+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Why Did We Go Into Iraq?

Here are some comments made by our leaders before we went into Iraq:

The President said:

"If he refuses or continues to evade his obligations through more tactics of delay and deception, he and he alone will be to blame for the consequences. … Now, let’s imagine the future. What if he fails to comply, and we fail to act, or we take some ambiguous third route which gives him yet more opportunities to develop this program of weapons of mass destruction…? Well, he will conclude that the international community has lost its will. He will then conclude that he can go right on and do more to rebuild an arsenal of devastating destruction. And some day, some way, I guarantee you, he’ll use the arsenal. And I think every one of you who’s really worked on this for any length of time believes that, too."

The Vice-President said:

"If you allow someone like Saddam Hussein to get nuclear weapons, ballistic missiles, chemical weapons, biological weapons, how many people is he going to kill with such weapons? He’s already demonstrated a willingness to use these weapons. He poison-gassed his own people. He used poison gas and other weapons of mass destruction against his neighbors. This man has no compunction about killing lots and lots of people. So this is a way to save lives and to save the stability and peace of a region of the world that is important to the peace and security of the entire world."

These statements echo those of many of our leaders AND many of the leaders of other nations at the time.

So, why did we go into Iraq? And who knows the punchline?

tommywho70x Guest

Re: Why Did We Go Into Iraq?

So we could all have Deja Vu GNU PHPbb vBulleting overload attacks from your red und ant C here now f00sball gamez?

Quote Originally Posted by pwrone
    Here are some comments made by our leaders before we went into Iraq:

The President said:

"If he refuses or continues to evade his obligations through more tactics of delay and deception, he and he alone will be to blame for the consequences. … Now, let’s imagine the future. What if he fails to comply, and we fail to act, or we take some ambiguous third route which gives him yet more opportunities to develop this program of weapons of mass destruction…? Well, he will conclude that the international community has lost its will. He will then conclude that he can go right on and do more to rebuild an arsenal of devastating destruction. And some day, some way, I guarantee you, he’ll use the arsenal. And I think every one of you who’s really worked on this for any length of time believes that, too."

The Vice-President said:

"If you allow someone like Saddam Hussein to get nuclear weapons, ballistic missiles, chemical weapons, biological weapons, how many people is he going to kill with such weapons? He’s already demonstrated a willingness to use these weapons. He poison-gassed his own people. He used poison gas and other weapons of mass destruction against his neighbors. This man has no compunction about killing lots and lots of people. So this is a way to save lives and to save the stability and peace of a region of the world that is important to the peace and security of the entire world."

These statements echo those of many of our leaders AND many of the leaders of other nations at the time.

So, why did we go into Iraq? And who knows the punchline?
    Why did we go into Iraq? Because those individuals who formed the Project for the New American Century and who have been working for regime change in Iraq for the past decade finally acquired the power to do it. That's why we changed 200 years of military policy and lauched a pre-emptive attack against a country who did not attack us.

January 26, 1998

The Honorable William J. Clinton
    President of the United States
    Washington, DC

Dear Mr. President:

We are writing you because we are convinced that current American policy toward Iraq is not succeeding, and that we may soon face a threat in the Middle East more serious than any we have known since the end of the Cold War. In your upcoming State of the Union Address, you have an opportunity to chart a clear and determined course for meeting this threat. We urge you to seize that opportunity, and to enunciate a new strategy that would secure the interests of the U.S. and our friends and allies around the world. That strategy should aim, above all, at the removal of Saddam Hussein’s regime from power. We stand ready to offer our full support in this difficult but necessary endeavor.

The policy of “containment” of Saddam Hussein has been steadily eroding over the past several months. As recent events have demonstrated, we can no longer depend on our partners in the Gulf War coalition to continue to uphold the sanctions or to punish Saddam when he blocks or evades UN inspections. Our ability to ensure that Saddam Hussein is not producing weapons of mass destruction, therefore, has substantially diminished. Even if full inspections were eventually to resume, which now seems highly unlikely, experience has shown that it is difficult if not impossible to monitor Iraq’s chemical and biological weapons production. The lengthy period during which the inspectors will have been unable to enter many Iraqi facilities has made it even less likely that they will be able to uncover all of Saddam’s secrets. As a result, in the not-too-distant future we will be unable to determine with any reasonable level of confidence whether Iraq does or does not possess such weapons.

Such uncertainty will, by itself, have a seriously destabilizing effect on the entire Middle East. It hardly needs to be added that if Saddam does acquire the capability to deliver weapons of mass destruction, as he is almost certain to do if we continue along the present course, the safety of American troops in the region, of our friends and allies like Israel and the moderate Arab states, and a significant portion of the world’s supply of oil will all be put at hazard. As you have rightly declared, Mr. President, the security of the world in the first part of the 21st century will be determined largely by how we handle this threat.

Given the magnitude of the threat, the current policy, which depends for its success upon the steadfastness of our coalition partners and upon the cooperation of Saddam Hussein, is dangerously inadequate. The only acceptable strategy is one that eliminates the possibility that Iraq will be able to use or threaten to use weapons of mass destruction. In the near term, this means a willingness to undertake military action as diplomacy is clearly failing. In the long term, it means removing Saddam Hussein and his regime from power. That now needs to become the aim of American foreign policy.

We urge you to articulate this aim, and to turn your Administration's attention to implementing a strategy for removing Saddam's regime from power. This will require a full complement of diplomatic, political and military efforts. Although we are fully aware of the dangers and difficulties in implementing this policy, we believe the dangers of failing to do so are far greater. We believe the U.S. has the authority under existing UN resolutions to take the necessary steps, including military steps, to protect our vital interests in the Gulf. In any case, American policy cannot continue to be crippled by a misguided insistence on unanimity in the UN Security Council.

We urge you to act decisively. If you act now to end the threat of weapons of mass destruction against the U.S. or its allies, you will be acting in the most fundamental national security interests of the country. If we accept a course of weakness and drift, we put our interests and our future at risk.

Sincerely,

Elliott Abrams Richard L. Armitage William J. Bennett

Jeffrey Bergner John Bolton Paula Dobriansky

Francis Fukuyama Robert Kagan Zalmay Khalilzad

William Kristol Richard Perle Peter W. Rodman

Donald Rumsfeld William Schneider, Jr. Vin Weber

Paul Wolfowitz R. James Woolsey Robert B. Zoellick

We went into Iraq for one reason and one reason only...becuase George W. Bush wanted to.

If he were serious about nuclear containment, we would have invaded Korea. But, the don't have anything we need.

Quote Originally Posted by bairdi
    Why did we go into Iraq? Because those individuals who formed the Project for the New American Century and who have been working for regime change in Iraq for the past decade finally acquired the power to do it. That's why we changed 200 years of military policy and lauched a pre-emptive attack against a country who did not attack us.

Aren't we forgetting something? Also, the punch line at the top of the thread is that those comments were made by the prez and v.p.... in 1998. Please tell me who and why anyone would NOT want regime change in Iraq. I mean- besides saddam.
    Last edited by pwrone; 11-08-2005 at 10:29 AM.

Aren't we forgetting something? Also, the punch line at the top of the thread is that those comments were made by the prez and v.p.... in 1998. Please tell me who and why anyone would NOT want regime change in Iraq. I mean- besides saddam.

1998? Very scary to think that this agenda was planned at least 2 years before Bush was put in office. No wonder they had to cheat at the poles in Florida to make it possible. No wonder he didn't look real surprised when the towers were attacked, it was probably all part of the plan. Attack America, push through the Patriot Act limiting american freedoms and giving undue power to a tyrant.

And we let it happen and then turned around and did it again. Only now, are the people starting to wake up out of their stupor they've been in since 9/11 and demanding answers.

Better late than never I guess.

Lady Mod

This clown has revealed his agenda here many times. It isn't the safety of Americans. The only thing invading Iraq accomplished was to take one of Israel's enemies out of the Middle East equation. But this is all that really counts for Monkey pwrone.

Bush's Iraq escapades, clearly, have done absolutely nothing to enhance our strategic or economic security one iota. It has simply resulted in incalculable losses and costs to us and continues to exact a price so monstrous that only historians will be in a position to sort the mess out, if ever.

It's obvious from reading 99% of pwrone's diabolically twisted drivel that the true enemies of America are to be found from within and that the "terrists" are just a distraction.

Quote Originally Posted by dchristie

It's obvious from reading 99% of pwrone's diabolically twisted drivel that the true enemies of America are to be found from within and that the "terrists" are just a distraction.
    Who was it that said that they didn't need to conquer us in war, that they would conquer us from within our own borders?

Pwrone has definitely been conquered and serves as mouth piece for them.

LM

Quote Originally Posted by sojustask
    Who was it that said that they didn't need to conquer us in war, that they would conquer us from within our own borders?

Pwrone has definitely been conquered and serves as mouth piece for them.

LM

Indeed, for a barometer of just how far we've declined and how conclusively our erstwhile moral authority has been tarnished and squandered by the Bush Crime Gang, one only has to listen to the reportage and commentary on the morning news. The main topic today: "Is it okay to torture detainees?" I was never very optimistic about the maniacal agenda of right-wing fanatics in this country, but even my gloomy expectations on the direction these psychotic GOP fascists were taking us has been exceeded. In just 5 years, the America of our forebears has been summarily replaced by the New Improved Third Reich.

Folks, I may not like much of what pwrone says either, but he does have the right to have his own opinion and to speak his own opinion. Some of what he says even has a grain or two of truth in it.

The most convincing lies are the ones that have a grain of truth in them. One of the basic rules of debate is avoiding ad hominum arguments. All calling eachother names does is distract from the real issues.

You want to know the real reasons why we are in Iraq? Look at who profits and how. That will answer the question.

Yup, that and America should be the only one that's allowed to have weapons. That way we can continue policing the rest of the world and claiming we're the one with the "big balls" that can step in and take care of shiet while everyone else has to ask for help. Makes most American's feel better about their delusional selves.

Lady mod, that was Clinton and Gore in 1998, not Bush and cheney that said those things.

That takes care of the punch line, now why did we go into Iraq?

Because Saddam failed to comply with resolution 1441 and account for the wmd he admitted to having back in 1991. This made 17 U.N. resolutions Saddam thumbed his nose at, so we were forced to take action.

You democrats are very colorful with your conspiracy theories, but the bottom line is, if Saddam would have lived up to his agreement, we would have never invaded Iraq.

But don't let this stop dchristie and the other psychos just like it, from coming up with all their interesting fantasies. I find them very entertaining to read, because I've always liked fiction.

Quote Originally Posted by Grim17
    Lady mod, that was Clinton and Gore in 1998, not Bush and cheney that said those things.
    OK, thanks for the clarification, I was on the phone long distance with a friend and old client lastnight as well as watching the forex trading boards and moderating here. I guess I was "multi-tasking" too many things and his post didn't get my full attention. It didn't help that it was late and I had already put in a long day.

Of course it doesn't detract from what I said. If the attack was planned that far in advance, they would need to put in a president that would follow through on the agenda. Bush JR. was perfect for the job.

Hey, I'm human.

Lady Mod
    Last edited by sojustask; 11-08-2005 at 07:50 PM.

So lady mod, what do you have to say about the fact that this was Clinton and Gore's words? You had more than a few words when you thought it was Bush and Cheney.

Quote Originally Posted by Grim17
    So lady mod, what do you have to say about the fact that this was Clinton and Gore's words? You had more than a few words when you thought it was Bush and Cheney.

I have to repeat myself? The same thing, with the adjustment that they needed to put Bush in office as he would follow through on the already planned agenda. It explains why Daddy Warbucks and Clinton are both needed when it came to raising money for the anything.

You really don't think there is any real difference between a democrat and a republican do you? I don't.

Lady Mod