+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Wiccans Beat Christians

The town of Great Falls plans to comply with an order to pay the lawyer of a Wiccan priestess who successfully sued the town over mentioning Jesus Christ’s name in council prayers.
    The town will not appeal a court order to pay Darla Wynne’s lawyer, Herbert Buhl, about $53,000. But town attorney Michael Hemlepp said officials aren’t sure where they’ll get the money.
    Hemlepp said the town can’t simply afford to write a check. The town’s annual budget is $870,000.
    Buhl said he’s given the town an extension to pay without a specific deadline. But he wants his money.

http://www.wistv.com/Global/story.as...04933&nav=0RaP

Gettin' slippery around here.....

Re: Wiccans Beat Christians

Quote Originally Posted by pwrone
    The town of Great Falls plans to comply with an order to pay the lawyer of a Wiccan priestess who successfully sued the town over mentioning Jesus Christ’s name in council prayers.
    The town will not appeal a court order to pay Darla Wynne’s lawyer, Herbert Buhl, about $53,000. But town attorney Michael Hemlepp said officials aren’t sure where they’ll get the money.
    Hemlepp said the town can’t simply afford to write a check. The town’s annual budget is $870,000.
    Buhl said he’s given the town an extension to pay without a specific deadline. But he wants his money.

http://www.wistv.com/Global/story.as...04933&nav=0RaP

Gettin' slippery around here.....
    That's why there is "Seperation of church and state" and if the state and town officials would follow the LAW, these things wouldn't happen.

If they are going to remove prayers from schools, then they must also remove it from town meetings. Period.

Lady Mod

Quote Originally Posted by sojustask
    That's why there is "Seperation of church and state" and if the state and town officials would follow the LAW, these things wouldn't happen.

If they are going to remove prayers from schools, then they must also remove it from town meetings. Period.

Lady Mod

So...you see this as a good thing?

tommywho70x Guest

good or bad isn't the question -- upholding the law is the question.

and what's good for the goose is good for the gander.

you do understand that Wicca is a recognized religion, yes?

don't get me too wrong here either, please, but as a genuine 'Hebrew Priest', i have been invited to attend and participate in rituals and ceremony of many different religions and frankly from my experience, the Wiccans are no more or less wierd than 'Four Square' Christian 'Holy-rollers'.

Their 'Sabbath' ritual is actually a lovely little ceremony that if one attended they would recognize immediately that there is nothing evil or Satanic about it (the 'mainstream' Wiccans that is; i'm sure there are cults on the fringe that are over the edge like what Ira Levin wrote about in Rosemary's Baby).

Hi Pwrone,

I have to say I agree with Lady Mod. But I also have a bad feeling about the case, the ruling and the judgment.

I am the first one to say "follow the law." However, prudence, care, and method is called for, as well. There is a separation between church and state, yes, but a Wiccan priestess sues the town council to keep them from using Jesus in their prayers.

~Does she ONLY want them to stop saying Jesus, or stop praying all together?
    ~Would she have a problem if they said, " Our Earth Mother" instead?
    ~What did the Wiccan's gain and what did the town gain?

Those are some of my concerns about this, seeming arbitrary case and decision. I do not know, it just does not sound like we are getting the whole story. There is something missing.

DeeDee1965

So...what would not qualify as a religion? Dog worship? The fact that mentioning the name of Christ in public is worthy of financial punishment is evidence, to me, that the 'end of the world is nigh' theory on another thread has some grip.

tommywho70x Guest

the thing that seems most out of kilter here is the lawyer's fee.

Quote Originally Posted by DeeDee1965
    Hi Pwrone,

I have to say I agree with Lady Mod. But I also have a bad feeling about the case, the ruling and the judgment.

I am the first one to say "follow the law." However, prudence, care, and method is called for, as well. There is a separation between church and state, yes, but a Wiccan priestess sues the town council to keep them from using Jesus in their prayers.

~Does she ONLY want them to stop saying Jesus, or stop praying all together?
    ~Would she have a problem if they said, " Our Earth Mother" instead?
    ~What did the Wiccan's gain and what did the town gain?

Those are some of my concerns about this, seeming arbitrary case and decision. I do not know, it just does not sound like we are getting the whole story. There is something missing.

DeeDee1965

try reading between the lines.the answer is in the question.first..why feel bad!?does jesus feel bad!?do they all just want attention!?you too!?.........me too!?and why do all you people constantly capitalize dietys or whatever!?fear!?what is the definition of terrorism!?instilling fear!?demanding compliance!?to the death!?just askin!! :D ;) :rolleyes:

Lenny Loosejocks Guest

Quote Originally Posted by lexx
    and why do all you people constantly capitalize dietys or whatever!?fear!?what is the definition of terrorism!?instilling fear!?demanding compliance!?to the death!?just askin!! :D ;) :rolleyes:
    Do you mean like as in Lady Mod and Jesus and God?

Personally, I always use capitals when I write someones' name, I thought it was the done thing, lexx!!

Who is Our Earth Mother and What's a Wiccan?

:D

Last edited by Lenny Loosejocks; 10-25-2005 at 12:08 PM. Reason: It's Our Earth Mother, dummy!

So...what would not qualify as a religion? Dog worship? The fact that mentioning the name of Christ in public is worthy of financial punishment is evidence, to me, that the 'end of the world is nigh' theory on another thread has some grip.
    end of what world!?the world of fear and police states!?and which side are YOU on!?if god is the answer and the christ is his word made flesh then what is the reliance on laws all about!?if he is the key to eternal life then where are his disciples and where is their influence!?and where do you stand on this issue anyway!?are you hiding behind the law!?i mean just like the so called good deed of freeing iraq requires sacrifice so does the good work of god thru christ!right!?and the catch is i guess,who is gonna go first!?cause as we all know........beechheads are hell!!guess i''ll hang back and just SOUND IMPORTANT!!wadda ya think!?smart move!?it's all about bein smart!?:p :D :rolleyes:

funny you should mention that..........ya know dog spelled backwords is .........so just in case ya might say!?and besides..a mans best freind!?........what!/ya some kinda nonfeelin harda ss or somethin!?(like me!?)OOPS!! i forgot......the tinman wished for a heart!!always liked that movie!!nothing is hidden!!only to those who wont look!!:D :D :rolleyes:
    Last edited by lexx; 10-25-2005 at 12:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny Loosejocks
    Do you mean like as in Lady Mod and Jesus and God?

Personally, I always use capitals when I write someones' name, I thought it was the done thing, lexx!!

Who is Our Earth Mother and What's a Wiccan?

:D

Earth mother is a native american belief though that is also shared by other recognized religions. Mother Earth, Father Sky.

Wiccan is another religious belief. The link leads to an overview of what Wicca is. http://www.religioustolerance.org/wic_intr.htm

Namaste'

Lady Mod

I see it as a balance being made.

Pwrone, I never see these kinds of lawsuits as a "good thing" mainly because it pits one religion against another and ceases to be about the law and the violation thereof and in turn becomes about christianity vs. everyone else.

Christians do not own this country, it was not set up for one religion to dominate over another or control the government as it was in europe. Which is why there was a separation made and why we do not have kings and queens here. So, if something is a "government controlled" entity, such as public school, such as city councils, such as district and federal courts there should be no public displays of christian symbolism. The men and women who work within the buildings can be whatever religious orientation they choose and should be. If one can only be a christian as long as the 10 commandments are displayed or public officials recite christian prayers, then there is something seriously wrong with their private worship and practice of their own beliefs. IMO.

And we are so hypocritical to our children. Come on, what does it say to the next generation when we remove public prayer out of the schools and tell them it's offensive to others and then as adults we do it in our own public meetings? No wonder our youth don't take us seriously, we won't even follow our own rules.

Namaste'

Lady Mod

Any Wiccan "victory" on this earth is going to be very micro in size one day, when their "white magic" beliefs have to be accounted for. They will in no way be able to justify them. (As a side-bar, the few Wiccans I happened to come across in this life tried to cast spells and had pentagram-shaped candle set-ups, stuff like that- one told me prior to disclosing that he is Wiccan, that he is an athiest- I always could tell before he diclosed these "little bits" of info. that something wasn't right with him...now you tell me that isn't evil, a counter-balance to all that is good.) It is down-right scary...but I have Our Father in Heaven protecting me from such hooey. He has helped me many times- divine intervention- on many things I have asked, and in situations where I could of been knocked through a loop w/o His help.

One day, (and not far off, as we are all little blips on the time-line), we will all stand in front of our Maker, and He will be the final judge.

Quote Originally Posted by boone
    Any Wiccan "victory" on this earth is going to be very micro in size one day, when their "white magic" beliefs have to be accounted for. They will in no way be able to justify them. (As a side-bar, the few Wiccans I happened to come across in this life tried to cast spells and had pentagram-shaped candle set-ups, stuff like that- one told me prior to disclosing that he is Wiccan, that he is an athiest- I always could tell before he diclosed these "little bits" of info. that something wasn't right with him...now you tell me that isn't evil, a counter-balance to all that is good.) It is down-right scary...but I have Our Father in Heaven protecting me from such hooey. He has helped me many times- divine intervention- on many things I have asked, and in situations where I could of been knocked through a loop w/o His help.

One day, (and not far off, as we are all little blips on the time-line), we will all stand in front of our Maker, and He will be the final judge.
    See? Your statements are a prime example of what I was referring to in my post.

Quote Originally Posted by sojustask
    ... it pits one religion against another and ceases to be about the law and the violation thereof and in turn becomes about christianity vs. everyone else.
    It's not about religion, it's about the law. Thanks for making my point.

Quote Originally Posted by tommywho70x
    the thing that seems most out of kilter here is the lawyer's fee.
    The big fees assure the case is heard on the federal levels and eventually the Supreme Court when and if it's appealed. This is an attempt to become a landmark case by which all others similar to it will be judged. Otherwise, it just remains a state thing.

Namaste'

Lady Mod