+ Reply to Thread

No Pardon for Libby

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory?id=1293149

Democrats Don't Want Libby to Be Pardoned
    Senate's Top Democrats Challenge President Bush to Rule Out a Pardon for Cheney Aide Libby

By DAVID ESPO AP Special Correspondent
    The Associated Press

WASHINGTON Nov 8, 2005 — The Senate's top Democrats challenged President Bush on Tuesday to rule out a pardon for I. Lewis Libby, a former top White House aide who faces trial on charges of obstruction of justice and perjury in the CIA leak case.

"We also urge you to state publicly whether anyone in the White House including White House counsel Harriet Miers or Vice President Cheney has already discussed the possibility of a pardon with Mr. Libby," added the letter, signed by Democratic Leader Harry Reid of Nevada and three other members of the leadership.

White House spokesman Scott McClellan declined to rule out a pardon when asked about the issue by reporters before Democrats sent their letter. "I'm not going to discuss an ongoing legal proceeding. And I'm not going to speculate about any matters relating to it," he said.

At a news conference, Reid launched an extraordinary attack on Cheney, whom he said had been involved in the "manipulation of intelligence to sell the war in Iraq" as well as "leaking classified information to discredit White House critics."

He challenged the president in personal terms, urging him to "avoid falling in the footsteps of his father who pardoned six men, some were convicted, some were indicted in the Iran-Contra scandal."

Shortly before leaving office, President George H.W. Bush pardoned former Defense Secretary Caspar W. Weinberger and five other former government officials who had served in the Reagan administration. The five were involved in the Iran-Contra affair, in which arms were secretly sold to Iran to win the freedom of American hostages, then the money was funneled to anti-communist guerillas in Nicaragua despite a congressional ban on military aid.

"Swift public action on your part will make clear that you take seriously perjury and obstruction of justice at the highest levels of our government," the letter said.

On a day that top Republicans sought an investigation into the leak of the existence of secret CIA prisons in Eastern Europe and elsewhere, Reid swiftly turned the question to a related issue Bush's denial that the United States tortures prisoners held in the war on terror.

"I know it was embarrassing for the president to be in South America and have to respond to questions about American torturing prisoners. And he denied it and I hope that it's accurate," he said.

Asked whether he believed Bush's denial, Reid sidestepped. "I would hope that we haven't been involved in torture," he said.

The letter to Bush marked the second time in as many weeks that the Democratic leadership has tried to raise the discomfort level for Republicans in the White House and Congress. Last Tuesday, Reid surprised Republicans by putting the Senate into a rare closed session to dramatize Democratic claims that the GOP has failed to investigate allegations that Bush used faulty intelligence in the run-up to the invasion of Iraq.

In addition to Reid, the letter was signed by Sens. Dick Durbin of Illinois, Chuck Schumer of New York and Debbie Stabenow of Michigan.

Re: No Pardon for Libby

WHAT???? The BALLS!!!! Find out about marc rich and get back to me...WTF!

Quote Originally Posted by pwrone
    WHAT???? The BALLS!!!! Find out about marc rich and get back to me...WTF!
    which reminds me...........WTF!!ya live in the golden state.ya voted fer the govenator.....and like some pathetic groupy ya come over here as the terminator!THE LOSER AND HIS 50 HUMINATORS THAT= DRINK ZILLIONS OF GALLONS OF GAZOLINE and you think he is the SAVIOR of COLLYFORNYA!?that about right!!?BWAHAAAAHAAHAHHAAAA!you are mr. stupidman with a capitol P,AS IN PooPoo!!but you already knew that!!:eek: :eek: :rolleyes:

umdkook Guest

lexx why are your posts always filled with tso many capitol letters and weierd qoutations and exclamation marks???