+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Please help!

Please help!

I received this e-mail last week. At first I told this guy to buzz off and that I wasn't interested in his crap. When I talked with my dad about this subject he said that part of the email could be actually true. I'm asking for what other people think about this. When I asked why he wanted my address he replied to send me documents. I gave him my work number and work fax number and he was ok with that apparently. What is the real reason for wanting my info.? He could have gotten my address and ph. from whitepages.com. Please let me know what you all think. I did try and find him and his company all over the internet and found nothing.

EGOMBIA CHAMBERS
    Barristers & Solicitors(Legal Practitioners)
    No 251 Airport Road,Post Office Box 566
    Lome,Togo.

Dear Farnsworth,

I am Barrister Paul Egombia,a solicitor at law and a personal attorney to Late Dr.Jackson Farnsworth,here in after shall be referred to as my client.My client was an American oil consultant / contractor with the Togolaise Shell Petroleum Corporation.

Late Dr.Jackson,died in 1997 plane crash in Guam, South Korea.Since then I have made several enquiries to locate any of my clients extended relatives this has also proved unsuccessfull,he did not leave a will and all attempts to trace his next of kin were fruitless.

I have contacted you to assist in repartrating fund valued at Ten Million five hundred and twenty thousand United States dollars only(USD$10,520.000)left behind by my client with the Diamond Deposit & Financier Plc, Lome Togo,before it gets confisicated or declared unserviceable by the Finance Firm where this amount were deposited.

The Director of the Diamond Deposit & Financier Plc Lome Togo, contacted me on friday 09-03-2004 and asked that I as the attorney to Dr. Jackson (Late)should present either his cousins or his next of kin so that they will release and transfer the fund left in their custody to them.I therefore made further investigation in the bank and discovered that he did not mention any next of kin or relatives in all his official documents, including the forms he filled during the time he was making the deposit.At this stage, I became interested and started making plans on how to transfer this fund the total sum of Ten Million five hundred and twenty thousand United States dollars only(USD$10,520.000),into a foreign account knowing fully well that according to the laws of the Federal Republic of Togo Section 2 Sub-Section 5, paragraph IV states that at the expiration of 10 (Ten)years, any unclaimed fund shall be reverted into the escrow account of the Federal Government of Tog o with Central Bank if nobody p uts claims of ownership of the said fund.

Ever since then, I have made several attempts to locate any of his cousins or next of kin so that they will come forward to put in claims to the said fund but unfortunately, I discovered that in all his files with my chambers also,he never metioned having any relatives nor cousin's.
    After several attempts to trace any of his relative,I decided to track his last name over the internet in search of his cousins hence I contacted you.I was opportuned to have come accross your name,contact and your profile is what really encouraged me most to contact you on this issue

One fact remains clear,that anybody I present to the bank as his next of kin, shall inherit the fund and it is based on this fact that I ask you to get back to me immediately so that we both will discuss on terms of pertnership in this issue so that I will forward your name to the bank as his legitimate next of kin backed up with a sworn affidavit of oaths from the magistrate court of Togo.

Be advised that this transaction is 100% risk-free as this transaction will remain sealed for life at the conclusion which will not take more than Three weeks.I await your immediate response so that I will give you a more comprehensive detail as regards to this transaction.

Thanks and remain blessed in anticipation of your understanding.

Barrister PaulEgombia Esq.
    Principal Attorney,
    Egombia Chambers
    Lome,Togo.

Re: Please help!

Scam scam scam scam! This is just another version of the Nigerian scam, except different people from different countries have adapted it, changed the name of the alleged deceaced and the amount available. All they are trying to do is either steal your identity for some nefarious purpose, or to empty your bank account. Two ways to go with thse things:

Ignore them and report them as SPAM, or bait them and bust them. You can have fun with this baiting if you have the time.... I just don't have the time.

Believe me, I have received well over 100 of these type of offers, all with different "barristers" and all with different dead folk who left some large amount of millions of US Dollars and they need your bank to process it.... It's all a scam.
    I read one guy who baited them pretended to be Captain Kirk and even used a picture of Kirk on a fake passport which he sent to the scammer. The scammer actually fell for it and I think got busted....
    What they try to do is milk little bits of info out of you until they have everything they need to pretend they are you and commit fraud in your name.
    Even if you bait them never use your real info.....
    This gives a pretty good description of these type of scams:
    http://www.snopes.com/crime/fraud/nigeria.asp
    Last edited by Ravensmedicine; 10-31-2005 at 04:47 PM.

Thank you for the link and it just helped subside my gut feeling on this issue.

The first time I got one of these emails was 2002 and of course I hoped it was real. But I always do a google search of any suspicious offer first so I entered Orient Bank Lagos Nigeria and that's the first I learned of these scams. Then about a year later I started getting the same type of scams only different African or Middle East counties. I also found they will exploit recent plane crashes or other disasters and link you to some news site, then claim the person they represent was killed in the disaster and left millions of dollars behind.... terrible how they exploit the disasters like that. I wouldn't give a penny to any disaster relief simply because so many scammers claim to want donations for disaster victims. Hurricane Katrina is gaining notoriety now as being the basis for numerous donation scams....

Hello folks!!!
    I am David from Moscow ,a new member of this forum.
    Tell me please why are you paying your attention to all this nonsense?Isn't it obvious that it is SCAM&SPAM.Absolutely everything what is coming into your mailbox unexpected is a SPAM and SCAM.It is so simple .Why you are wasting your time and nerves to even read this bull....t?Know why?Curiosity,greed and wish of easy money.
    Of course we are here to help each other,but some things are so simple to ignore them.Just never open and never answer those e-mails ,never send any rude response or you will be bombarded more and more.Delite.Let's tell & discuss some fresh scams that are unknown to everybody.
    Best regards to all of you. :D ;) :)

Quote Originally Posted by jfarnsworth
    Thank you for the link and it just helped subside my gut feeling on this issue.
    ya, this is in fact just another version of the nigerian scam & there's so many like that out there! i must get a few of these in my spam folder every month. it's pathetic!

Quote Originally Posted by zortex
    Hello folks!!!
    I am David from Moscow ,a new member of this forum.
    Tell me please why are you paying your attention to all this nonsense?Isn't it obvious that it is SCAM&SPAM.Absolutely everything what is coming into your mailbox unexpected is a SPAM and SCAM.It is so simple .Why you are wasting your time and nerves to even read this bull....t?Know why?Curiosity,greed and wish of easy money.
    Of course we are here to help each other,but some things are so simple to ignore them.Just never open and never answer those e-mails ,never send any rude response or you will be bombarded more and more.Delite.Let's tell & discuss some fresh scams that are unknown to everybody.
    Best regards to all of you. :D ;) :)
    LOL! you said it best! i don't believe in easy money or free money. you have to earn it! at least that's what i was brought up to think...

testing 12345