+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Avian Flu a hoax to sell more flu shots?

I just received info that the REAL reason behind this latest Avian Flu scare is to sell more Tamiflu shots. Yep, scare the public into buying their $100 flu shots. They ordered 20 million of 'em. Figure that math out. MLM scams, move over, the big boys are gonna show you how's it done.

Apparently, Rumsfeld was made chairman of Gilead in 1997, the company who developed the Tamiflu in the first place. They gave the rights to Roche ten years ago to manufacture Tamiflu. Rumsfeld is reported to have major portions of stocks in Gilead. If anyone read the history of Aspartame, it wasn't until Rumsfeld came into the picture that it was approved. If it wasn't for Rumsfeld, no Aspartame. I guess he is a man you can count on to get things done. Too bad it isn't in the best interests of the health of the American public. :rolleyes:

Re: Avian Flu a hoax to sell more flu shots?

No one wants to comment on this one? Ok who's up for some Kentucky fried Cancer? or good'ol chubby chicken? We can wash it all down with a Tamiflu shake. :p

People would respond if you had ANYTHING intelligent to say.

Tamiflu (Oseltamivir) is actually not that effective.. indeed, all anti-viral drugs have limited effectiveness. They're better than nothing, but usually the only effective way to fight off a virus is through antibodies. Specifically, these antibodies can be stimulated by using a vaccine.. however, they are very specific to individual types of virus, so it's not possible to create a vaccine for the much speculated "mutant bird flu", because it doesn't yet exist. So, because there's no vaccine, the only thing that governments can do is stockpile Oseltamivir/Tamiflu.

The danger is that people will "talk up" Tamiflu as a surefire cure for the mutant bird flu. It's not, indeed it's not anywhere close. There's a certain amount of hype around the product though, but I suspect it's the media talking it up. (Remember Cipro?)

Of course, only Roche is licensed to make Oseltamivir/Tamiflu. The product was developed by Gilead Sciences and Rumsfeld was chairman until 2001. He also held senior positions with Bechtel, Gulfstream and several other companies.

Despite all this, Oseltamivir does appear to be a useful product. Its limitations are down to the limitations of science, not the product.

And if there is a massive outbreak of mutant bird flu, governments will lift the patent restrictions in any case, and any pharma company will be able to make generic Oseltamivir without paying a fee.. in which case, Roche will lose out.

Quote Originally Posted by TruthHurts
    People would respond if you had ANYTHING intelligent to say.
    Anything intelligent to say? If intelligence is based on talking about politics all the time then you're right. I have nothing to say.
    Other than this.
    Why do so many people focus on what the politicans are doing instead of making them accountable for their actions ? Did we elect them to dictate whatever they feel like making us do? What a joke, we elect them so they can manipulate, take advantage of, and more, and we allow it. So while we waste time fighting with each other about who is politically correct, they are living it up on our hard earned cash and saying thank you for your support. Keep up the good work suckers, buy into the system.

If there are any good politicians left out there (the ones that fight for the people and protect them), they get weeded out before they reach the top anyway . Big business gets who they want in power to push through the laws that will most benefit them. Do you really think that any of these clowns we see running for power REALLY care for you? You may pick who says what you want to hear but it is all about the money they receive from big business. Who pays for their campaigns? big business. And if they get elected, they return the favor. I'm sure though you know all of this. This is just small little observations.

I am more concerned with educating people on how to protect themselves from these clowns that pretend to be protecting them (Avian Flu shots)
    Knowledge is power.
    Americans are already paying taxes right? So these flu shots should be free if there was no motivation for profits in there. Given the fact that all the lawsuits are stacking up against the pharmaceutical industry and they are seeing future losses, why not give 'em an injection of flu scare profits to even it out a little. Let's see, terrorist scares, anthrax scares, now avian flu scare , what will be the next scare ? Since you are the more intelligent one in this department, why don't you tell me the answer to that question?

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamoo
    Tamiflu (Oseltamivir) is actually not that effective.. indeed, all anti-viral drugs have limited effectiveness. They're better than nothing, but usually the only effective way to fight off a virus is through antibodies. Specifically, these antibodies can be stimulated by using a vaccine.. however, they are very specific to individual types of virus, so it's not possible to create a vaccine for the much speculated "mutant bird flu", because it doesn't yet exist. So, because there's no vaccine, the only thing that governments can do is stockpile Oseltamivir/Tamiflu.

The danger is that people will "talk up" Tamiflu as a surefire cure for the mutant bird flu. It's not, indeed it's not anywhere close. There's a certain amount of hype around the product though, but I suspect it's the media talking it up. (Remember Cipro?)

Of course, only Roche is licensed to make Oseltamivir/Tamiflu. The product was developed by Gilead Sciences and Rumsfeld was chairman until 2001. He also held senior positions with Bechtel, Gulfstream and several other companies.

Despite all this, Oseltamivir does appear to be a useful product. Its limitations are down to the limitations of science, not the product.

And if there is a massive outbreak of mutant bird flu, governments will lift the patent restrictions in any case, and any pharma company will be able to make generic Oseltamivir without paying a fee.. in which case, Roche will lose out.
    When some vaccines have formaldehyde or aluminum or my personal favorite from Merck (also maker of Vioxx) human aborted fetal tissue, I do not believe there is any good in them. That was referenced from the 1997 Physician's Desk Reference. I am sure it would still be in the newest one. None of my kids are immunized and a lot more parents are going that route. The scam on vaccines needs to brought out into the open.
    How about Thimerosal? For years they had ethyl mercury in the vaccines. Now only because they got caught did they start making them without thimerosal. But did they throw all the bad ones away? No, they want to use them up first. So if you are a concerned person about mercury being in the vaccines, just avoid them altogether, because they are all mixed.

Given the truth coming out about all of the cover ups and lies this industry and government have been keeping from us, I wouldn't trust a word they said regarding anymore vaccines. I believe they should be scrapped. One of the biggest scams of all times is vaccines.

Hey Rawb,

Your post IS an intelligent post, I think. Your post makes sense to me- I wouldn't doubt it one bit.

Aspartame does horrendous things to people- some people don't seem bothered by it, but some people have many health challenges and don't realize the cause. Others will have health challenges down the road from it.

Another example is olestra- less adverse effects, but still horrendous. I do not know if it is still used as a fat substitute in chips, etc. Here is a link to some articles on this substance the FDA should of never approved:

http://www.cspinet.org/olestra/

Knowledge IS power!!!

Thanks for that link boone. Another piece of truth to add in an ongoing war against the injustices of government and big business.

You are welcome, no problem. And you are correct, once again!

Folks, here is a tidbit for you. A guy I know who has done 20-30 years of research into this whole "health" thing. I was talking to him tonight. Get this;
    1 teaspoon of sugar will lower your immune system for 5 hours.
    1 can of pop will lower your immune system for 1 week !!!!!
    Now take a person like me who was scarfing down the freakin' junk food like mad, no wonder I was getting sick all the time. Avoid the sugar and substitute other things to sweeten instead. AND NOT ARTIFICIAL SWEETNERS... unless you have a death wish :cool:

umdkook Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rawb
    Folks, here is a tidbit for you. A guy I know who has done 20-30 years of research into this whole "health" thing. I was talking to him tonight. Get this;
    1 teaspoon of sugar will lower your immune system for 5 hours.
    1 can of pop will lower your immune system for 1 week !!!!!
    Now take a person like me who was scarfing down the freakin' junk food like mad, no wonder I was getting sick all the time. Avoid the sugar and substitute other things to sweeten instead. AND NOT ARTIFICIAL SWEETNERS... unless you have a death wish :cool:
    that statement really depends on how much sugar is in a teaspoon.....1 gram??? 5 grams??? 20 grams???
    health experts say 4 grams are in a teaspoon.
    a can of soda has about 25-40 grams of sugar, assuming its not diet obviosuly.
    if there are 4 grams in a teaspoon, then one can with 40 grams of sugar would be (10 x 5) 50 hours....only 2 days and two hours, well short of a week.

unless there is some sort of snowball affect that makes each teaspoon affect the immune system exponentially, that person was exaggerating for sure!!!

mercola.com has some information on this as well. whether its a hoax or not i don't know, but cheney is raking in the dough on this

I like Dr. Mercola.

I've also become a big fan of fmnn.com (free market news network). They cover many topics you may never even think of. They've posted a few articles about the avian flu issue. Here's the latest one:

AVIAN FLU VOICES OF REASON

Saturday, November 05, 2005 - FreeMarketNews.com

A disaster in the making! Maybe not? The debate over the likelihood of the avian flu pandemic, destroying (human) life as we know it, continues. The latest to speak out is a Florida veterinarian, and he says the reports of the demise of humanity are greatly exaggerated. Gary Butcher, has been an extension veterinarian at the University of Florida's College of Veterinary Medicine since 1988. According to a Gainesville Sun story, he was trained as a veterinarian specializing in avian diseases, and has a Ph.D. in poultry virology. He's spent the last several months either fielding phone calls and e-mails about avian flu, or traveling the world "reassuring alarmed government officials and industry groups" and dispelling the myths about avian influenza.

Butcher acknowledges the widespread effects of this disease among bird populations, but is quick to note that as yet, no one has been proven to have given avian influenza to someone else. "The emphasis of all my work has changed to dealing with this madness," Butcher is quoted as saying in the article. "Realistically, avian influenza is not a threat to people, but everywhere you go, it has turned into a circus." The story also cites Dr. Marc Siegel, a practicing internist and associate professor of medicine at the New York University School of Medicine, as one physician not buying into the scare scenario. "If anything is contagious right now, it's judgment clouded by fear," Siegel is quoted as saying, noting that he is far more concerned about the "fear epidemic" than with the likelihood of a true flu pandemic.

Meanwhile, Butcher dismisses the remote likelihood of bird flu being passed to sapient populations, noting that "For it to become dangerous to humans, it has to go through a pretty significant genetic change. If you put this in perspective, it's not going to happen." However, he does not discount the possibility of some disease affecting widespread human populations: "While we are putting all our attention on this avian influenza," he predicts, "another virus is going to come up and bite us in the bottom."

Vaccines actually *are* an effective and relatively low cost way of controlling disease. They are only a preventative measure though, and they need to be matched up with the particular virus. The problem with "mutant avian flu" is that it doesn't exist yet, so no vaccine can be made. Believe me.. if there *was* a mutant avian flu epidemic and you were in a susceptible demographic, then you'd want the shot.

Tamiflu isn't a vaccine though, it's an antiviral drug that attempts to *treat* flu. It's a completely different type of drug, and only has a limited effectiveness. It is still better than nothing, however.

Prevention is better than cure, and wide scale vaccination is the proven way of controlling the spread of infectious disease. As with any medication, there's always a risk of an adverse reaction, but it's all a question of balance. And if there is a wide-scale public health emergency, then governments would just requistion the medicines that they needed, and pharma companies would not make big bucks.

Sure.. I think Tamiflu is over-hyped and perhaps dangerously so. But avian flu isn't an excuse to sell more vaccine.. because there *is* no vaccine for "mutuant avian flu", simply because it doesn't exist. Yet.

Bush Warns U.S. 'Likely to Face' Flu Pandemic
    President Seeks $1.2 Billion for Vaccine in United States
    By LAURAN NEERGAARD, AP

WASHINGTON (Nov. 1) -- President Bush outlined a $7.1 billion strategy Tuesday to prepare for the danger of a pandemic influenza outbreak, saying he wanted to stockpile enough vaccine to protect 20 million Americans against the current strain of bird flu as a first wave of protection.

--SNIP--

Bush outlined a strategy that would cost $7.1 billion including:

$1.2 billion for the government to buy enough doses of the vaccine against the current strain of bird flu to protect 20 million Americans; the administration wants to have sufficient vaccine for front-line emergency personnel and at-risk populations, including military personnel;

$1 billion to stockpile more anti-viral drugs that lessen the severity of the flu symptoms;

$2.8 billion to speed the development of vaccines as new strains emerge, a process that now takes months. The goal is to have the manufacturing capability by 2010 to brew enough vaccine for every American within six months' of a pandemic's start. ?!?!?

$583 million for states and local governments to prepare emergency plans to respond to an outbreak.

--SNIP--

The principal goal of Bush's plan, Health and Human Services Secretary Michael Leavitt said, "is the capacity for every American to have a vaccine in the case of a pandemic, no matter what the virus is."

"There is no reason to believe that in the next day or two or week or month that that's going to occur," Leavitt said on CBS's "The Early Show." But he added that "we do need to be ready in case it begins to mutate into a human transmissible disease."
    So let's go ahead and spend $7.1 BILLION dollars on a plan to thwart something that provides "no reason to believe that in the next day or two or week or month that that's going to occur". I would think, in my very humble opinion, it would be a better expenditure of energy and money to concentrate on preventing these types of viruses from becoming a problem, rather than throw your hands up and let the problem develop, then treat it afterwards. I've heard Japan is taking steps by killing a bunch of chickens, but I'm sure there are more things that can be done at the source of the potential problem. Instead what we have, is a lot of money being thrown at companies to produce vaccines that will admittedly be only partially effective, and it is a fact that certain high powered officials have a stake in these companies. Sure it would be good for this country to be prepared for a pandemic flu outbreak, but this seems highly questionable to me, and it doesn't seem that much thought was put into this "strategy". I really don't think their #1 priority is keeping all of us good citizens healthy.
    Last edited by cattysmaq; 11-07-2005 at 01:52 AM.

One thing I would like to add is; why is it that whenever there is a flu shot available and people line up to take it, the ones that get sick are the ones who received the flu shots? Interesting... I never get the flu shots and I don't get the flus going around. Our kids have never been vaccinated or immunized and they don't get the sicknesses either. And we are always around the ones that do get sick..

I think we are forgetting about the mercury as well? There are many harmful ingredients in vaccines. Heavy metals, formaldehyde, human aborted fetal tissue, lots of other goodies. When the EPA states that humans are to have no contact with mercury as it is not safe at all, why would it be in vaccines? I haven't looked up, if it is even available, the ingredients of the Tamiflu vaccine. Maybe I should or if anyone has it readily available...

We just sheepishly take whatever anyone says is effective without even checking things out for ourselves. At $100 a pop, I would want to know. My health is worth more than that.

Interesting as someone above pointed out, the problem isn't even here yet and they are selling vaccines. How do you treat it if the problem isn't even here? I guess they are trying to make them preventative now? Another post pointed out as well, instead of getting rid of the problem BEFORE it gets here, they are just waiting for it to arrive and deal with it then. Hurricane Katrina showed the effects of that strategy. Why wait until the Avain flu hits ? Moneymoneymoneymoneymoney$$$$$$$$$ it's all about the money.