+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: World is not really round....

Except that satellite imagery shows Earth as being round so that's obviously not a valid theory. But mathematically it's a nice experiment =)

Nope. If you perform the same transformation on the paths of the light, you would expect to see a round earth.

Light as we know it could never bend that much short of being in a vacuum and even then unlikely.
    What's their/your explanation of gravity in this sphere? It would have to have a lot more total mass than our current Earth to produce the same gravity as it would be more spread out. If Earth's mass was stretched exponentially far we would experience little gravity and "fall" straight to the closest large planet or moon. That's how I figure it anyway, if I'm wrong I apoligise.

I honestly can not believe that anyone would think the earth is flat.
    I went to the link http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forums/index.php & I can't believe it.
    I'm not sure if it's so funny or sad.

The shape of the earth has been proven in many ways. Now that we have satellite....you can even SEE it! Why would you argue w/facts or even more, something that is right in front of your eyes?!

Do you also question our solar system? Or is it just the shape of the earth??

Kazza - I like the theory, it reminds me of a kind of inverse non-Euclidean geometry. How large is the sphere? Does the theory allow for observations like night and day and the seasons?
    Last edited by Monopolized; 11-04-2005 at 08:38 PM.

I have been high enough to see the curvature of the earth. And I'm not talking about high on drugs either! :cool:

Quote Originally Posted by Monopolized
    Kazza - I like the theory, it reminds me of a kind of inverse non-Euclidean geometry. How large is the sphere? Does the theory allow for observations like night and day and the seasons?
    The sphere is the same radius as our earth now. As for gravity, it has the same strength as we know it to, just apply the same transformations and it all works out. I can't say that I can perform the maths myself, as the explanation I gave above is slightly simplistic, but both worlds are mathematically identical. Hence there is absolutely no way to disprove the theory. I'll do a little browsing and see if I can come up with a more rigorous explanation of it.

tommywho70x Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SubJunk
    Hehe well of course you're right about it not being round, that's why the first estimates of Earth's size were quite a bit off (those German scientists spend nearly a decade taking that wrong measurement too, ouch!) but I can't tell if you're joking about the other bit or not?
    The hollow-earth advanced civilization myth is an oldie; that's what Jules Verne's Journey to the Center of the Earth was based on. You'll see some hints of it in H.P. Lovecraft, E.R. Burroughs and Lin Carter, also.

Jesus On Mars is a Sci-Fi novel by Philip Jose Farmer - one of my faves.

Some Other Farmer Titles:
    The Riverworld series
    Venus On the Half Shell (as Kilgore Trout and a goof on Kurt Vonnegutt, Jr.)
    The Beast

Quote Originally Posted by kazza
    The sphere is the same radius as our earth now. As for gravity, it has the same strength as we know it to, just apply the same transformations and it all works out. I can't say that I can perform the maths myself, as the explanation I gave above is slightly simplistic, but both worlds are mathematically identical. Hence there is absolutely no way to disprove the theory. I'll do a little browsing and see if I can come up with a more rigorous explanation of it.
    I haven't started drawing any physics diagrams yet but the way I figure it is that if this Earth was the same raidus as our curent one it would have to be twice as large as our current one too, because when we were on one part of Earth in the more commonly accepted theory we are bound by the gravity of two radiuses.

Ahh hah, finally found a decent, non-cult site that explains this much better than I can.

http://www.geocities.com/inversedearth/

Quote Originally Posted by kazza
    Ahh hah, finally found a decent, non-cult site that explains this much better than I can.

http://www.geocities.com/inversedearth/
    That's interesting. At least we can agree that the earth is not flat.

If this were true, I really don't think any illusions would make the earth appear round from space. I understand the illusions theory, I just have a hard time believing it.

Technically it would look like it was round because of the change in space density curving the lightwaves/particles, but I think this is meant to be more of a mathematical experiment than an actual theory, this site has just taken it to the next level. It sure is interesting even as an experiment.

Yeah I don't think anyone really takes it seriously. Well, actually, the scientist that first proposed this (can't remember his name) started a whole cult around the idea. They have web pages on the net, I just wish I could remember the name of them. He actually got the theory completely wrong, but he was the first with the idea of an inverted earth.

testing 12345

Just when I thought I read everything. I can't believe the 4000 movies I have seen lied to me this whole time. LIES LIES LIES. SCAM.COM