+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

IT'S COOL TO BE GAY...or is it?

High school hosts 'National Coming Out'

Parents protest campus events, including 'gay' film festival

A Maryland high school is observing "National Coming Out Week" with events organized by the campus Gay/Straight Alliance, prompting protests from parents.
    The activities at Pikesville High School in Pikesville, Md., near Baltimore – all approved by school officials – include pink and rainbow shirt day and a homosexual film festival, according to local WJZ-TV.

http://www.bglad.com/news/results.ph...e&language=any

'Gay' is the new 'straight'

Re: IT'S COOL TO BE GAY...or is it?

Quote Originally Posted by pwrone
    High school hosts 'National Coming Out'

Parents protest campus events, including 'gay' film festival

A Maryland high school is observing "National Coming Out Week" with events organized by the campus Gay/Straight Alliance, prompting protests from parents.
    The activities at Pikesville High School in Pikesville, Md., near Baltimore – all approved by school officials – include pink and rainbow shirt day and a homosexual film festival, according to local WJZ-TV.

http://www.bglad.com/news/results.ph...e&language=any

'Gay' is the new 'straight'
    So is there a question here pwrone?

Well...what is wrong with this picture? National coming out week...celebrated in high school. If you gotta ask, ya don't get it.

4. 10-25-2005, 07:03 AM

tommywho70x Guest

don't be so negative all the time, dude!

look at the bright side -- the homosexual population can only increase through recruitment; nobody has figured out a way for them to reproduce like bunnies.

hell, let them start in kindergarten and look at it as a positive means of population control.

tweet! yo, dchristie, what's this?

did Raider PM you that picture and if so why are you using it to disrupt pwrone's thread?

if not, well, we'll probably not be seeing you for a few days, if at all.
    Last edited by tommywho70x; 10-25-2005 at 07:09 AM.

Hi Pwrone,

I think that coming out day is a good thing. My reason is, teenagers, get treated horribly if they are perceived as gay, or come out as gay. We live in a society that has not learned to treat differences with any sort of grace, and acceptance. As long people are not hurting each other, they should be allowed to live their lives, and enjoy being who they are. Young people are harassed, beaten up, and ostracized because of their sexual orientation.

If a High school is trying to say, "Hey, these kids are just as important, and need acceptance and understanding. And we are here to give it to them." I think that is a good sign. So MAYBE we will have no more Matthew Shepards, to grieve over, or be ashamed about, in the future.

DeeDee1965

tommywho70x Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DeeDee1965
    Hi Pwrone,

I think that coming out day is a good thing. My reason is, teenagers, get treated horribly if they are perceived as gay, or come out as gay. We live in a society that has not learned to treat differences with any sort of grace, and acceptance. As long people are not hurting each other, they should be allowed to live their lives, and enjoy being who they are. Young people are harassed, beaten up, and ostracized because of their sexual orientation.

If a High school is trying to say, "Hey, these kids are just as important, and need acceptance and understanding. And we are here to give it to them." I think that is a good sign. So MAYBE we will have no more Matthew Shepards, to grieve over, or be ashamed about, in the future.

DeeDee1965
    Now that somebody has added a level-headed statement, I can take my tongue out of my cheek and agree strongly with DeeDee.

Homosexuality is neither a crime or a mental illness. It is a choice that people make and should not be discriminated against in any way -- especially not to the point of constitutional amendments banning homosexual marriages like the state of Texas will begin voting on this week.

It would seem that for a High School-level Gay/Straight alliance to even exist is a good thing -- both groups can not only learn to relate to each other without the disgraceful verbal and physical violence that occurs in many communities, but both groups have a level playing field to work from to recruit the undecided into their chosen lifestyles.

I believe you can create just as much resentment by shoving it down someone's throat...so to speak. This is a WEEK dedicated to the celebration of gay...this is a great example of p.c. activism--no perspective. It sets up anyone who doesn't like it as a bigot--I bet this idea did not originate with a gay person...in fact, I GUARANTEE it didn't. It came from someone who thinks they are better than all of us...more civilized, more refined, kinder, more understanding. Don't mention your objection to this or they will tear out your eyes.

I don't understand your other post , T70. Why don't we not worry about policing our threads too much...we have a lot of varying personalities here that shouldn't be stifled. If we are , in fact, different than other forums then we should celebrate that fact by not micro-managing it...in fact, maybe a week-long celebration of our essential 'differences' might not be a bad idea, and we should be able to get some state money for it.
    Last edited by pwrone; 10-25-2005 at 07:31 AM.

tommywho70x Guest

I believe you can create just as much resentment by shoving it down someone's throat...so to speak. This is a WEEK dedicated to the celebration of gay...this is a great example of p.c. activism--no perspective. It sets up anyone who doesn't like it as a bigot--I bet this idea did not originate with a gay person...in fact, I GUARANTEE it didn't. It came from someone who thinks they are better than all of us...more civilized, more refined, kinder, more understanding. Don't mention your objection to this or they will tear out your eyes.

I don't understand your other post , T70. Why don't we not worry about policing our threads too much...we have a lot of varying personalities here that shouldn't be stifled. If we are , in fact, different than other forums then we should celebrate that fact by not micro-managing it...in fact, maybe a week-long celebration of our essential 'differences' might not be a bad idea, and we should be able to get some state money for it.
    possibly, but doubtful.

if you're referring to the conversation that me and lenny were having, that's what we were saying; that any policing or guiding of the threads should be up to the person who started the thread.

it was their brain fart in the first place and they should be the ones with the first and last say about what anybody else adds to it and the moderator should be following their cues about who is disrupting the desired flow of the discussion and what to do about it.

in the 'good old days' of 'Internet Text' messaging, when it first became possible for me to compose and send you a 'chunk' or 'blockquote' of up to 256 characters in one 'send', the main rule of conduct was

Thou shalt censor none other than thine own self

That is what i recommend all of us scamsters do and these forums will grow because we will be the BEST OF THE WEB.

Hi Pwrone,

Maybe a week is too much. I thought I saw a "coming out day." Sorry.

So since forcing anything, down anyone's throat is not right. How do you think we should raise awareness of the lives of young gays and lesbians in our schools?

DeeDee1965

state money!?well i say either kill the whole tax thing or shut up!!half measures are just politics of who is recieving!!but as to celebrating our diffs......i like it!!as long as it is fair!!but of course, real life aint fair so why should anything else be!?real life is hell!?which is why we're all tryin ta avoid it!?pity the fool that has ta face reality on the're own!!like the scene in the movie "interview with the vampire" stage right!!the audience of morons(complacenet conformists) watches the innocent damsel get "bitten"!!is this your fav vampire movie POO!?! :eek: ;) :rolleyes:

I was unable to locate the story through the provided link so I'll just ask... Is/Was participation in the event mandatory?

cheers,
    Paul

lol, You guys just cant stop creating gay threads it seems :D

I hope lady mod will not be to quick this time to put a lock on this thread as i am always interested in the subject and people's point of view from America. and this time i can handle the heat.

What keeps fascinating me is that even the people who are not really against this coming out week like tommy keep talking about recruitment and making a choice. i know that discussion is just a whole new can of worms but i just cant believe so many US civilians still talk about beeing gay as some chosen lifestyle. Come on, if beeing gay was really a choice i wouldnt be that suicidal to make it. The only thing i choose is to not make a secret of it. resulting mostly in positive reactions and untill now 2 blue eyes. if t doesnt get worse then that i can live with it.

as far as the coming out week... i dont like such initiatives. the rainbow or pink "partr's" are mostly only working against integration. I do like to see that beeing gay is beeing discussed at schools but not in a way thats shocking or to provocade.I do volenteer work for a dutch organization and give education at schools, and lead talking groups for young gays and lesbians who have troubles at home, mostly with their parents. that i find far more effective to do then organize rainbow or coming out weeks.

it still isnt really cool to be gay on high shool... i wish it was :cool:

To say Homosexuality is not a mental illness brings up a question. If you believe in God then homosexuality is a sin as well as a mental illness, unless of course you overlook those parts of the Bible you don't agree with. If you don't believe in God then homosexuality is certainly a mental illness, as it has no part in nature. If you believe in survival of the fittest then homosexuals are at the unfit end of evolution, a freak of nature.

So my question is this, how do you figure Homosexuality is not a mental illness?

No flames please, just a thought out answer.

Well, personally, if allowing teens and adults to be gay and not harrassed is a problem then I guess in all fairness we better eliminate Christmas, Hannukah, Mardi-Gras, legal prostitution, marriage, homecoming, school sports, halloween, valentines day, etc... because ALL these things get SHOVED down people's throats all the time.

By the way pwrone, we had one of these threads before. It got very out of hand, death threats being made, people being hurt. So understand that, if it happens on this thread I will have to shut it down. I just wanted to give you a "heads up" in advance so it wouldn't catch you off guard and hurt your feelings if I or Subjunk feel it necessary. The only way I'll allow this thread to remain is if people remain civil in their responses. No name calling, no gay bashing (one can disagree without bashing) and NO MORE PICTURES. :) Yes, I deleted dchristies post. And I will delete any others that are offensive.

I have gay friends who read these threads, they are very open minded and understanding of heterosexual's fears of the unknown. They will be my sounding boards in this matter.

Lady Mod

Well...what is wrong with this picture? National coming out week...celebrated in high school. If you gotta ask, ya don't get it.
    ok.......first impressions!?........why did you ask!?:eek: :p :rolleyes:

Quote Originally Posted by Worried_in_the_USA
    To say Homosexuality is not a mental illness brings up a question. If you believe in God then homosexuality is a sin as well as a mental illness, unless of course you overlook those parts of the Bible you don't agree with. If you don't believe in God then homosexuality is certainly a mental illness, as it has no part in nature. If you believe in survival of the fittest then homosexuals are at the unfit end of evolution, a freak of nature.

So my question is this, how do you figure Homosexuality is not a mental illness?

No flames please, just a thought out answer.
    Is depression a mental illness? Yes, it is classified as a mental illness. Some think believing in God is a mental illness. There are animals (dogs for instance, primates is another) who will have sex with members of the same sex. Dolphins have been noted quite often to have homosexual relationships as well as other animals. It's not that unheard of. They are not shunned by members of their own species either. Only in the human race, where religion controls just about every aspect of our lives is it considered unnatural. Consider this, there is no proof that the bible was the inspired word of God, the book was written by men. There is no proof that these men weren't mentally ill either. It's all subjective.

http://www.int.iol.co.za/index.php?s...7104187101I534
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...13562?v=glance
    http://community-2.webtv.net/headbands/GAYANIMALS/
    http://www.subversions.com/french/pa...e/animals.html
    http://www.paloaltoonline.com/weekly...lution05.shtml

Gays don't really want the spotlight on them for being gay, they just want to be accepted as human beings. If they were just accepted instead of villified, there would be no need for "coming out" weeks at schools.

Namaste'

Lady Mod