+ Reply to Thread

Cnn: The News We Kept To Ourselves

File this under: "Stuff that doesn't matter" or: "Who cares?" or "Bush's Fault"
    but not under " Why We Are There"...right?
    __________________________________________________ _______________

The News We (CNN) Kept To Ourselves [must read]
    The New York Times ^ | | EASON JORDAN

ATLANTA — Over the last dozen years I made 13 trips to Baghdad to lobby the government to keep CNN's Baghdad bureau open and to arrange interviews with Iraqi leaders. Each time I visited, I became more distressed by what I saw and heard — awful things that could not be reported because doing so would have jeopardized the lives of Iraqis, particularly those on our Baghdad staff.

For example, in the mid-1990's one of our Iraqi cameramen was abducted. For weeks he was beaten and subjected to electroshock torture in the basement of a secret police headquarters because he refused to confirm the government's ludicrous suspicion that I was the Central Intelligence Agency's Iraq station chief. CNN had been in Baghdad long enough to know that telling the world about the torture of one of its employees would almost certainly have gotten him killed and put his family and co-workers at grave risk.

Working for a foreign news organization provided Iraqi citizens no protection. The secret police terrorized Iraqis working for international press services who were courageous enough to try to provide accurate reporting. Some vanished, never to be heard from again. Others disappeared and then surfaced later with whispered tales of being hauled off and tortured in unimaginable ways. Obviously, other news organizations were in the same bind we were when it came to reporting on their own workers.

We also had to worry that our reporting might endanger Iraqis not on our payroll. I knew that CNN could not report that Saddam Hussein's eldest son, Uday, told me in 1995 that he intended to assassinate two of his brothers-in-law who had defected and also the man giving them asylum, King Hussein of Jordan. If we had gone with the story, I was sure he would have responded by killing the Iraqi translator who was the only other participant in the meeting. After all, secret police thugs brutalized even senior officials of the Information Ministry, just to keep them in line (one such official has long been missing all his fingernails).

Still, I felt I had a moral obligation to warn Jordan's monarch, and I did so the next day. King Hussein dismissed the threat as a madman's rant. A few months later Uday lured the brothers-in-law back to Baghdad; they were soon killed.

I came to know several Iraqi officials well enough that they confided in me that Saddam Hussein was a maniac who had to be removed. One Foreign Ministry officer told me of a colleague who, finding out his brother had been executed by the regime, was forced, as a test of loyalty, to write a letter of congratulations on the act to Saddam Hussein. An aide to Uday once told me why he had no front teeth: henchmen had ripped them out with pliers and told him never to wear dentures, so he would always remember the price to be paid for upsetting his boss. Again, we could not broadcast anything these men said to us.

Last December, when I told Information Minister Muhammad Said al-Sahhaf that we intended to send reporters to Kurdish-controlled northern Iraq, he warned me they would "suffer the severest possible consequences." CNN went ahead, and in March, Kurdish officials presented us with evidence that they had thwarted an armed attack on our quarters in Erbil. This included videotaped confessions of two men identifying themselves as Iraqi intelligence agents who said their bosses in Baghdad told them the hotel actually housed C.I.A. and Israeli agents. The Kurds offered to let us interview the suspects on camera, but we refused, for fear of endangering our staff in Baghdad.

Then there were the events that were not unreported but that nonetheless still haunt me. A 31-year-old Kuwaiti woman, Asrar Qabandi, was captured by Iraqi secret police occupying her country in 1990 for "crimes," one of which included speaking with CNN on the phone. They beat her daily for two months, forcing her father to watch. In January 1991, on the eve of the American-led offensive, they smashed her skull and tore her body apart limb by limb. A plastic bag containing her body parts was left on the doorstep of her family's home.

I felt awful having these stories bottled up inside me. Now that Saddam Hussein's regime is gone, I suspect we will hear many, many more gut-wrenching tales from Iraqis about the decades of torment. At last, these stories can be told freely.

Eason Jordan is chief news executive at CNN.

http://select.nytimes.com/gst/abstra...AD0894DB404482
    __________________________________________________ ___________

I forget...why are we over there?

Re: Cnn: The News We Kept To Ourselves

Hi Pwrone,

This editorial, written 2 years ago, about stories known to most of the world, is misleading. This editorial does not enumerate the reasons the US invaded Iraq on March 20, 2003. Those reasons have debated, changed, rethought and reformed for the last 2 years.

I am not saying we should not talk about the crimes against humanity done by Saddam Hussein and his regime. What I am saying is, trying to use this editorial to justify the invasion of Iraq is, intellectually dishonest, and inaccurate.

DeeDee1965

This article, published a couple of years ago to NO fanfare from the media(I wonder why), is a watershed moment in journalistic history that very few are aware of. The only reason it was published at all is because of the power this guy wielded. This could only be told after the war began and is one of the only articles ever made available to the general public detailing some of the atrocities of saddam--which is something that we NEED to hear more of, obviously.

As for jordon, he went on to re-curry favor with his ilk by lying about troop activities to the extent that he was finally forced to retire. His claims that we "targeted journalists" was proven to be yet another leftist lie about our heroes, and inspired this al-jazeera cartoon, which inspired untold numbers of terrorists to murder untold numbers of Americans:

Hi Pwrone,

First. this guy is OK because he, writes an editorial "telling the truth about the crimes of Saddam Hussein."

Then he is a 'lying liberal,' when his story branches out to now target the US Military, and their possible crimes of targeting journalists.

Whatever. :rolleyes:

Like I said in my first reply, the world, and the American people were aware of the crimes of Saddam.

The "reason" we invaded Iraq, was the "link" between Saddam Hussein, and Al-Quieda. The crimes of Saddam Hussein came later, much later.

DeeDee1965

The "reason" we invaded Iraq, was the "link" between Saddam Hussein, and Al-Quieda. The crimes of Saddam Hussein came later, much later.
    SAY WHAT?

Try again... The reason we invaded was because Saddam was an enemy in the war on terror. He supported terrorism, harbored terrorists and most importantly, he never accounted for the WMD's he admitted to having back in 1991. That is why Bush went to the U.N. and tried to see if a peaceful solution could be achieved. Then was born resolution 1441. A resolution demanding that Saddam comply with what he had agreed to, as part of his surrender agreement after the first gulf war. The U.N. security council approved that resolution by a 11-0 vote. When Saddam failed to account for his wmd's and broke the 17th resolution handed him since his surrender, he knew the consequences of doing so.

That is why we went into Iraq.

Quote Originally Posted by Grim17
    SAY WHAT?

Try again... The reason we invaded was because Saddam was an enemy in the war on terror. He supported terrorism, harbored terrorists and most importantly, he never accounted for the WMD's he admitted to having back in 1991. That is why Bush went to the U.N. and tried to see if a peaceful solution could be achieved. Then was born resolution 1441. A resolution demanding that Saddam comply with what he had agreed to, as part of his surrender agreement after the first gulf war. The U.N. security council approved that resolution by a 11-0 vote. When Saddam failed to account for his wmd's and broke the 17th resolution handed him since his surrender, he knew the consequences of doing so.

first..who is WE!!and second,you know what your problem is........you know what your problem is.........you know what your problem is........3 strikes and yourrrrrrrrrrr out!!
    1.you didn't go!!
    2.you dont THINK FOR YOURSELF!or did you.......you didn't go!!my hero!!
    the question is..WHY!?!and the answer is ........you never had too!!and of course,like all humans,you dont WANT TO!you cant see past the end of your nose!!it's RED WHITE AND BROWN!!texas cowpie brown!!but just so's ya dont feel picked on i'll help ya out here.bush used the UN as a tool to set saddam up for a fall.not that he planned the whole thing out himself.but just call it opportunity knocking.ya know........when ya go to give the homeless guy 5 bucks and you see he's wearin a rolex he found.and you say,give ya an extra 5 spot for it!have a nice day captain america. :p :p :rolleyes:
    Last edited by lexx; 11-10-2005 at 06:53 AM.

umdkook Guest

SAY WHAT?

the only CREDIBLE reason the US had to go into Iraq was for continuous violations of resolution 1441.

it had NOTHING to do with the war on terror or Al queda or harboring terrorists or actually ANYTHING else. the rest was spewed to us by Bush to support the decision.

Im not arguing either way, but to lie and say terrorism was a REAL reason to go into Iraq is fackin lies.

Horror stories from Iraq were actually quite ABUNDANT before and after the invasion, so i dont know why you say it simportant to hear this guy tell them, weve heard many.

while things like terrorism and tthese torture stories are horrible, they are not reasons for one sovereign nation to invade another.

it had NOTHING to do with the war on terror
    Sure it did. The president on September 18, 2001 declared that we were going to now fight a global war on terrorism. He then defined who the enemy was in this war. He said:

On September 11, 2001, terrorists committed treacherous and horrific acts of violence against innocent Americans and individuals from other countries. Civilized nations and people around the world have expressed outrage at, and have unequivocally condemned, these attacks. Those who plan, authorize, commit, or aid terrorist attacks against the United States and its interests -- including those who harbor terrorists -- threaten the national security of the United States. It is, therefore, necessary and appropriate that the United States exercise its rights to defend itself and protect United States citizens both at home and abroad.

The president has never wavered from that definition, and nobody from either side has objected to that definition of what the enemy is. So you see, Saddam was indeed an enemy in the war on terrorism, and at the time, was deemed by our intelligence community to be the greatest threat to our national security.

Sure it did. The president on September 18, 2001 declared that we were going to now fight a global war on terrorism. He then defined who the enemy was in this war. He said:

On September 11, 2001, terrorists committed treacherous and horrific acts of violence against innocent Americans and individuals from other countries. Civilized nations and people around the world have expressed outrage at, and have unequivocally condemned, these attacks. Those who plan, authorize, commit, or aid terrorist attacks against the United States and its interests -- including those who harbor terrorists -- threaten the national security of the United States. It is, therefore, necessary and appropriate that the United States exercise its rights to defend itself and protect United States citizens both at home and abroad.

The president has never wavered from that definition, and nobody from either side has objected to that definition of what the enemy is. So you see, Saddam was indeed an enemy in the war on terrorism, and at the time, was deemed by our intelligence community to be the greatest threat to our national security.

the president has never wavered!!?his daughters have never wavered!?!his wife has never wavered!?!bwahaahaaahaaaahahaaaa!!YOU MUST BE A LOSER FRIGGIN IDIOT OF POT SMOKIN PROPORTIONS!!!(wishful thinkin)your cancer has made you a lunatic of fairyland misguided!!on the cancer it's ok!!but to tranfer it to everything like a better world and he's my hero and blah blah balh may be necessary for your own personal situation but to inflict your thinking on the rest of the world is way over the top personal reasons!!we all have them ya know!! :eek: :p :rolleyes:

while i may agree with your definition of those who oppose the free and wonderful life you envision for ALL!!i said ALL!! i have to take NITPICK at your pathetic shortcut approach (NOTHING NEW HERE)!!mr. positive eliminator thinker as if it was your own own child gone bad who do i turn to i'm a loser of a follower of the current Natzi approach never learned anything from history got a bad personal rap gonna go with my best shot at help(survival) do or die dont leave me to the dogs you afraid of dogs wanna be hero hangin on a promise never read the god book cant get a witness but instead play others cards never faced the music aint gonna start now vegas dreamin grabbin for the good life or die for the political life of the "lookin" winners have a nice day crowd!!life is war!!watch the godfather and cringe!!go to restaurants often!?you make your bed............ :eek: :eek: :rolleyes: