+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Re: Focus PeggieSue -- FOCUS

Quote Originally Posted by PeggieSue View Post
    I've enjoyed the discussion we have had about guns.

You think the odds would be better but I myself am not so sure about that.
    From what I read in mass shootings, they happen very quick and the shooter usually takes their own life. In a mass shooting that takes five minutes, I would think the people present would be trying to get out of the way of the bullets, they would be panicked. No time to get their gun and take aim so that they could shoot the shooter. Would have to be pretty darn lucky. Everyone in the place where the shooting is occurring would be taken off guard. There is just no way to know if a person having a gun would make a positive difference. In the info I read, the FBI says in half of the mass shooting incidents where the Police intervened, a Police Officer lost his life.
    It would be so chaotic and how could a person even have the time to get their thoughts together enough to try and shoot the shooter unless they had been trained to do so. Like a police officer, military etc.
    I just can't see the average Joe being able to make a difference.

If we take a look at something other than a mass shooting incident, like a robbery in a store, I would say the odds are good.
    Peggy, you are only looking at that scenario from the viewpoint of an average Joe. From the viewpoint of someone who is not trained to react, and not panic. In many situations, baring grade schools, there are usually at least a few ex military or ex law enforcement people in any crowded place. People who are trained not to panic, who are trained on what to do. Not to mention the fact that people who take the time to educate themselves and get trained and practice with their firearm, also do not have the mindset of the average Joe who is not prepared to draw a weapon to defend themself. like I stated, not everyone should be armed. I don't mean this in a disparaging way, but you don't seem like the kind of person who would want to be armed for a situation like that, thats fine. But believe it or not there are people who are either ex military, ex law forcement, or average citizens who do exactly that, train and prepare to draw a weapon when needed. Those kind of people do increase the chances that a mass shooting might end sooner than it otherwise would. A fully unprepared person shakily drawing a weapon unsure of what to do, does not.

I'm not saying that just because someone is armed and can return fire that it would end every situation. But it dramatically increases the chances of a mass shooting ending quicker than it would have otherwise.

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" Ben Franklin United States Founding Father.

I replied to this post earlier but I'm not seeing my reply. Maybe I just wrote it and didn't submit. lol I'm working outside pruning bushes and taking breaks reading Scam.com.

I thought back to crisis situations I've been involved in during my life and I too handle crisis well and get stressed afterward. Gave me a new perspective on how some could handle a mass shooting incident better than others.
    Makes sense. i'll repeat again before someone thinks I'm claiming to be a hero... I declined to get a carry license, i don;t want to be in that position.

I agree Jax.
    Now we need to get back to this gun free zone thing. I do thing we need certain places where people should not be carrying a gun. The work place seems like a good place to start. A workplace like the Post Office. lol
    I don't understand where you are coming from in relationship to gun free zones and wanting people to be able to have a gun on their person. Do you not want any gun free zones?

We are back to the argument that when guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns. Why disarm innocent people that are proven to be lawful citizens when we know criminals will still be armed?

conserv4ever is offline You Can't Handle the Truth! User Rank

Re: He Bought a Gun Looking for the OPPORTUNITY to Kill Another Human Being

Yet another story that shows that when seconds count, the police are only minutes away.
    A husband had to use deadly force to defend himself, his wife and his home from a home invader earlier this week as his wife talked to a 911 operator.
    According to PE.com,
    About 10:45 p.m., a woman called 911 to report a burglary in progress, Riverside County sheriff’s officials said in a news release. The woman said a man was trying to force his way into their home in the 100 block of South Torn Ranch Road and that her husband had armed himself with a handgun.

Sheriff’s officials said the husband, who is in his 40s, warned the man that he was armed and would shoot if he continued. The intruder did not heed the resident’s warning, breaking a window, and the homeowner opened fire, according to sheriff’s officials.
    The man was taken by ambulance to Inland Valley Medical Center in Wildomar, where he succumbed to his injuries.
    The homeowner is not expected to face any charges in the incident (since this is California we felt the need to say that).

Quote Originally Posted by tomInAustin View Post
    We are back to the argument that when guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns. Why disarm innocent people that are proven to be lawful citizens when we know criminals will still be armed?
    He's right Peggy, all gun free zones do is keep law abiding citizens from carrying guns there. Criminals, people intending to do harm, will still carry guns there. In fact they often target those places. In my view gun free zones are useless to everyone except to people looking to cause harm. Gun free zones actually benefit those people.

Do you think the "drug free zone" signs at high schools actually keep drugs out or do any good whatsoever? Do the dealers or addicts see those signs and suddenly have a change of heart or decide to go elsewhere?

No

Quote Originally Posted by conserv4ever View Post
    Yet another story that shows that when seconds count, the police are only minutes away.
    A husband had to use deadly force to defend himself, his wife and his home from a home invader earlier this week as his wife talked to a 911 operator.
    According to PE.com,
    About 10:45 p.m., a woman called 911 to report a burglary in progress, Riverside County sheriff’s officials said in a news release. The woman said a man was trying to force his way into their home in the 100 block of South Torn Ranch Road and that her husband had armed himself with a handgun.

Sheriff’s officials said the husband, who is in his 40s, warned the man that he was armed and would shoot if he continued. The intruder did not heed the resident’s warning, breaking a window, and the homeowner opened fire, according to sheriff’s officials.
    The man was taken by ambulance to Inland Valley Medical Center in Wildomar, where he succumbed to his injuries.
    The homeowner is not expected to face any charges in the incident (since this is California we felt the need to say that).
    I've told this story here before, but when I was 14 I repelled a man with a knife from our home with my father's shot gun. Our parents were not home and he tried to break in with only myself and my brothers and sisters at home. Even if the police had been called they would never have made it there in time and we would have been at his mercy, whatever his intentions were. And I never had to fire the gun. I pumped a shell into the chamber and pointed it at him. As soon as he saw that he turned tail and ran.

And I don't think I'm some hero, I'm just glad my father kept guns in the house and taught us to respect them. I might not be here today if he hadn't.

conserv4ever is offline You Can't Handle the Truth! User Rank

Quote Originally Posted by Jax74 View Post
    I've told this story here before, but when I was 14 I repelled a man with a knife from our home with my father's shot gun. Our parents were not home and he tried to break in with only myself and my brothers and sisters at home. Even if the police had been called they would never have made it there in time and we would have been at his mercy, whatever his intentions were. And I never had to fire the gun. I pumped a shell into the chamber and pointed it at him. As soon as he saw that he turned tail and ran.

And I don't think I'm some hero, I'm just glad my father kept guns in the house and taught us to respect them. I might not be here today if he hadn't.
    There are TENS OF THOUSANDS of stories like yours (you know that, with your avatar). I'm just hoping these endless stories will trigger a little common sense in those not so tainted with the liberal philosophy. Some will never get that the mere presence of a gun SAVES LIVES.

I'll never understand how they can think when a VIOLENT ACT is seconds away, they can expect the police to magically appear at that instant. If your lucky, they'll be there 15 minutes after you get shot or stabbed or raped. If you're not so lucky, MAYBE your attacker will be found and do time for your murder.

Quote Originally Posted by conserv4ever View Post
    There are TENS OF THOUSANDS of stories like yours (you know that, with your avatar). I'm just hoping these endless stories will trigger a little common sense in those not so tainted with the liberal philosophy. Some will never get that the mere presence of a gun SAVES LIVES.

I'll never understand how they can think when a VIOLENT ACT is seconds away, they can expect the police to magically appear at that instant. If your lucky, they'll be there 15 minutes after you get shot or stabbed or raped. If you're not so lucky, MAYBE your attacker will be found and do time for your murder.
    I agree with you. Just the presence of a gun can prevent crime. Just like the presence of the police can often prevent a crime from being commited. But you can't carry a police officer on your hip, or keep one in a drawer in your bedroom. Most of the time they can't prevent a crime unless they just happen to already be somewhere a crime is about to take place.

If there had already been an officer in my home when the man broke in, I wouldn't have needed a gun. But, there was no officer already there. (Of course)