+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

It just doesn't pay to be honest anymore....

Here goes my sad story....hopefully someone will learn from it.

Last weekend I let a 15yr old driver "w/a permit" drive my car. Yes, I was in it.
    Anyway, when backing out slowly from the parking space, she hit the van that was parked next to us. So, I checked the van & it was fine other than a white scratch (from my car) which looked similar to if it was lightly keyed. It was about an inch long & not deep. No dents, nothing.

....Well, me being stupid..I left my name & # w/the van. Thinking that if they wanted to have it buffed out or the paint touched up (which would only take a DROP OF PAINT if that!!). Basically, I was being honest.

So, today (a week later) the guy calls me & tells me that it's going to be $1056.00!!!!
    If anyone wants to be as stupid as I was to think that everyone will be honest, you might want to think twice!

Re: It just doesn't pay to be honest anymore....

That isn't a touch up. That is what it costs to repaint the car. Shop probably claims it doesn't have the ability to rematch the paint.

BTW, I was trying to set a good example for her (the 15 yr old).
    Now, what she learned from that is....If you hit someone, drive away fast!

Anyway, the whole thing backfired on ME!!

Yeah, and you can't even be sure your car did the damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Ysne58
    That isn't a touch up. That is what it costs to repaint the car. Shop probably claims it doesn't have the ability to rematch the paint.
    I'm going to tell him that I know of someone who will fix it. Hopefully he will let me get it fixed.

I'm so mad right now! There is no way I want to exchange any kind of monies w/this guy.

Yeah, and you can't even be sure your car did the damage.
    Execpt for the "white" paint. :eek: But, my car is fine & his car is bigger than mine.
    He's just a liar! It so hard for me to not call him back & tell him what I think!

Quote Originally Posted by PAYEK
    Here goes my sad story....hopefully someone will learn from it.

Last weekend I let a 15yr old driver "w/a permit" drive my car. Yes, I was in it.
    Anyway, when backing out slowly from the parking space, she hit the van that was parked next to us. So, I checked the van & it was fine other than a white scratch (from my car) which looked similar to if it was lightly keyed. It was about an inch long & not deep. No dents, nothing.

....Well, me being stupid..I left my name & # w/the van. Thinking that if they wanted to have it buffed out or the paint touched up (which would only take a DROP OF PAINT if that!!). Basically, I was being honest.

So, today (a week later) the guy calls me & tells me that it's going to be $1056.00!!!!
    If anyone wants to be as stupid as I was to think that everyone will be honest, you might want to think twice!
    awww, sorry to hear about this payek. it sounds like this creep is trying to scam you into a new paint job. a light scratch can be removed with rubbing compound if it is a light scratch as you described, no big deal......

Quote Originally Posted by saturnsc2
    awww, sorry to hear about this payek. it sounds like this creep is trying to scam you into a new paint job. a light scratch can be removed with rubbing compound if it is a light scratch as you described, no big deal......
    It is no big deal. For real! I could tell he was lying on the phone. He's not a very good liar either! haha.
    He probably thinks if someone is dumb enough to leave their name & #, then they will be dumb enough to hand over $1056.00. He couldn't be more wrong!

BTW, I think he just wants the $$.

There is a good way to test that. Tell him you won't pay him, but will pay the shop of your choice to fix it.

There is a good way to test that. Tell him you won't pay him, but will pay the shop of your choice to fix it.
    That's what I was wondering. How does that work. Does it have to be someone HE chooses?
    The only reason he has me in a bad way here, is that he probably knows that I don't want to turn it over to my insurance co. & I can't just ignore him now (which I would in a heartbeat!) because he has my name, my cellph.# & my home # now because I was stupid (again) & called him from it!

I just keep messing this one up!

Quote Originally Posted by PAYEK
    That's what I was wondering. How does that work. Does it have to be someone HE chooses?
    The only reason he has me in a bad way here, is that he probably knows that I don't want to turn it over to my insurance co. & I can't just ignore him now (which I would in a heartbeat!) because he has my name, my cellph.# & my home # now because I was stupid (again) & called him from it!

I just keep messing this one up!
    was a police report filed at the time of the accident? that would have prevented this whole thing.

Quote Originally Posted by saturnsc2
    was a police report filed at the time of the accident? that would have prevented this whole thing.
    No. We just hit, left a name & # on the windshield & left.
    And OMG if I called the police for that, they would have laughed at me!!

At this point though, I'm thinking it would be cheaper in the short run to turn it over to my insurance co. But in the long run, my insurance will go up.

Well you are paying the bill. Its your word against his, if you know where he lives, go take pictures of the car before he takes a hammer to it or something.

Payek - Maybe you should call his bluff! Ask him to supply the written estimates. You can contact the bodyshops yourself and ask them what the deal is with the price. I'll bet he doesn't even have one. I've been burned, too. Backed into this woman's bumper (old car) in the parking lot at the lake. Apologized for nearly invisible scratch on rubber bumper and gave her my name and number - she was very sweet - said don't worry dear. By Wednesday she had two estimates for $903. and $910. faxed to me. I paid her but thought after that I should have called about the estimates. Good Luck!

Well you are paying the bill. Its your word against his, if you know where he lives, go take pictures of the car before he takes a hammer to it or something.
    Yeah, I'm going to take my sisters boyfriend w/me (he actually owns a body shop). I was thinking the same thing about it not looking the same when I see it again.

I guess we should all carry a camera w/us at all times! Or get one of those cellphones w/cameras!!

Quote Originally Posted by linda49
    Payek - Maybe you should call his bluff! Ask him to supply the written estimates. You can contact the bodyshops yourself and ask them what the deal is with the price. I'll bet he doesn't even have one. I've been burned, too. Backed into this woman's bumper (old car) in the parking lot at the lake. Apologized for nearly invisible scratch on rubber bumper and gave her my name and number - she was very sweet - said don't worry dear. By Wednesday she had two estimates for $903. and $910. faxed to me. I paid her but thought after that I should have called about the estimates. Good Luck!
    Sorry to hear about what happened to you. I guess we live & learn.

That's what I want to do is call his bluff. He said he got an estimate (I assume that means ONE) & that he can fax me the info. That doesn't mean much to me, because for all I know he has a buddy that works there & they are both trying to scam me.

I will tell him that I will get 3 estimates & we will go from there.