+ Reply to Thread

Some bottled water is a scam! Do your research

Some bottled water sources are questionable. If it is labelled "Spring Water" then beware. There are a lot of companies that just start bottling water. I have been drinking distilled water for ten years now and whenever I am on the road and ran out of distilled, I cringe at what the bottled water in the store is going to taste like. Since I have drank distilled for so long, I can "taste" any other type of water and Spring has got to be the worst. My wife just made the mistake of buying a jug of it for our home this weekend. It is nasty!! Only good when it's really cold to numb everything while going down. I can even taste something in Reverse Osmosis as well but it is up there with distilled water. We switch back and forth. Those two are the purest water you can buy.

Don't get me wrong, it is better to buy Spring water than to drink the city water laced with Chlorine and Fluoride. But unless the spring water has gone through a second process like ozonation or ultraviolet light, I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole!

This does not even discuss how the minerals present in spring water are inorganic and cannot be used by the body. Do a test , boil the water in a pot until it goes dry and see what remains in the bottom. A glass of water may be clear when it comes out of a tap, but what is it in contact with constantly? Ground, dirt rocks etc... Amazing that over time these inorganic minerals can accumulate in our bodies and actually cause the arteries and organs get harder. Over time of course. Anyone else out there read about these things?

Re: Some bottled water is a scam! Do your research

Heheh... in a word: Dasani. I notice people in the US still drink it. Perhaps they should become familiar with what happened to Dasani in the UK. Basically, Coca-Cola were going for a 3000% markup while managing to poison consumers at the same time. Nice.

Thanks for adding that Dynamoo. :) I have added that article to my library.
    Once again we see what big companies do behind everyone's backs. A perfect example of profits before people. I hope we will see more of the scams being exposed. This kind of thing is happening all over the world. You don't have to be a big company either. Even smaller water companies will pull this same stunt. It's huge money just to sell purified water. It's pretty bad to see people trying to even cheap out on purifying their water. I've looked into this kind of business and you can make good money. But of course, doing it the "proper" way. (actually purifying the water)

Hmmm, I wonder if Coke in the US is doing this same thing?

brendakc is offline Dance like no one's watching... User Rank

I buy distilled water as well. I used to buy spring water until I read up on it. But if you want good tap water, move to Birmingham, Alabama! Better than Dasani... ;)

BIRMINGHAM WATER WORKS vs BRANDED BOTTLED WATER
    Customers Choose Birmingham Water Works Water
    Over Top Brand Bottled Water

(Birmingham, Ala.) In a blind taste test over two days, 63% of Birmingham Water Works customers preferred the taste their tap water over top bottled water and distilled water brands. The taste test was administered to actual Water Works customers. The goal of the test is to rate the tap water to other popular water comparing taste, smell/odor, clarity and overall quality. Customers tasted three water samples that included: Birmingham Water Works tap water, Dasani, a Coca-Cola brand and Crystal distilled water. The taste test will resume Friday, December 5, 2003 from 10:00 a.m. until noon at 3600 First Avenue North.

Studies show that Americans consume more than 18 gallons of bottled water per person each year. A widely held perception is that bottled water tastes better because it lacks the chlorine taste. Many consumers also perceive bottled water as being safer and of better quality.

"This taste test showed us that customers really like the taste of Birmingham Water Works water," said Mac Underwood, Deputy General Manager. "We have also been rated top five in the nation for our water quality, so the taste and quality is there."

A study by the World Wildlife Fund International of bottled water versus tap water determined that bottled water is no safer or healthier than what you get right out of the tap.

"Bottled water companies have capitalized on consumer concerns about the safety of their tap water, but Birmingham has always provided excellent, high quality water to its customers. We've got some of the best water available anywhere in the U.S.A.," noted Underwood.

Founded in 1951, the Birmingham Water Works is the largest water system in the state and serves more than 750,000 customers in five-counties including Blount, Walker, St. Clair, Shelby and Jefferson. The Birmingham Water Works has been rated in the top 5 water systems in the nation for water quality and is a member of the American Water Works Association. For more information about the Birmingham Water Works, please visit our Website at www.birminghamwaterworks.com.
    http://www.bwwsb.com/about/press_rel...aste_test.html

Thanks for that info Brendakc. I think this is one of the cities that stepped up and decided to get rid of chlorine and put in this system instead.

quote"
    A study by the World Wildlife Fund International of bottled water versus tap water determined that bottled water is no safer or healthier than what you get right out of the tap.

I will outright disagree with the World Wildlife Fund International. I wonder what water supply they used for the study? Most water systems in use by cities is just treatment places. Then they add chloine and fluoride to the water as well. I would never put water in my body that had chlorine or fluoride in it.

Brenda, do you have a copy of that study, or know where to get it from? I would like to see what water they used to compare against the bottled water. They could have compared Birmingham's water versus a dishonest bottled water producer like COKE!!!! Or worse. ;)

I forgot to mention in that last post. An important observation. The study states that americans consume more than 18 gallons of bottled water a year. That is a sad statement. Consider what we are supposed to be drinking everyday. 2 liters, not including if it's hot weather, or if we're exercising etc... that's the basic body need daily. So let's figure this out. I figure at 2 liters a day, that's 730 liters a year or 193.12 gallons. That's a huge difference from 18 gallons. It just goes to show that we like our flavored drinks better than water. Our health (lack of) also shows it.

brendakc is offline Dance like no one's watching... User Rank

Quote Originally Posted by Rawb

Brenda, do you have a copy of that study, or know where to get it from? I would like to see what water they used to compare against the bottled water. They could have compared Birmingham's water versus a dishonest bottled water producer like COKE!!!! Or worse. ;)
    No...I found a lot of publications quoting it, but did not find the actual study. I'll keep looking...

No I can say that birmingham water is terrible. I feel bad giving it to my dogs. Though I did just move here from KY so maybe I just don't know what good water is :D !!

Quote Originally Posted by brendakc
    I buy distilled water as well. I used to buy spring water until I read up on it. But if you want good tap water, move to Birmingham, Alabama! Better than Dasani... ;)

http://www.bwwsb.com/about/press_rel...aste_test.html

if you have ever watched the show from Penn and Teller called Bullsh*t they actually have an episode that tells all about the "bottled water" scam it is no different than tap water in most cases

testing 123