+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Is Children with Hairloss ... Legit or Scam?

Here's what I found from the Oregon Attorney General's office disclosing a list of the 20 worst charities last year:

Children with Hair Loss
    South Rockwood, Michigan
    $1,128,670 total money
    13.68 percent actually went to cause
    Purpose: to support children who have
    medically-related hair loss.

http://portlandobserver.com/?p=394

There's an interesting note in there about the BBB and its guidelines of not sending more than 35% to management and administrative expenses

I failed to mention, I emailed the charity several weeks ago and never received a response.

Just recieved a call asking for donations to Children with Hairloss. Asked how much goes to charity and was told by supervisor 20%. Told the supervisor that was shameful. It's easy to farm out the fund raising, but my dollars that I'm willing to donate come hard. I want more for my giving. I will not donate to this group. Remember to ask the caller what percentage goes to the charity. By law they must tell you, if need be ask for a supervisor.

I just want to say I hope that children with hair loss are reading these threads. I have recently been dealing with them and am very frustrated. Yes they did get my child a wig which I believe is an adult size wig (poor fit). Not that I am a wig expert but they are supposed to be custom fitted. But i feel like they just pulled this out of a closet and threw on my child This is the first time that we have had to deal with getting a wig. So let's move let me just say that I have tried to email them a couple of times with no reply. Calling them and getting an answer is like rolling the dice. You might get someone to answer the phone but most of the time you will get an answer machine. Now we have left messages probably 6-7 over 4 months. Not that many, and we did not recieve one single call back. Now I can understand that you can be busy, but to never return one call. Really. When we have been there the people are pleasant to us.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich2010 View Post
    Just recieved a call asking for donations to Children with Hairloss. Asked how much goes to charity and was told by supervisor 20%. Told the supervisor that was shameful. It's easy to farm out the fund raising, but my dollars that I'm willing to donate come hard. I want more for my giving. I will not donate to this group. Remember to ask the caller what percentage goes to the charity. By law they must tell you, if need be ask for a supervisor.
    Many Small charities don't have the capacity for employees to fundraise. They usually reach out to a professional telemarketing firm such as Champion Diversified Industries in Bay City, MI. The telemarketing companies don't do this for free and take the majority of the profit, how do I know this? I used to work for CDI.... If you want to donate money to a charity, call the charity directly and get their address, never give it to a telemarketer. The telemarketers should be ashamed because I have seen most charities only recieve 10-15% of the profits! But, don't punish the organization for the telemarketers greed!

BTW... This is a legit organization... My daugther is 17 and just lost all the hair on her body due to Alopecia and we are working with this organization to provide a wig piece and there is no cost to me! Don't believe me? Send me an email and I will send you her picture with her bald head! I am EXTREMELY grateful for this charity, there is no way I could afford this without the charity of these people.

Quote Originally Posted by monica49 View Post
    is that a joke? How many charities seek money for desperate people and this is CHILDREN WITH HAIRLOSS? Hmmm sounds like a mob scam to launder money doesn't it?
    Agreed with the reply but I still would like to add my 2 cents.

CHILDREN WITH HAIRLOSS - LOL

I agree, when i was 20 i got a job calling for donations for the american association of state troopers. It was the biggest scam ive seen besides the clinton foundation. We would call people in their homes and talk them into donating to the troopers and just like the clintons only 11% actually went to the foundation the rest was paid in commissions mostly to upper management. I quit when i got my first check and it was less than minimum wage even though out of the 10 people there in the office i was ranked in the top 3. Meanwhile the manager of the division was driving a lincoln navigator and had just got back from a company paid vacation to somewhere tropic.