View Poll Results: Will the prosecutor be non-partisan in his approach toward indictments?

Voters
8. This poll is closed
  • Yes

8 100.00%
  • No

0 0%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

tommywho70x Guest

Re: Leak Prosecutor Is Called Exacting and Apolitical

i suppose that would depend on whether the status quo was in need of a disturbance or not, PARKS, 'APOSTROPHE, YES? and/or No.Shift+F8+CLOUDS Type: "Mushroom"

1601 Pennsylvania Avenue.gif=1 By:_>>; http://www.prop1.org - PEACE PARK - Anti-Nuclear Vigil 1981-Present H.R. Pending...Proposition One for Nuclear Disarmament
    Author(s): Wm. & Ellen Thomas
    Internet Newsletter Title: NUCNEWS.NET (Microsoft Word for Windows compatible)
    Web Site designed by ZILCH Media, Inc.

DISCLAIMER: This post is flagrant ANTI-NUCLEAR PROPAGANDA. No apology. No retraction. No Press CTRL+ALT+DEL. No ESC, No NONSENSE PANTY HOSE HEADERS...

Miller 'Dismayed' by Times Criticism
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/worldlates...367598,00.html
    Tuesday October 25, 2005 1:31 AM

By AMY WESTFELDT
    Associated Press Writer

NEW YORK (AP) - New York Times reporter Judith Miller is defending herself against her own paper's criticism of her role in the CIA leak controversy, saying she was proud to serve time in jail to protect a confidential source, ``even if he happened to work for the Bush White House.''

Miller's response came in a lengthy e-mail to public editor Byron Calame, who recommended in a Sunday column that the Times review Miller's journalistic practices for conduct that raised ``clear issues of trust and credibility.''

Miller spent 85 days in jail for refusing to testify before a grand jury investigating the leak of CIA covert officer Valerie Plame's identity.

She was released Sept. 29 and agreed to testify after a source, Vice President Cheney's chief of staff, I. Lewis ``Scooter'' Libby, released her from her promise of confidentiality.

In her testimony, Miller said she talked with Libby, but said she could not remember who told her the name she wrote in her notebook as ``Valerie Flame.''

Since Miller published her account and the Times published its own story about Miller on Oct. 16, media critics and journalists have derided her, both for her stories strongly suggesting the presence of weapons of mass destruction in Iraq, and for failing to explain how she learned Plame's identity.

Executive Editor Bill Keller said in an e-mail to staffers Friday that Miller appeared to have misled editors about her conversations with Libby. Columnist Maureen Dowd, meanwhile, wrote on Saturday that editors had been unable to control Miller.

Miller's e-mail to Calame was posted in his Web journal late Sunday on the Times' Web site. In it, Miller said she was ``dismayed'' by his essay and referred to Keller's staff e-mail as an ``ugly, inaccurate memo.''

Calame had noted Miller's assertion that she recommended to an editor a story be pursued on Plame, but had been told there was no interest. Miller's boss at the time, Jill Abramson, has said Miller didn't make such a request, and Calame wrote that he believed Abramson, now the paper's managing editor.

``Now I ask you: Why would I - the supposedly pushiest, most competitive reporter on the planet - not have pushed to pursue a tantalizing tip like this?'' Miller wrote.

While she and Abramson have different recollections, Miller wrote that ``without explanation ... you said you believed her and raised questions about my `trust and credibility.' That is your right. But I gave my recollection to the grand jury under oath.''

Times spokeswoman Catherine Mathis didn't return a telephone call seeking comment Monday.

Miller, 57, won a Pulitzer Prize in explanatory journalism in 2002 for her work on global terrorism threats.

I have to apologize to pwrone for doubting him on this thread.

Fitzy just gave an alalogy to a baseball pitcher trying to take someones head off with a fastball - because the batter hit two home runs off of him earlier.

He compared Libby to the disgruntled pitcher and the poor batter to plame.

Purely ridiculous.

You were right pwrone.

Quote Originally Posted by Raider
    I have to apologize to pwrone for doubting him on this thread.

Fitzy just gave an alalogy to a baseball pitcher trying to take someones head off with a fastball - because the batter hit two home runs off of him earlier.

He compared Libby to the disgruntled pitcher and the poor batter to plame.

Purely ridiculous.

You were right pwrone.
    So you didn't like the baseball anaolgy, okay. I think he worded it this way to make the investigative process more understandable for the American public and baseball is something that most people can relate to.

But what do think about the ACTUAL investigation? It seems that he and his staff were extremely careful in examining the timelines as far as who knew what when, and who said what to whom....

You seemed very supportive of Fitzgerald the other day... Are you now saying that you think he was the wrong guy for the job?
    Last edited by Connecticut Victim; 10-29-2005 at 02:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Connecticut Victim
    So you didn't like the baseball anaolgy, okay. I think he worded it this way to make the investigative process more understandable for the American public and baseball is something that most people can relate to.

But what do think about the ACTUAL investigation? It seems that he and his staff were extremely careful in examining the timelines as far as who knew what when, and who said what to whom....

You seemed very supportive of Fitzgerald the other day... Are you now saying that you think he was the wrong guy for the job?
    The baseball analogy was horrible and it tipped me off right away as to his mindset in this whole investigation. What were these two homeruns that Plame hit? Oh.......I know. They were in reference to the lies and falsehoods that Joe Wilson was spreading all over the MSM like manure trying to get his 'fiction garden' to grow. Why didn't he squash this whole investigation after 20 minutes of research? Was Plame "covert"? NO! Big fishing expedition from jump street.

90% of what he said seemed fair though. That baseball tripe he just let his personal bias show thru.

That's all!

Quote Originally Posted by Raider
    The baseball analogy was horrible and it tipped me off right away as to his mindset in this whole investigation. What were these two homeruns that Plame hit? Oh.......I know. They were in reference to the lies and falsehoods that Joe Wilson was spreading all over the MSM like manure trying to get his 'fiction garden' to grow. Why didn't he squash this whole investigation after 20 minutes of research? Was Plame "covert"? NO! Big fishing expedition from jump street.

90% of what he said seemed fair though. That baseball tripe he just let his personal bias show thru.

That's all!
    Fair enough. But I don't think the baseball analogy was in reference to this particular case. If I remember correctly the reporter's question that prompted Fitzgerald's response, it was a question about the overall investigative process in general - so I didn't make any connection to Plame homeruns or anything like that.

But anyway, it's good to see that you are satisfied with the actual investigation. Personally, I didn't pick up on any personal bias with regards to Fitzgerald though. I thought he was very articulate when he needed to be, while trying to state things in "laymans terms" with a full awareness that he was speaking to the American public, as well as the reporters. I know alot of people appreciated that, because political and legal terms can be very confusing at times. It's like going to the doctor and having him use a word as long as your arm to tell you that you have the flu!!!! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Connecticut Victim
    Fair enough. But I don't think the baseball analogy was in reference to this particular case. If I remember correctly the reporter's question that prompted Fitzgerald's response, it was a question about the overall investigative process in general - so I didn't make any connection to Plame homeruns or anything like that.

But anyway, it's good to see that you are satisfied with the actual investigation. Personally, I didn't pick up on any personal bias with regards to Fitzgerald though. I thought he was very articulate when he needed to be, while trying to state things in "laymans terms" with a full awareness that he was speaking to the American public, as well as the reporters. I know alot of people appreciated that, because political and legal terms can be very confusing at times. It's like going to the doctor and having him use a word as long as your arm to tell you that you have the flu!!!! LOL

Stating that the man is guilty before a trial is a bit..umm...whats that word?

Quote Originally Posted by pwrone
    Who said Libby was guilty? I didn't say that....

Quote Originally Posted by pwrone
    Presumptuous?