+ Reply to Thread

Wal-Mart vs. MLM

I just got an email regarding a new movie coming out that is about Wal-Mart and how that company is affecting the economy and people around this country. Looked VERY interesting. Since MLM people are concerned with distribution of products and since Wal-Mart appears to be the Mother of all distributors, I thought you might find this one interesting. Heck, it might even make more people want to buy via network marketing. If this is too far off-topic, please forgive me.

Anyway, here's a link to the trailer. As Ed Sullivan said about the Beatles back in 1964, "America, judge for yourselves."

Wal-Mart: The High Cost of Low Prices

Re: Wal-Mart vs. MLM

Quote Originally Posted by openQuestion
    I just got an email regarding a new movie coming out that is about Wal-Mart and how that company is affecting the economy and people around this country. Looked VERY interesting. Since MLM people are concerned with distribution of products and since Wal-Mart appears to be the Mother of all distributors, I thought you might find this one interesting. Heck, it might even make more people want to buy via network marketing. If this is too far off-topic, please forgive me.

Anyway, here's a link to the trailer. As Ed Sullivan said about the Beatles back in 1964, "America, judge for yourselves."

Wal-Mart: The High Cost of Low Prices
    Awesome point Open....i have always had mixed feelings with Walmart....as one came into our community a few years back, and at least a dozen small "mom & pop" businesses, a mall that was acrossed the street , and a kmart (before the bankruptcy) has closed down since then....so i am familiar with the impact one can have on the community.

that being said, i will say that, as much as i "hate" the corporate giant, i do shop there....there are certain items that you just cant beat them on prices!!! items such as soaps, detergents, hygiene products, etc.

which i think goes back to one problem that many MLM companies face (particularly product based)....there is no way they can compete with distributors such as walmart on price....i know a lot of product based MLM's will say that the quality speaks for itself....that might be all well and good... but i cant help but think that the "average" consumer would rather buy a bottle of centrum from walmart for $15 than buy a "special" vitamin from an MLM company for $23 a bottle.... no matter what the additional "benefits" are of the MLM product.

make sense?

Quote Originally Posted by BIGfranky75
    Awesome point Open....i have always had mixed feelings with Walmart....as one came into our community a few years back, and at least a dozen small "mom & pop" businesses, a mall that was acrossed the street , and a kmart (before the bankruptcy) has closed down since then....so i am familiar with the impact one can have on the community.

that being said, i will say that, as much as i "hate" the corporate giant, i do shop there....there are certain items that you just cant beat them on prices!!! items such as soaps, detergents, hygiene products, etc.

which i think goes back to one problem that many MLM companies face (particularly product based)....there is no way they can compete with distributors such as walmart on price....i know a lot of product based MLM's will say that the quality speaks for itself....that might be all well and good... but i cant help but think that the "average" consumer would rather buy a bottle of centrum from walmart for $15 than buy a "special" vitamin from an MLM company for $23 a bottle.... no matter what the additional "benefits" are of the MLM product.

make sense?
    Absolutely it makes sense! I'm married to a person who will tell you exactly that about vitamins.

Be curious to see this movie. Sounds like a fascinating story.

They also carry some products that other department stores don't carry at all, like yarn and sewing and craft project items. I know alot of people who like not having to make special trips for those items.

They don't treat their employees very well though. And that is a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Ysne58
    They also carry some products that other department stores don't carry at all, like yarn and sewing and craft project items. I know alot of people who like not having to make special trips for those items.

They don't treat their employees very well though. And that is a problem.
    hey! alright! a post by Ysne58 that didnt make me want to cinge! :p

i do agree with you, however, i love shopping while my oil change is getting done.

i dont know how they treat their employees, i know they do that whole "rah-rah wal-mart" thing before a shift... (i saw that once when i was shopping, all the cashiers had to go thru the exercise....they didnt seem too into it.) but i will say they pay well for the type of employee that they hire (typically unskilled and uneducated....obviously depending on the dept....i'm referencing the typical employee like a cashier or a stock person, etc.)...but i know that the walmart in my area starts wages at between $13 and $15 an hour....and for an uneducated person with no particularly marketable skills, that would be pretty decent i would guess.....at least better than being a "whopper-flopper."

which goes back to how it relates to MLM....could this trend (of almost decent paying jobs for the unskilled workforce) be taking some of the potential MLM business owners out of the pool of possibles? meaning that, in our society of people that are happy at the status quo....is it a stretch that there are more people "happy" with their wage now than there were "pre-walmart" expansion when there were more people making up the minimum wage workforce? just a thought... :confused:

Absolutely it makes sense! I'm married to a person who will tell you exactly that about vitamins.

Be curious to see this movie. Sounds like a fascinating story.
    i will definitely see the movie....i love that stuff! :)

Last I checked they were paying between $6.50 and $8.00 per hour. There are class action law suits against walmart in at least two states over forced skpped breaks, working through lunch hours without getting paid and forced/coerced unpaid overtime allegations.

That doesn't come close to almost paying a living wage. And then there are the news articles regarding how states have to pick up health insurance for these folks because walmart has benefits that almost no one qualifies for.

but i know that the walmart in my area starts wages at between $13 and $15 an hour....and for an uneducated person with no particularly marketable skills, that would be pretty decent i would guess.....at least better than being a "whopper-flopper."
    That seems awfully high. Can that be correct??

That seems awfully high. Can that be correct??
    i really dont know for a FACT, cuz i never worked there.... but those are the wages they post in the paper up here in the new england region...

i really dont know for a FACT, cuz i never worked there.... but those are the wages they post in the paper up here in the new england region...
    Well, I'm gonna have to mosey on down to the Wal-Mart and ask, I guess -- I am also in the Northeast. Hey, maybe they're hiring!!!! ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Ysne58
    Last I checked they were paying between $6.50 and $8.00 per hour. There are class action law suits against walmart in at least two states over forced skpped breaks, working through lunch hours without getting paid and forced/coerced unpaid overtime allegations.

That doesn't come close to almost paying a living wage. And then there are the news articles regarding how states have to pick up health insurance for these folks because walmart has benefits that almost no one qualifies for.
    Speaking from someone who worked at Wal-Mart for over 3 years.... I can say that Wal-Mart isn't THAT bad of a company. They actually treat their hourly employees pretty well. I actually loved working there. I started out as a stocker and worked my way up to Dept. Manager of Cosmetics in a year. I got 6 raises in 3 years, and by the time I was ready to leave, my district and store managers were asking me to stay and become an assistant manager. I turned him down, however, because I do think the assistants job sucks. The great thing about Wal-Mart, though, is that there is a GOOD chance of moving into the position that you want to if you work hard. For example, our district manager started out as a cart pusher. That's the lowest job on the totum poll at Wal-Mart and now he's making 6-figures. Not too shabby if you ask me.

They do start out at $6.50 (in my area.. every area is different based on what other stores in the area pay their employees).. BUT you are given every opportunity to make more. You get a raise after 3 months of being with a company, another after a year, and then annually from there on. Plus there are opportunities for promotions and also marit raises if you're recognized for doing a good job. Also... they give out "good job" pins, where if you collect 4 then they give you a share of stock... which isn't too bad if you ask me. Plus the benefits aren't that bad... they suck if you only go to the doctor once a year.. but it's mainly catastrophy insurance. If you get in an accident and it costs $200,000... you pay the deductable.. Wal-Mart pays the rest. There's no cap like a lot of insurance policies.

I can't vouch for those who have lawsuits going on, that stuff probably did happen given that every store is different and as with every corporate company, things go on that shouldn't. I can say that Wal-Mart (at least MY store) is VERY strict on making sure you take your breaks (especially lunch! you get it TROUBLE if you skip your lunch break) and don't work overtime... if you're hourly. Again, this is a whole different ballgame from the salaried employees... if the people with lawsuits are salaried... I'll believe that 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by April47
    Speaking from someone who worked at Wal-Mart for over 3 years.... I can say that Wal-Mart isn't THAT bad of a company. They actually treat their hourly employees pretty well. I actually loved working there. I started out as a stocker and worked my way up to Dept. Manager of Cosmetics in a year. I got 6 raises in 3 years, and by the time I was ready to leave, my district and store managers were asking me to stay and become an assistant manager. I turned him down, however, because I do think the assistants job sucks. The great thing about Wal-Mart, though, is that there is a GOOD chance of moving into the position that you want to if you work hard. For example, our district manager started out as a cart pusher. That's the lowest job on the totum poll at Wal-Mart and now he's making 6-figures. Not too shabby if you ask me.

They do start out at $6.50 (in my area.. every area is different based on what other stores in the area pay their employees).. BUT you are given every opportunity to make more. You get a raise after 3 months of being with a company, another after a year, and then annually from there on. Plus there are opportunities for promotions and also marit raises if you're recognized for doing a good job. Also... they give out "good job" pins, where if you collect 4 then they give you a share of stock... which isn't too bad if you ask me. Plus the benefits aren't that bad... they suck if you only go to the doctor once a year.. but it's mainly catastrophy insurance. If you get in an accident and it costs $200,000... you pay the deductable.. Wal-Mart pays the rest. There's no cap like a lot of insurance policies.

I can't vouch for those who have lawsuits going on, that stuff probably did happen given that every store is different and as with every corporate company, things go on that shouldn't. I can say that Wal-Mart (at least MY store) is VERY strict on making sure you take your breaks (especially lunch! you get it TROUBLE if you skip your lunch break) and don't work overtime... if you're hourly. Again, this is a whole different ballgame from the salaried employees... if the people with lawsuits are salaried... I'll believe that 100%.
    Interesting stuff! Be neat to see the opposing viewpoints in this film. I admit it: I am a sucker for those expose things.

Well, I'm gonna have to mosey on down to the Wal-Mart and ask, I guess -- I am also in the Northeast. Hey, maybe they're hiring!!!! ;)
    If the other stores in Franky's area (Wegmans and Target for example) start out that high then his Wal-Mart probably does too. They usually research the starting pay of other companies in the area and make their starting pay competitive.

testing 12345