+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

50 CENT Billboards Get a Beat-Down in South Central

In their seemingly tireless effort to celebrate violence and depravity, to undermine the traditional family unit, and to portray minorities as either criminals or caricatures, hollywood forgot that not everyone is mesmerized by their sick siren song.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

50 Cent Billboard Removed After Protest
    Rapper Shown Holding Gun

POSTED: 4:42 pm EDT October 29, 2005
    UPDATED: 4:53 pm EDT October 29, 2005

Some billboards for a movie by rapper 50 Cent are coming down after Los Angeles community activists complained they promote gun violence.

Paramount Pictures has taken down some ads for the movie "Get Rich or Die Tryin" that depict the rapper from the back holding a gun.

Critics said some of the billboards were too close to schools and would give kids the wrong message.

Los Angeles County Supervisor Mike Antonovich raised the issue in a letter this week to Paramount's president and activists in South Los Angeles staged a rally Tuesday to protest the signs.

One organizer accused Paramount of irresponsibility for using a gun ad to market the movie in an area plagued by gang crime and homicides.

http://www.nbc10.com/entertainment/5205255/detail.html

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    50, always sensitive to the concerns of the black community, said: "I do appreciate it," the rapper told Reuters in an interview. "They are talking about it on media outlets I didn't have plans to market the movie to. They are helping me out."

Re: 50 CENT Billboards Get a Beat-Down in South Central

It's 50 Cents... what do you expect.. :rolleyes:

BUT... as we have discussed many, many times - it's his 1st Amendment right.

tommywho70x Guest

This report and your comments are yet another shining example of the reduntantly
    reactionary cartoon nature of your psyche.

The typical non-professional news reader might grunt a little something about it to themselves and anybody within ear-shot at the time that they read it.

The only professional news analysts that I can think of who would have even given this story a second thought would be somebody who works in marketing for the entertainment industry.

Certainly no professional political scientist would have given the story a second glance and definitely not the time-consuming treatment that you have used once more to splash a blast of your mental diarrhea in our faces.

Quote Originally Posted by tommywho70x
    This report and your comments are yet another shining example of the reduntantly
    reactionary cartoon nature of your psyche.

The typical non-professional news reader might grunt a little something about it to themselves and anybody within ear-shot at the time that they read it.

The only professional news analysts that I can think of who would have even given this story a second thought would be somebody who works in marketing for the entertainment industry.

Certainly no professional political scientist would have given the story a second glance and definitely not the time-consuming treatment that you have used once more to splash a blast of your mental diarrhea in our faces.

Once again you have dramatically demonstrated your lack of grasp of current social issues. A successful community protest in South Central L.A. to remove dangerous marketing techniques aimed at their children is not only socially significant, it is important, period.

As far as this not being 'news', I could post the 100 or so news links to the story but if you had any intention of educating yourself on the issue you would have done so before posting.

Um, you are aware that these news items are complete PR hype adverising -for- the movie itself? in the same manner as when 50 cent's associates were recently "arrested."

You're arguing over a completely manufactured PR campaign. It's apparently as successful as releasing a sex tape.

tommywho70x Guest

Quote Originally Posted by pwrone
    Once again you have dramatically demonstrated your lack of grasp of current social issues. A successful community protest in South Central L.A. to remove dangerous marketing techniques aimed at their children is not only socially significant, it is important, period.

As far as this not being 'news', I could post the 100 or so news links to the story but if you had any intention of educating yourself on the issue you would have done so before posting.
    Go ahead and dig yourself in deeper.

You are a pawn of the MAIN MENU STREAM (03) MEDIA VMM (01+XXX-NNN-NNNN) -- you are helping them HYPE (XML RSS) NEWS FEED their crap and you're stupid enough to be paying for the privilege of advertising not only for them, but things you don't like, too!

It wouldn't surprise me one little bit if the 'successful community protest' that led to the removal of the billboards wasn't pushed by a competing recording studio, if not 50 Cents' own PR Team.

Your utter lack of knowledge of how things work in the entertainment industry is only overshadowed by your ludicrously redundant compulsion to obsess about anything that that doesn't conform to your absurd MK-ULTRA TURBOT CHARGED right-wing PHISHERMAN (financial advisor) WING-NUT OPINIONS.

COHO! (LIPS: Battle Cry of Steve Dahl's Anti-Disco Demolition Army. Circa 1970 102 FM WSDM - CHICAGO FEST)ivities)

FCC(R)2 Cheekie: Dick Biondi (1) "If women's skirts get any shorter, they'll need to powder both sets of cheeks (BANISHED from 820 AM WLS RADIO)"

So now BOTH of you are implying that the protest was manufactured by the studios...You mean to say, that in South Central, it is inconceivable that anyone would ACTUALLY protest the glorification of gun violence. WOW

So now BOTH of you are implying that the protest was manufactured by the studios...You mean to say, that in South Central, it is inconceivable that anyone would ACTUALLY protest the glorification of gun violence. WOW
    That's certainly not my point. Don't put words or implications in my mouth. How many times do I have to ask you this?

In their seemingly tireless effort to celebrate violence and depravity, to undermine the traditional family unit, and to portray minorities as either criminals or caricatures, hollywood forgot that not everyone is mesmerized by their sick siren song.
    They seemed to have you mesmerized. Enough so that you wanted to share it here. So, does that make you a "sick" follower?

Lady Mod

tommywho70x Guest

I'm not implying -- I'm stating from experience that it wouldn't surprise me to discover that the studio PR people; either 50 Cent's own guys or their competition; were behind the community action.

If I am correct, it should be apparent that a little bit of money paid out for an agent's salary and some cheap flyers seems to have gone a long way in newspaper, radio, TV and Internet news coverage that they didn't need to purchase.

Good thread to start - this is a serious issue. I agree with you, pwrone, that there is a need for concern; and look at the bling he has on, and a big Crucifix, at that....hmmm...I for one try NOT to be a "sick" follower of the poison that Hollywood is shoving in peeps' faces, and alas, it is all around us.

For what the mind sees, it believes and perceives as real - a person's mind is like a computer: garbage in results in garbage out.

This stuff gives kids the wrong message, definitely- unfortunately, as a role model to many kids, 50 Cent isn't a good one.

Madonna as an entertainer spent a lot of time corrupting the minds of a generation of kids. I have read a couple interviews she did- now, as a mother of young kids, she doesn't even allow magazines or TV in her house because of the influence it could have on her kids. Gee, I guess she wouldn't have her book of nudie pics she did (or whatever it was) sitting out on the coffee table, then.

The NBA implemented a dress code for its' players- some players are ok with it, but others are not. The purpose is to have professional looking teams of role models. There were complaints about many of the players, I guess, with the street/gang-type apparel - and yes some of the bling- and it is not a racial issue, just an across-the-board enforcement of better choice of clothes/appearance. Then they will be taken more seriously, look more pro., and also serve as better role models for kids. I saw this on CNN. Dennis Rodman spoke, and he had some smart, good points; he is against the dress code, imagine that! What a zany guy, and I don't mean that as a cut on him. He was wearing earrings in his nose, and an earring that dangled, through his bottom lip, and stuff like that. I sure hope my stepson doesn't ever get inspired by anything like that, nor a lot of the Hollywood-type scene.

Quote Originally Posted by boone
    Good thread to start - this is a serious issue. I agree with you, pwrone, that there is a need for concern; and look at the bling he has on, and a big Crucifix, at that....hmmm...I for one try NOT to be a "sick" follower of the poison that Hollywood is shoving in peeps' faces, and alas, it is all around us.

For what the mind sees, it believes and perceives as real - a person's mind is like a computer: garbage in results in garbage out.

This stuff gives kids the wrong message, definitely- unfortunately, as a role model to many kids, 50 Cent isn't a good one.

Madonna as an entertainer spent a lot of time corrupting the minds of a generation of kids. I have read a couple interviews she did- now, as a mother of young kids, she doesn't even allow magazines or TV in her house because of the influence it could have on her kids. Gee, I guess she wouldn't have her book of nudie pics she did (or whatever it was) sitting out on the coffee table, then.

The NBA implemented a dress code for its' players- some players are ok with it, but others are not. The purpose is to have professional looking teams of role models. There were complaints about many of the players, I guess, with the street/gang-type apparel - and yes some of the bling- and it is not a racial issue, just an across-the-board enforcement of better choice of clothes/appearance. Then they will be taken more seriously, look more pro., and also serve as better role models for kids. I saw this on CNN. Dennis Rodman spoke, and he had some smart, good points; he is against the dress code, imagine that! What a zany guy, and I don't mean that as a cut on him. He was wearing earrings in his nose, and an earring that dangled, through his bottom lip, and stuff like that. I sure hope my stepson doesn't ever get inspired by anything like that, nor a lot of the Hollywood-type scene.

While hollywood is invariably going to use what they deem to be the most attention-getting adverts they can, it is typical that any thought that glorifying violence in a neighborhood destroyed by violence would not be 'okay' did not occur to them. These citizens represent the people of this country who do not want their children or their families constantly bombarded by filth and violence. These citizens represent the majority in this country. These citizens should be lauded on this thread...but they are not.

Quote Originally Posted by ianmatthews
    That's certainly not my point. Don't put words or implications in my mouth. How many times do I have to ask you this?
    THIS IS WHAT YOU WROTE:
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Um, you are aware that these news items are complete PR hype adverising -for- the movie itself? in the same manner as when 50 cent's associates were recently "arrested."
    You're arguing over a completely manufactured PR campaign. It's apparently as successful as releasing a sex tape.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll put it yet another way...you are saying that these protesters in South Central are either A) hollywood employees or B)Don't exist

Right? Or have you been misunderstood some more?

I don't know if the protesters were planted or not... but I would certainly agree with tommy that the billboards were stratigically placed throughout this community by the studio for publicity purposes.

looks like it worked!!

tommywho70x Guest

pwrone, you seem to not be 'grokking' me or ian on the possibility that the demonstrations could have been an organized publicity stunt using real stock players from the community itself.

it doesn't take much to place one or more agents in a crowd and provoke a protest or steer the course of a demonstration. it's done all the time, or did you think all that crap that has been happening all these years at public demonstrations are just coincidences that manifest by accident?

i can't speak for Ian about the citizens who may have been manipulated, but i certainly applaud them for the stand they took, whether the studios had anything to do with it or not.
    Last edited by tommywho70x; 11-01-2005 at 02:48 AM.

I'll bet no one is more shocked and disturbed by this than the movie executives...

Waterfront Slaying Investigated; Rapper's Movie Pulled

WEST HOMESTEAD, Pa. -- Gunfire in the Loews Waterfront movie theater killed a man Wednesday night, West Homestead police said.

The victim, identified as Shelton Flowers, 30, of Wilkinsburg, was hit in the thigh and chest. He died later at UPMC Presbyterian.

Allegheny County police said a confrontation broke out between Flowers and three other men in the bathroom.

Flowers had just left the 9 p.m. showing of the new 50 Cent movie.

Employees at the concession stand reported hearing the shots, police said. Soon after that, Flowers was found near some video game machines.

Two men were seen running out of the main entrance after the shooting, witnesses told police. Another man left through the rear doors.

Police said nobody has come forward to identify a shooter, even though the building was busier than a usual weeknight, with the 50 Cent movie, "Get Rich Or Die Tryin'" debuting on two screens.

The West Homestead police chief told Channel 4 Action News that the department put an off-duty police officer at the theater -- which is unusual for a weeknight -- due to the showing of the movie.

The chief said the officer did hear and respond to the shots, and right after, the victim crossed the officer's path and collapsed.

Allegheny County homicide detectives are now handling the case. They have not commented yet.

The Waterfront theater pulled the movie until the investigation is complete, Channel 4 Action News reporter Sheldon Ingram said.

http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/...03/detail.html