+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Grant Services Incorporated (GSI)

Well, isn't this fun. I got a call on my cell phone from some woman with a thick accent stating I'd been approved for a $6k grant and (basically) to get it I had to give them $298 processing fee. So I checked on the web and found a bunch of information on another site about this.

You can go to google and search: GSI, grants and you'll get the results you're looking for.

So in any case I was lucky to have the chance to get this online while the lady was on the phone though as soon as they asked when they could take the $298 out I told them I didn't have that kind of money. I'm going to find more but here's some of the things I've already found. (they seem to be going under a few names)

GSI - Grant Services Inc
    866-999-1896

Advantage America.
    866-503-7345.

Ms Charlene Joseph or AMERICAN ON LINE (this was apparently a slip up on caller id)
    800 657 9307

(courtesy of http://badbusinessbureau.com/reports/ripoff159778.htm)

The call on my phone came in as 00-1819 and I don't expect to get much more out of that provider on where it came from.

The good news:
    I happen to work for a phone company and know a way to hinder them.

I'll be posting the address of the responsible organization for those 800 numbers as soon as I have them. Once we know who owns those 800 numbers we can write to inform them that the company to which they are providing those numbers is using them for fraudulent purposes.

I also plan to see if the local authorities and perhaps the FBI is interested in doing anything (not sure if they're breaking any federal laws or not).

If this is a repost, or in the wrong place speak up, I tried searching a little

Re: Grant Services Incorporated (GSI)

They tried getting me, but I didn't do the follow up research. I just stymied them with asking why they couldn't take their fee out of the grant, or at least wait until I received the grant money for me to send them the money. I finally had to say "I don't think so" when they kept pushing for my bank account (but they weren't going to pull the money for two weeks :rolleyes: ). I finally hung up on them, then avoided the phone calls for a few days as they tried again.

Here's the resporgs for the owners of those 800 numbers.

800-657-9307 [LGT01 (QWEST/LCI INT'L)]
    8008602255 to contact quest for their address.

866-503-7345 [ALN01 (GLOBAL CROSSING)]
    http://www.globalcrossing.com/xml/gl..._locations.xml
    they have lots of contact information, I'd suggest Canada or New York

866-999-1896 [CNM01 (BELL CANADA)]
    you can pick, but both might be good.
    BCE Investor Relations
    1000, de La Gauchetière W
    Suite 3700
    Montréal (Québec)
    H3B 4Y7
    Tel.: 1 800 339-6353
    Fax: (514) 786-3970
    Email: [email protected]

media relations
    Mohammed Nakhooda
    1 888 482-0809
    [email protected]
    I'll be contacting the local authorities within the hour to provide as much of this information as I can.

They got my husband last night...thought it sounded odd looked them up this morning and this is the only thing I found. He got a number and address from them, but I would guess that they are crap. I need advice on to how to get out of this. I stopped payment on the check # he gave them and I will change out my bank account info on Monday and open a new account. Anything else that I need to do??

Thanks for any help

~Carmen

Hi,
    I really need your help in stopping GSI, as they just scammed me tonight! I see the information you have posted and I can't figure out what number I need to use when contacting Qwest,Police, and other Authorties.....Can you please help me understand all the wonderful information you provided.....You did an Awesome Job with your Investigation with GSI.....Your feedback will be so helpful! My contact Email is [email protected]. Thank You So much! Sammy Jo Spears

They got me yesterday. I need to know how to stop them from pulling out the fee. They said if the money won't be available I should contact them atleast 72 hours before the scheduled debit. I had been receiving calls from them atleast 4 times daily for about a week. Why are they allowed to continue using the name of the federal government to scam innocent people? I was told they were a part of the Dept. of Usery and Loans. I tried to find them in a Yahoo search and then a federal agencies search, and found there is no such department. Please, if anyone can give me the information on how to stop them, contact me at [email protected]. :confused: I cannot afford to have this scam cost me 298.00.

Kris

I actually fell for this GSI scam last week and looked them up online today. I called my bank and they gave me 2 options, either I can stop the payment for the amount specified (298) or I can close out the account and reopen a new one. They suggest to close out the account since the scammers got my account number and routing number and can go ahead and take money out if they choose. This is a very hard lesson to learn, thank God I looked them up and found out it was a scam. I guess when you hear "free money" some people lose their ability to think and evaluate situations. This was something stupid on my part, but I hope others do not follow in my path and fall for this scam.

I to was ripped off. I have notified my back and am reporting the fraud. I reported them to the NATIONAL fraud also. If anyone does figure out how i can get my money back please let me know! that was for ym bills this month :( thank you, [email protected]

OK all I almost got taken in by GSI, but remembered the old adage that my mother taught me, "If it sounds to good to be true then it is." Anyway I told them that I would do some research on their company and besides here I went to the BBB website and here is what I found . . .

Better Business Bureau, Inc.
    741 Delaware Avenue
    Suite 100
    Buffalo, NY 14209
    (716) 881-5222

GRANT SERVICES INCORPORATED
    PO Box 129
    Champlain, NY 12919
    View Location Map

Local Phone Number: (250) 271-0131
    Membership Status: This company is not a member.
    TOB Classification: Telephone Solicitation Companies

The information in this report has either been provided by the company, or has been compiled by the Bureau from other sources.

Customer Experience

Our file contains a pattern of complaints from consumers who report that the company advised them they would receive a grant for $6000 if they paid an advance fee of $298. After the fee was paid the consumers did not receive any money and have been unable to obtain a refund. Mail sent to the company at the PO Box 129, Champlain, NY address, has been returned as undeliverable. The Bureau does not have a valid address for Grant Services Incorporated.

When evaluating complaint information, please consider the company's size and volume of business. The number of complaints filed against the company may not be as important as the type of complaints and how the company handled them.

Closed Complaints
    Number of complaints processed by the BBB since the firm's BBB file was opened in August of 2005: 24
    Number of complaints processed by the BBB in last 12 months: 24

Complaints Concerned
    Sales Issues: 23
    Outcome of all complaints -
    Company did not respond: 1; Unpursuable: 22

Credit or Billing Issues: 1
    Outcome of the complaint -
    Unpursuable: 1

Additional Telephone Numbers

(866) 999-1896.

Additional Addresses

33-A Providence Hill, Christchurch, Barbad, .

Educational/General Comments

The following is general information and not intended as a report on any specific company:

You've probably seen the ads:

Free Money! Never Repay Cash Grants for Personal Needs, Medical Bills, Education, Business, Debt Consolidation and more. These ads claim that anyone can get an interest free cash grant.

Often consumers are required to pay application fees with the promise that their financial needs and requirements will be matched with the most suitable private foundations or government programs. Or, they may promise to provide a list of available grants.

Generally, obtaining a grant is a complicated process, requiring documentation and research.

The Better Business Bureau offers the following advice:

* Watch out for phrases like free grant money. Grants do not have to be repaid; thus there is no need to use the word free.

* Organizations do not usually give out grants for personal debt consolidation, or to pay for other personal needs. Grants are usually given only to serve a social good, such as bringing jobs to an area, training under-employed youth, preserving a bit of history, etc.

* Always remember to check out any company you plan to do business with by contacting the Better Business Bureau (BBB). Also check with a regional or state economic development office to see if they know of grant programs for which you might qualify.

* Visit your public library. Ask a librarian to help you
    find reference books describing foundations and the criteria they use in awarding grants.

* Be wary if you are asked to provide money up-front to an unknown company before the company will provide the services promised.

* If you are having financial problems, there are local
    non-profit credit counseling services who may be able to assist you with your problem at no charge.

The information in this report has either been provided by the company, or has been compiled by the Bureau from other sources.

Report as of: 12/1/2005

Copyright: 2005 Better Business Bureau, Inc.

As a matter of policy, the Better Business Bureau does not endorse any product, service, or company. BBB reports generally cover a three-year reporting period, and are provided solely to assist you in exercising your own best judgment. BBB reports may not be reproduced for sales or promotional purposes. Information contained in this report is believed reliable but not guaranteed as to accuracy. Reports are subject to change at any time.

They tried to get me 2 weeks ago on my pay day. A woman called my cell and said that I qualified for a Government Grant, but they were not federally funded so I had to pay the $298. I told them I didn't have that type of money to spare, she agreed to give me an extension for the 2nd of Dec. Meanwhile I have been doing my research and found this site. I don't remember giving them my info but I am going to close my account tomorrow.
    Thanks!!

Yes, they have succeeded I did give them my account info and they got me. Good news I have to contact my bank and submit an application for an affidafit of fraud. Also there is a customer service number that works. The Number is 1(866)-999-1896. Bad news is that they record you on the phone while you say yes to all the questions that are asked, and nothing before or after. These guy carefully have taken their time to pull this one off.

hello
    i have gotten these calls as well and i gave the account info but now i must wait 4 to 6 months before i get the so-called 12,500 from the gov.what a crock anyhow an update on this so-called Ms Charlene Joseph or AMERICAN ON LINE (this was apparently a slip up on caller id)
    800 657 9307
    well its not aol and i have turned them in but here is a billing address i got from them..

aol inc billing
    p.o box 17200
    jacksonville fl 32245-7200

very interesting huh

here is something i have found...

Internet Alert: Advantage America Advance Fee Scam
    December 12, 2005

Advantage America representatives contact consumers by telephone (both landline and cellular), claiming the individual is qualified to receive a government sponsored grant for a one-time fee of $49.95. The incoming phone number is often programmed to appear local on caller identification systems. After obtaining bank account and social security numbers, the fee is withdrawn, but promised grant moneys are never deposited into the individual’s account. This appears to be another offshore advance fee scam.

The website, http://advantageamericabenefits.com, lists an address in Winter Park, Florida. According to the Better Business Bureau, the address is an empty suite, and all mail is forwarded to a West Indies location on the island of Saint Lucia. The website also contains information regarding discounted medical services.

The Better Business Bureau has received 199 complaints against Advantage America to date. The BBB’s website reports that the North Dakota Attorney General’s Office has issued a Cease & Desist Order against Firstnationalgrant.com, another name used by Advantage America. The Cease & Desist Order lists the following, additional AKAs for Advantage America: First National Benefits, First Government Grants, First National Health Care, Titan Financial, First National Government Grants, AIG Limited, Premier Health Benefits, First National Health Care Limited, and First National Benefits.

Victims in Washington State should report their experiences to the Office of the Attorney General at www.atg.wa.gov/consumer/complain.shtml, and the Federal Trade Commission at www.ftc.gov.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

=fusions23

aol inc billing
    p.o box 17200
    jacksonville fl 32245-7200

very interesting huh
    There's that state again!
    Last edited by scambuster; 12-22-2005 at 05:12 AM.

They got me too. They also took out money for this concierge service. I contacted the better business bureau and I was also able, through a third member party, to talk to someone at grant services. The customer service rep said: "The complaints on the internet have nothing to do with me. He also said that they would only give us paper work to recieve the grant, not the actual money. I told him that he was false advertising and that I would call the better business bureau and he hung up on me. Luckily, I had a young woman by the name of Sheila who works at a payment center that collects the money from grant services. She was my witness. I think if we stick together on this, we can get them.

Im not sure if it is the same company, but the same people keep calling asking for my husband and hang up when hes not here. my caller i.d. says canada call--250-271-0131, which i searched for and found this forum, where it mentions this scam crap. so i called the phone company to get the calls to stop, and they gave me the Canadian Marketing Association phone number to get on their Do-Not-Contact List. Their number is 416-391-2362, and their web site is www.the-cma.org. I registered for the list, and hope they stop calling. I hope nobody falls for this scam. what a bunch of crap. Hope any of this info helps someone else.