

rape..........................................<0.5............................................... (1)

incest............................................ ............................................(<0.5)

mother has health problems..............4........................... ....................(12)

possible fetal health problems............3............................. ................ (13)

unready........................................25. ............................................(32)

is too immature or
    young to have child..7.......................................... ...........................(22)

woman's parents
    want her to have abortion...............<0.5........................................... (6)

has problems with relationship
    or wants to avoid single parenthood.....8.................................. ...........(48)

husband or partner
    wants her have abortion..................<0.5 .........................................(14)

has all the children she wanted
    or all children are grown....................19 ...........................................(38)

can't afford baby now.......................23...................... ......................(73)

--unmarried......................................... .........................................(42)

--student or planning to study............................................. ............(34)

--can't afford baby and child care.............................................. .......(28)

--can't afford basic life needs............................................. ..............(23)

--unemployed........................................ ........................................(22)

--can't leave job to care for baby.............................................. .......(21)

--would have to find new place to live.............................................. .(19)

--not enough support from husband/partner........................................(14 )

--husband/partner unemployed........................................ ..................(12)

--currently on welfare or public assistance........................................ ...(8)

concerned about how having baby would change her life........................(74)

--would interfere with education plans.......4 .......................................(38)

--would interfere with career plans............................................. .......(38)

--would interfere with care of
    children or dependents .................................................. ...............(32)

doesn't want others to know
    she had relations or is pregnant ............<0.5 .................................... (25)

other............................................. .......6
    According to the stats provided by LM, abortions because of incest are well below 1/2 of a percentage point. Could it be also that some of these girls say it's incest because they know that their little fib is safe and law enforcement won't be called. This ploy may even make them believe that the planned parenthood person won't look down on them or think that the teen is just using their services for birth control. I don't pretend to know the accuracy of such a statement like that, but it is a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by pwrone
    DeeDee, you are acting as though there is no heart in these proposals when, in fact, it is all about heart. You are using the examples of very young children in extreme situations...are you saying that you would not want action taken in cases of incestuous rape? Are you saying that you would not want action taken in cases of ANY 12-year old pregnancy? That IS rape.That is ALWAYS rape. There are exceptions , with good reason, to every situation but to think it is a good idea to NOT require notification to parents before abortion is simply giving a free pass to rapists. I do not believe that is your intention. I agree with you that it is a difficult time for a young girl--it is difficult for grown women, but there are consequences for actions throughout our lives. Aborting a child damn well better be as 'unpleasant' as informing your parents.
    map here: http://vote2005.ss.ca.gov/Returns/prop/mapR073.htm

If San Fran could just be lopped off, most of the trouble in Cali would go with it. If you can prove that San Fran Democrats voted twice, you could throw out the whole county's vote and 73 would have been a virtual tie. :cool:

Hi Pwrone,

I am talking about young girls whose Father, Step father, or mother's boyfriend, is the rapist. Can you not understand that? I am talking about girls whose parent are the problem. Heart is not what is called for when helping young girls deal with an unwanted pregnancy. Real practical help is what is called for. And most importantly, non judgmental, possible long-term psychological, physical help as well.

And since Raider looked at my link and still thinks I am making up hypothetical scare tactics, what can I say. :confused: Also if girls are lying about being molested or raped in order to not cause trouble, or not waste the time of Planned Parenthood, again, what can I say :confused:

DeeDee1965