+ Reply to Thread

Peter Popoff scam? or not

In the 1980s, Televangelist Peter Popoff would "accurately" announce home addresses and specific illnesses of audience members during his "healing sermons", a feat that he implied was due to divine revelation and "God-given ability". In 1986, the Committee for Skeptical Inquiry charged that Popoff was using electronic transmissions to receive his information; Popoff denied it, insisting that the messages were divinely revealed

Popoff's methods were definitively exposed in 1986 by James Randi and his associate Steve Shaw, with technical assistance from the crime scene analyst and electronics expert Alexander Jason.[2] With computerized radio scanners, Jason was able to demonstrate that Popoff's wife, Elizabeth, was using a wireless radio transmitter to broadcast information that she and her aides had culled from prayer request cards filled out by audience members. Popoff received the transmissions via an in-ear receiver and repeated the information to astonished audience members. Jason produced video segments interspersing the intercepted radio transmissions with Popoff's "miraculous" pronouncements

Cited from Wikipedia. Theirs also a documentary "An Honest Liar" that included this, as well as other scams. Super interesting!!!

Re: Peter Popoff scam? or not

See;

"God's payn' down debts!" at:
    http://www.scam.com/showthread.php?1...yn-down-debts!

"Peter Popoff Ministries." at:
    http://www.scam.com/showthread.php?1...off-Ministries
    Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. -C. Darwin

Re: Peter Popoff scam? or not

it is unfortunate that there are scammers out there. Now I am told that www.paladin-press.ocm a website of books with dubious intent like identity changes now has a book on how to become a televangelist complete with how to make money. when you hear some like Joel Osteen of Houston have a net worth of over $50 million I guess for some it is all the rage. Pity religion used to be simple in the 1940's then with the advent of guys like Billy Graham in 1949 the rise of the televangelists and mega dollar types took off. I think the late L. Ron Hubbard of Scientology remarked that he would have to start a religion to succeed which is what he did. to me in many respects 'church" is really a "poor man's' country club" it is not really for worship it is place for a 'show" which is what the masses want--they want to be entertained and sometimes be the 'star" if real persecution returned like the 1st century Roman times then about 97% of the weekly population attending church on Sunday would leave church and not attend its meetings. it is a sad commentary on modern 21 st century life. it is predicted that should mankind live until the next century, i.e the year 2100 and beyond then mankind will give up all forms of religion it will becomes like alchemy was in the Middle ages. eventually people gave it up. thanks for listening