+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: What makes a good company?

Quote Originally Posted by Rawb
    But some people must join these "new" companies before the 5 year criteria right? otherwise, they would have never made it to the 5 year mark. There will be trials and errors for all new companies while they work the glitches out of everything. I am in one presently. 2 years old, new to North America, and second to none on the products. I look forward to when they add more. Br=est of all? It is Certified Organic products, not just anything
    I agree with what you are saying. If no one ever tried a new company they would never become 5 years old. If you join a start up company, that is the risk you take. Don't complain when it goes belly up.

Quote Originally Posted by openQuestion
    Perhaps you'd like to visit one of the ACN threads and hear from all the unhappy people over there? That company has certainly met the "5-year-success-time-frame", so I guess all those people are whiners and complainers who are looking to "blame their failure" on someone else. Maybe, maybe not. Perhaps the truth lie somewhere in between.

Now you are speaking sensibly. There are NO guarantees in ANY industry. At least traditional companies give you benefits and pay for some expenses.

DSA membership notwithstanding, my question has always been this: "is there such a thing as a good MLM company? Or is the entire concept of the industry dated and flawed?" Not trying to inflame this, but asking this is a legitimate scholarly question.

Here's where you should probably be more specific and clearly define "some", as that answer is key to this discussion. Most MLMs make that answer extremely difficult to obtain, however.

Very Machiavellian attitude: "The end justifies the means". Indeed, what must people be "willing to do" to succeed in this industry? I've seen TONS of people enter MLM and work VERY hard and have virtually no success, so work ethic cannot be the answer. I've seen people in companies large and established, and in companies small and start-up fail, so the company might not be the answer. Could it be that most people simply do not possess the necessary skills to succeed at this? Or can it be that the internet age has simply made an antiquated, inefficient delivery system such as MLM superfluous? You tell me.
    You really like to debate with me don't you.

Quote Originally Posted by B H VINSON
    I agree with what you are saying. If no one ever tried a new company they would never become 5 years old. If you join a start up company, that is the risk you take. Don't complain when it goes belly up.
    All businesses that start up involve some risk. It's another way of gambling. People get addicted to it. And if people are willing to do "whatever it takes" to succeed, that also means sometimes turning their backs on what is ethical. Doing "whatever it takes" to succeed is what a lot of big business in this country does; they are sacrificing human lives for the sake of profits. I don't think GREED and SUCCEED have to be in the same category.

Quote Originally Posted by Rawb
    All businesses that start up involve some risk. It's another way of gambling. People get addicted to it. And if people are willing to do "whatever it takes" to succeed, that also means sometimes turning their backs on what is ethical. Doing "whatever it takes" to succeed is what a lot of big business in this country does; they are sacrificing human lives for the sake of profits. I don't think GREED and SUCCEED have to be in the same category.

My concept of doing what ever it takes to succeed does not include being unethical. I firmly believe "as you sowe, so shall you reap". Another way to say it "What goes around, comes around". By doing what ever it takes, I am referring to work, study and never give up, never give up, never give up.
    You have to have a reason that is bigger than you so that when you are in the depths of depression from rejection, you have something to draw on. When someone tells me "no" that just makes me that much more determined to succeed. That is the fuel that keeps me going. The joy of putting them on my list to invite them to my 8,000 sq ft house boat for a ride up the river while my private chef fixes us a nice meal. The reason that is bigger than me is my son, who is in Iraq. He is in my down line. When he gets home next May, he will have some choices to replace the job he lost in the corporate world when his Guard unit was activated. Enough about me. Just never give up no matter what, if you believe in what you are doing. If it blows up in your face, just pick up the pieces, pray about it and follow your heart and get back at it.
    Last edited by B H VINSON; 11-02-2005 at 06:23 AM.

My concept of doing what ever it takes to succeed does not include being unethical. I firmly believe "as you sowe, so shall you reap". Another way to say it "What goes around, comes around". By doing what ever it takes, I am referring to work, study and never give up, never give up, never give up.
    First of all BH, I debate this subject because I am interested in it, and I think I have a perspective that might be of interest to others. I have no particular bone to pick with you. And from what I have read from you, I do very much believe you are doing this business for all the right reasons. There are many out there like you -- good, ethical people who are honestly trying to build something for themselves and their families in this industry. I used to be EXACTLY like you.

You have to have a reason that is bigger than you so that when you are in the depths of depression from rejection, you have something to draw on. When someone tells me "no" that just makes me that much more determined to succeed. That is the fuel that keeps me going. The joy of putting them on my list to invite them to my 8,000 sq ft house boat for a ride up the river while my private chef fixes us a nice meal. The reason that is bigger than me is my son, who is in Iraq. He is in my down line. When he gets home next May, he will have some choices to replace the job he lost in the corporate world when his Guard unit was activated. Enough about me. Just never give up no matter what, if you believe in what you are doing. If it blows up in your face, just pick up the pieces, pray about it and follow your heart and get back at it.
    And I also had reasons that were bigger than me -- my two kids -- for whom I wanted the same things you want for yours. I simply discovered that I was being lied to by people in this industry whom I trusted, and that the chances for success in the business I had chosen were basically slim and none, and slim had just left town on the last train out. I found there might be a better way than MLM for me to make my own personal contribution to this world, and that continuing on in this industry would involve me fighting against my own ethics and belief system...that the kind of success they were offering would have been "bad karma" for me, basically. Again, this is MY experience and MY call, and I wouldn't want anyone else to do anything but keep there eyes and ears open to move along whatever path they may have chosen. Therefore, I can only wish you the best, and hope that your experiences in this industry have been more positive than mine.

BETTERUNIVERSE Guest

tHIS IS what makes a good company. http://betteruniversecares.org

Quote Originally Posted by openQuestion
    First of all BH, I debate this subject because I am interested in it, and I think I have a perspective that might be of interest to others. I have no particular bone to pick with you. And from what I have read from you, I do very much believe you are doing this business for all the right reasons. There are many out there like you -- good, ethical people who are honestly trying to build something for themselves and their families in this industry. I used to be EXACTLY like you.

And I also had reasons that were bigger than me -- my two kids -- for whom I wanted the same things you want for yours. I simply discovered that I was being lied to by people in this industry whom I trusted, and that the chances for success in the business I had chosen were basically slim and none, and slim had just left town on the last train out. I found there might be a better way than MLM for me to make my own personal contribution to this world, and that continuing on in this industry would involve me fighting against my own ethics and belief system...that the kind of success they were offering would have been "bad karma" for me, basically. Again, this is MY experience and MY call, and I wouldn't want anyone else to do anything but keep there eyes and ears open to move along whatever path they may have chosen. Therefore, I can only wish you the best, and hope that your experiences in this industry have been more positive than mine.
    My comment in reference to debate was not hostle. I suppose I should have put a HAHAHA (loud) on the end.

You are not the only one that has had some bad experience with MLM. I had one about 13 years ago. It was 10 years before I would consider another. Even after I looked at Team National, I examined every aspect of it I could find. I was not concerned about the success failure ratio. I know that depends on me. I was concerned about the company itself. A bunch of friends and I were taken for a ride with a company called Gold Unlimited. I was not going to do that again. I checked with D&B they had a good rate. I checked with South Fla B.B. They only had 25 complaints and all had been settled satisfactorly. I checked with the U.S. Chamber, they had a good rateing. I checked with DSA and found out that they have members on the Board of Directors. I checked with the Burn Camp and found out that they had donated over $250K. I went to several of the meetings and talked to everyone there that I could. I could not find anything wrong any where. There is no quta to buy, no inventory to stock or deliver, no time frame on your production. Do what you want to do in the time frame that you want to do it. Can a person of average intelligence do it? I think so. All you have to do is dial a telephone and play a DVD. How smart do you have to be to do that? Will you do that, I don't know. All I owe anyone is to show them the opportunity and give them a good example. The rest is up to them. Is the cost worth it? That depends on how much you and your family plan to spend over the rest of your life and how many more companies join up with us. I saved $112 a month on my auto and home owners insurance right off. Was my package worth it? Yes. My son saved over $5K on a 1500 Dodge Truck. Was it worth it yes. I have not had a long distance phone bill in months. Was it worth it, Yes. I have purchased eletronic equipment and ink jet and air line tickets and hotel rooms and meals and saved on all of them. Was it worth it, Yes. I have made enough income to retire 3 years early from my 42 year job. Was it worth it, yes. If you buy the package and never use it, you will never save any money. If you never share it with anyone, you will never make any money, bottom line. You can recomend all the people that you want to shop at Sam's. They will never send you a comission. We will.

ps
    We are not a true MLM. As I have told you, we are different from anything that you have ever looked at.

My comment in reference to debate was not hostle. I suppose I should have put a HAHAHA (loud) on the end.

You are not the only one that has had some bad experience with MLM. I had one about 13 years ago. It was 10 years before I would consider another. Even after I looked at Team National, I examined every aspect of it I could find. I was not concerned about the success failure ratio. I know that depends on me. I was concerned about the company itself. A bunch of friends and I were taken for a ride with a company called Gold Unlimited. I was not going to do that again. I checked with D&B they had a good rate. I checked with South Fla B.B. They only had 25 complaints and all had been settled satisfactorly. I checked with the U.S. Chamber, they had a good rateing. I checked with DSA and found out that they have members on the Board of Directors. I checked with the Burn Camp and found out that they had donated over $250K. I went to several of the meetings and talked to everyone there that I could. I could not find anything wrong any where. There is no quta to buy, no inventory to stock or deliver, no time frame on your production. Do what you want to do in the time frame that you want to do it. Can a person of average intelligence do it? I think so. All you have to do is dial a telephone and play a DVD. How smart do you have to be to do that? Will you do that, I don't know. All I owe anyone is to show them the opportunity and give them a good example. The rest is up to them. Is the cost worth it? That depends on how much you and your family plan to spend over the rest of your life and how many more companies join up with us. I saved $112 a month on my auto and home owners insurance right off. Was my package worth it? Yes. My son saved over $5K on a 1500 Dodge Truck. Was it worth it yes. I have not had a long distance phone bill in months. Was it worth it, Yes. I have purchased eletronic equipment and ink jet and air line tickets and hotel rooms and meals and saved on all of them. Was it worth it, Yes. I have made enough income to retire 3 years early from my 42 year job. Was it worth it, yes. If you buy the package and never use it, you will never save any money. If you never share it with anyone, you will never make any money, bottom line. You can recomend all the people that you want to shop at Sam's. They will never send you a comission. We will.

ps
    We are not a true MLM. As I have told you, we are different from anything that you have ever looked at.
    Well, that's a nice, positive testimonial for the company, and I thank you for sharing it.

No Problem, It's The Truth And The Truth Will Always Stand.

No Problem, It's The Truth And The Truth Will Always Stand.
    In a perfect world, yes indeed.

I'll add a couple of things, but I expect to get some flack for them.

1. Look for a product line that gets solid reviews from the mainstream media - they may not always be objective, but if the press completely ignores the products or pans them, give that consideration. After all, they aren't getting paid for anything more than writing the article or broadcasting the report.

2. A company that doesn't put so much focus on recruiting other distributors/sellers/business owners, but actually focuses on retailing the products.

3. NO TOOLS! Seriously. If they were for your benefit, you'd get a recommended reading list and a suggestion that you can pick up the books at Amazon.com at a discount, especially if you buy a used copy. Passing along copies and sharing would also be encouraged.

4. Same goes for rah-rah meetings that you have to pay for. Learning how the upline bought a yacht is not legitimate information to expand your business. If you are pressured to go, don't. Read Fortune or Smart Money instead.

5. A simple compensation plan that doesn't have "legs." Too precarious. Too dependent on other people, too high pressure all around.

6. No burdensome amounts of required purchases - and no increase in the amount of personal purchases as your level increases. Just a simple, sustainable amount which corresponds with some personal use of your choice of some items in the product line. You don't have to use them all, every day. You're smart enough to know what they do by trying them out.

7. If the products are touted as the life-changing, life-saving be-all and end-all, take a breath and a step back. (And never sign anything when you're at an "opportunity meeting" which is designed to put pressure on outsiders.) A category of products - organic, for example - can make a real difference, but there are other brands that probably work equally well and cost less because they don't have the heavy layers of compensation attached. So have an open mind - you may choose to promote certain products within the line and let others go.

8. Are the people involved only close with others involved in the MLM? Are outsiders considered lesser? Do they isolate? Are their only friends in that MLM? If you're looking for a business, and that's all, you may not consider this germaine to business nor businesslike.

8a. No "opportunities" to buy in at a higher level - that means others can leapfrog over you, and it signals that they are circumventing their own compensation system.

9. Be careful of people tying up a money making venture with religion. It can feel a little like blackmail. Don't let someone coerce you or shame you, especially by using your faith as a way to force their will on you. Vast wealth isn't a religious value.

10. Beware of being asked for a list of family and friends with names, addresses and phone numbers. It's not a Christmas card list. They are about to be targeted, whether they want to be or not. Are you comfortable with that? If not, how do you feel about an organization that routinely does this.

11. Beware of being asked searching personal questions - including questions about what you want out of life. It's generally not conversation, but rather the precursor for being told, over and over again, that all of those specific things are attainable through that particular MLM, and probably ONLY through that one.

12. Regarding getting rich, comfortable or having a few hundred extra dollars a month; demand to see the upline's 1099s and see if they correcpond with what you are hearing. Go for the Schedule C, too. Someone should be willing to show it to you if things are really that great(although beware that these can be faked.)

13. How many people in the organization have "retired" and just sit back and watch the money roll in? (This is for the ones that promise "retirement" within a few years.) Prove it.

14. Something I consider a deal-breaker - Read every word of the agreement with the company carefully. I've seen several that provide for the company to terminate your distributorship with no notice and no appeals process. Seriously. It's at their discretion. And there goes all of your hard work, money, downline and trust.

15. Make sure the contracts allow you to sell or, in case of death, will your business to someone else. Some companies do not, so that if you do have a successful organization, it reverts to the company.

Quote Originally Posted by catnip
    I'll add a couple of things, but I expect to get some flack for them.

1. Look for a product line that gets solid reviews from the mainstream media - they may not always be objective, but if the press completely ignores the products or pans them, give that consideration. After all, they aren't getting paid for anything more than writing the article or broadcasting the report.

2. A company that doesn't put so much focus on recruiting other distributors/sellers/business owners, but actually focuses on retailing the products.

3. NO TOOLS! Seriously. If they were for your benefit, you'd get a recommended reading list and a suggestion that you can pick up the books at Amazon.com at a discount, especially if you buy a used copy. Passing along copies and sharing would also be encouraged.

4. Same goes for rah-rah meetings that you have to pay for. Learning how the upline bought a yacht is not legitimate information to expand your business. If you are pressured to go, don't. Read Fortune or Smart Money instead.

5. A simple compensation plan that doesn't have "legs." Too precarious. Too dependent on other people, too high pressure all around.

6. No burdensome amounts of required purchases - and no increase in the amount of personal purchases as your level increases. Just a simple, sustainable amount which corresponds with some personal use of your choice of some items in the product line. You don't have to use them all, every day. You're smart enough to know what they do by trying them out.

7. If the products are touted as the life-changing, life-saving be-all and end-all, take a breath and a step back. (And never sign anything when you're at an "opportunity meeting" which is designed to put pressure on outsiders.) A category of products - organic, for example - can make a real difference, but there are other brands that probably work equally well and cost less because they don't have the heavy layers of compensation attached. So have an open mind - you may choose to promote certain products within the line and let others go.

8. Are the people involved only close with others involved in the MLM? Are outsiders considered lesser? Do they isolate? Are their only friends in that MLM? If you're looking for a business, and that's all, you may not consider this germaine to business nor businesslike.

8a. No "opportunities" to buy in at a higher level - that means others can leapfrog over you, and it signals that they are circumventing their own compensation system.

9. Be careful of people tying up a money making venture with religion. It can feel a little like blackmail. Don't let someone coerce you or shame you, especially by using your faith as a way to force their will on you. Vast wealth isn't a religious value.

10. Beware of being asked for a list of family and friends with names, addresses and phone numbers. It's not a Christmas card list. They are about to be targeted, whether they want to be or not. Are you comfortable with that? If not, how do you feel about an organization that routinely does this.

11. Beware of being asked searching personal questions - including questions about what you want out of life. It's generally not conversation, but rather the precursor for being told, over and over again, that all of those specific things are attainable through that particular MLM, and probably ONLY through that one.

12. Regarding getting rich, comfortable or having a few hundred extra dollars a month; demand to see the upline's 1099s and see if they correcpond with what you are hearing. Go for the Schedule C, too. Someone should be willing to show it to you if things are really that great(although beware that these can be faked.)

13. How many people in the organization have "retired" and just sit back and watch the money roll in? (This is for the ones that promise "retirement" within a few years.) Prove it.

14. Something I consider a deal-breaker - Read every word of the agreement with the company carefully. I've seen several that provide for the company to terminate your distributorship with no notice and no appeals process. Seriously. It's at their discretion. And there goes all of your hard work, money, downline and trust.

15. Make sure the contracts allow you to sell or, in case of death, will your business to someone else. Some companies do not, so that if you do have a successful organization, it reverts to the company.
    Sounds more like a part time job.

testing 123

Good points for discussion and so interesting !