+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 1234567891011 LastLast

Is there one God, or many gods?

Religions are everywhere in the world. According to geographical areas, the largest religions are Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, Chinese traditional religion, and Buddhism. Then there about a dozen medium-sized religions, followed by smaller religions, cults and religious movements. It has been said they all worship the same God. However, based on religious claims about deities, there are differences. As an example, reincarnation is an important belief in Indian religions.

Re: Is there one God, or many gods?

Quote Originally Posted by Cnance View Post
    Religions are everywhere in the world. According to geographical areas, the largest religions are Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, Chinese traditional religion, and Buddhism. Then there about a dozen medium-sized religions, followed by smaller religions, cults and religious movements. It has been said they all worship the same God. However, based on religious claims about deities, there are differences. As an example, reincarnation is an important belief in Indian religions.
    In my opinion they all flow from a common theme: That there is a source for creation. Whether you believe in a celestial hierarchy or not there is a singular source. As tribes we have our own life experiences, create our own moral code . From that code and experience whether through visions, needs or the desire for control religions are formed. They are always framed from our cultural perspective. God(s) are made in OUR image not the other way around. There is the universal desire to connect with the divine, however, we kill each other trying to find the right path.

Quote Originally Posted by noagenda View Post
    In my opinion they all flow from a common theme: That there is a source for creation. Whether you believe in a celestial hierarchy or not there is a singular source. As tribes we have our own life experiences, create our own moral code . From that code and experience whether through visions, needs or the desire for control religions are formed. They are always framed from our cultural perspective. God(s) are made in OUR image not the other way around. There is the universal desire to connect with the divine, however, we kill each other trying to find the right path.
    If there were a singular source, why all of the confusion and conflicting theories then?!
    As long as it is acceptable for a person to beLIEve that he knows how god wants everyone on Earth to live, we will continue to murder one another on account of our myths. ~ Sam Harris, 'The End Of Faith'
    ~~~~~
    Christianity demands the crucifixion of the intellect.
    ~ Susan Kierkegaard

Quote Originally Posted by ohein56 View Post
    If there were a singular source, why all of the confusion and conflicting theories then?!
    As I pointed out in my post its our ethnocentric perspective on the divine. We view God with our own lens. Our own value system. We create our God image to fit our moral code. Believers feel the presence of God. How its articulated in their life is not universal.

How do you know that what you're feeling is god?
    As long as it is acceptable for a person to beLIEve that he knows how god wants everyone on Earth to live, we will continue to murder one another on account of our myths. ~ Sam Harris, 'The End Of Faith'
    ~~~~~
    Christianity demands the crucifixion of the intellect.
    ~ Susan Kierkegaard

Quote Originally Posted by ohein56 View Post
    How do you know that what you're feeling is god?
    No one knows with 100 % certainty. The more one practices their faith and sees the correlation of prayer and effect in their lives does one have a surer confirmation of those feelings. The build-up of one's faith is based on experiences. It is the closest thing people have of proof. In my opinion ritual sometimes gets in the way of true connection. It can alienate people from real communion with God.

what about defining what a god is? the simplest definition is a god cannot die? in that case their are many beings who cannot die in the spiritual menagerie!? that's if the idea of a spirit world is accepted!? and the christian god defines himself simply as I AM!? that's pretty NON denominational in my book!? ::bunny::spin2::
    i do not endorse/recommend any advertising on scam.com associated with my name /posts or otherwise. thank you

GOD IS ONE.

the question of confusion over source by ohein reminds me of science. the confusion say about global warming as ts called.....why all the different opinions from science!? lol:
    i do not endorse/recommend any advertising on scam.com associated with my name /posts or otherwise. thank you

God...... well, the logic tells me that no-one can tell you except God himself. Until you will have your own experience you will never know, no matter how much convincing someones argument can be. Look, ancient greeks believed that Zeus, the major god of greek pantheon, lives at the top of Olimp mountain. They believed but the actually never went there to check that out. You don't have to agree but that how it looks like to me. Experience and find out yourself, don't rely on others argumentation.

the biblical theory is man has lost god and is born to find him again!? the logic behind that is lost from god is NOT a recoverable condition in gods REALM so an artificial REALM was created whereby man could work things out so to speak!? and in essence when man left god that automatically happened as god's reaction to the allowing of choice in/for man!?there is a saying that if you change your future you change your history!? so how we SEE our future in our daily lives determines our future, and coincidentally in unison with our fellow man the future of mankind!? and while THIS VISION can be defined by words, the words ALONE (uttered by man) do NOT make it SO!! the GODS behind the words are the TRUE ENFORCEMENT!! and in our life of earthly existence that enforcement is always PENDING!!

There is only one God and Creator. Man has felt His presence and given Him many different names and attributes.

One God, many ideas about gods.

There is only one God and Creator. Man has felt His presence and given Him many different names and attributes.

Re: One God, many ideas about gods.

Quote Originally Posted by Skywriting View Post
    well that's a good way to put it!! of course i wonder HOW the average person FEELS his presence!? without drugs of course....and you can edit your double post and delete it!!

a lot of it relates to the tradition you were raised in as a child if raised as a Hindu then you believe in many Gods, although friends have told me that the household has only a couple that are their favorites and those are the ones they pray to. if raised as a Jew or a Christian then 1 God. the Buddhist technically are atheists they do not believe in a a Supreme being they revere Buddha. the Muslims believe in 1 God. so it depends upon how you were raised as to what you believe.

Quote Originally Posted by knightmare3000 View Post
    a lot of it relates to the tradition you were raised in as a child if raised as a Hindu then you believe in many Gods, although friends have told me that the household has only a couple that are their favorites and those are the ones they pray to. if raised as a Jew or a Christian then 1 God. the Buddhist technically are atheists they do not believe in a a Supreme being they revere Buddha. the Muslims believe in 1 God. so it depends upon how you were raised as to what you believe.
    so HOW were YOU raised and what is the MEANING of your screen name!? thanks