+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

"Land Of The Free" World's Largest Prison State

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. prison population, already the largest in the world, grew by 1.9 percent in 2004, leaving federal jails at 40 percent over capacity, according to Justice Department figures released on Sunday.

Inmates in federal, state, local and other prisons totaled nearly 2.3 million at the end of last year, the government said. The 1.9 percent increase was lower than the average annual growth rate of 3.2 percent during the last decade.

According to the International Center for Prison Studies at King's College in London, there are more people behind bars in the United States than in any other country.

http://today.reuters.com/news/newsAr...archived=False

In America, The Real Criminals Write The Laws
    Last edited by dchristie; 10-25-2005 at 03:43 PM.

Re: "Land Of The Free" World's Largest Prison State

Interesting, the only place where the south seems to rise again is in incarceration rates. Your photo of the Iraqie prisoner is not in keeping with the article dchristie. It comes under a different heading.

Lady Mod

Lenny Loosejocks Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sojustask
    Interesting, the only place where the south seems to rise again is in incarceration rates. Your photo of the Iraqie prisoner is not in keeping with the article dchristie. It comes under a different heading.

Lady Mod
    Is that an Iraqi prisoner??

I thought it was dchristie having a Nana-nap!

Quote Originally Posted by dchristie
    So the ones who are incarcerated are innocent??

:D

Lady Mod

That's not an Iraqi prisoner. That's John Walker Lindh..As American as Freedom Fries.
    Last edited by dchristie; 10-25-2005 at 04:54 PM.

Lenny Loosejocks Guest

That's not an Iraqi prisoner. That's John Walker Lindh..As American as Freedom Fries.
    As American as Osama Bin Laden!

Rolled over like a lifers' b!tch!

Dickhead!

Excuse me, my mistake.

But he chose a heavy duty group to align himself with, did he not? I do not fault him, it's just that if he did error like he says, he did it in a big way.

http://www.cnn.com/CNN/Programs/peop...r/profile.html

Lady Mod

Excuse me, my mistake.

But he chose a heavy duty group to align himself with, did he not? I do not fault him, it's just that if he did error like he says, he did it in a big way.

http://www.cnn.com/CNN/Programs/peop...r/profile.html

Lady Mod
    Is this thread about John Lindh? Remember, under the tenents of our Bill Of Rights, when that photograph was taken he was presumed innocent.
    Last edited by dchristie; 10-25-2005 at 05:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny Loosejocks

Rolled over like a lifers' b!tch!
    Well, at least there's something you're an authority on.

Is this thread about John Lindh? Remember, under the tenents of our Bill Of Rights, when that photograph was taken he was presumed innocent.

I wasn't knocking what you told me dchristie, nor do I think the treatment was fair, in my opinion, based on what I know, as I do not know the circumstances surrounding that picture. I can't even find the picture on the net or the story behind it.

I thought it was an Iraqie pic, you corrected my error in that assumption, I thank you for that correction. The picture almost makes sense now.

Namaste'

Lady Mod

I wasn't knocking what you told me dchristie, nor do I think the treatment was fair, in my opinion, based on what I know, as I do not know the circumstances surrounding that picture. I can't even find the picture on the net or the story behind it.

I thought it was an Iraqie pic, you corrected my error in that assumption, I thank you for that correction. The picture almost makes sense now.

Namaste'

Lady Mod
    I'm sure Lindh knew as little about the actual mechanics of the American "Justice" System as do most Americans.

tommywho70x Guest

Did you know that the only working railroad left in America is the municipal court system?

I have seen stats that say as many as 95% percent of indictments are disposed by plea bargains in some venues and that as many as 75% of prisoners in some jails are convicted of non-violent, victimless (other than themselves) drug offenses and often jails will get clogged with parking and moving violation traffic scofflaws.

I was extradited from LA to Santa Barbara twice for failing to pay a speeding ticket before the judge dismissed it for time served. While I was in SB County Jail, they brought in a guy who had just had a mild coronary who said that marshalls walked into the ICU and had him disconnected from everything so they could perform 'due diligence' and extradite him to San Diego to answer a JAYWALKING TICKET.

12. 10-26-2005, 09:47 AM

I don't think forgive and forget(the leftist answer for many things and advocated by one of T70's black women of note)is the answer...

Getting Away With Murder
    ...And Other Violence

The evidence shows shortening the jail terms of violent criminals has been disastrous. Convicts who have been caught and released by an ineffective justice system are the single gravest threat to the lives and property of Americans.

Forty-three percent of all felons released early are rearrested for another felony within 3 years.

Another 10 percent disappear after failing to report to their probation officers.

Offenders on parole, probation or pretrial release commit nearly 700,000 additional violent crimes each year, according to the FBI.
    As things now stand, crime is not a particularly risky activity.

Only 45 percent of all violent crimes, and only 18 percent of property crimes, are now cleared by arrest.

Only one person out of every five arrested for a violent felony is subsequently convicted and then sentenced to at least a year in prison.

Only 49 percent of those arrested for homicide serve a term of one year or more, and for rapists the figure is 29 percent.
    Criminals who are incarcerated typically spend just over two years in confinement -- serving only one-third of their sentences on average.

Four out of every five state prison inmates are repeat offenders. Almost half of them are in the midst of at least their fourth sentence.

A study released in 1994 by the American Legislative Exchange Council shows that a strict incarceration policy pays off for society.

The study found that in the 10 states with the biggest increase in incarceration rates since 1980, violent crime rates fell 8 percent.

In the ten states with the smallest increase in incarceration, violent crime increased 51 percent.
    And despite anti-incarceration sentiment, the lockup practice is still low:

The total number of criminals locked up per violent crime committed is currently one-third lower than it was in 1960.

Only 8 new convicts were put behind bars in 1993 for every 100 violent crimes carried out during the year.
    Policy analysts who have studied these figures are left with one response -- to keep predators away from society, build more prisons.

Source: Karl Zinsmeister (The American Enterprise), "Crimebusting Tips for Clinton," Washington Times, February 1, 1996.

http://www.ncpa.org/pi/crime/pdcrm/pdcrm1.html

tommywho70x Guest

what's the matter pwrone, haven't you got the nerve to let loose with a scathing critique of Dr. Davis? pecking here and there the best you can do?

probably a wise choice -- there are probably at least 5 people on this forum who would tear your arguments against her to shreds.

umdkook Guest

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. prison population, already the largest in the world, grew by 1.9 percent in 2004, leaving federal jails at 40 percent over capacity, according to Justice Department figures released on Sunday.

Inmates in federal, state, local and other prisons totaled nearly 2.3 million at the end of last year, the government said. The 1.9 percent increase was lower than the average annual growth rate of 3.2 percent during the last decade.

According to the International Center for Prison Studies at King's College in London, there are more people behind bars in the United States than in any other country.

http://today.reuters.com/news/newsAr...archived=False

I find this very hard to beleive, that the US prison population is the highest in the world (higher than China). I see you attached the article that cites this, so i guess it is based on published Chinese stats given by its government, which i dont think are true.

China has the same 300 million people the US has, with ANOTHER 1 BILLION on top of that to make 1.3 billion people. The US has roughly .8% of total populaiton incarceration rate. At China's posted jailed total, they would have only .08%.....in a communist country! sounds unreal to me.
    other countries posted rates range from .6-.3%, all of a sudden China seems like a safe place to live!

Quote Originally Posted by umdkook
    I find this very hard to beleive, that the US prison population is the highest in the world (higher than China). I see you attached the article that cites this, so i guess it is based on published Chinese stats given by its government, which i dont think are true.

China has the same 300 million people the US has, with ANOTHER 1 BILLION on top of that to make 1.3 billion people. The US has roughly .8% of total populaiton incarceration rate. At China's posted jailed total, they would have only .08%.....in a communist country! sounds unreal to me.
    other countries posted rates range from .6-.3%, all of a sudden China seems like a safe place to live!

Quote Originally Posted by tommywho70x
    what's the matter pwrone, haven't you got the nerve to let loose with a scathing critique of Dr. Davis? pecking here and there the best you can do?

probably a wise choice -- there are probably at least 5 people on this forum who would tear your arguments against her to shreds.

T...just from reading about her projects and public policy positions, it is easy to determine that she is a kook. I felt that criticizing her would be too easy to do and might seem kinda mean--in the way that picking on the handicapped is mean.