+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Got ripped off on ebay... What do I do?

:confused: Got ripped off on ebay... What do I do? Do I call my local police department or the sellers? Do I make a small claims case in my state or his? Need answers or steps to resolve this. Also could use 1-800 numbers for ebay and/or paypal since their sites don't like to list those kinds of things... >< Need info fast before seller skips town!

Re: Got ripped off on ebay... What do I do?

Did you pay using paypal and do you have the product you bought on ebay? This happened to me. I received an item that was not even close to what was describe on Ebay. I went directly to paypal and filed a complaint. They told me that if I sent the item back to the person who sold me the item that my complaint with paypal would be vaild and I would receive my money back. According to paypal no matter what an auction states the product has to be "physically" with either the buyer or the seller. If the buyer is unhappy they have all the right in the world to send it back to the seller. If you do send it back the seller will again have phyiscal placement of the product in his/her pocession and the transaction will be consider null and void with paypal. At that time paypal with refund your money. I did as they said and received my 800.00 back within 48hours. If you visit the paypal website you can file a complaint. They will then email you directions on what to do next. Paypal give you 1000.00 in buyer protection free when using their service. Try that and see where that goes.

What item did you buy? I could be of some more help to you regarding what you could do legally if I had more information. Hope this helps. :)

Go to the BBB and file a complaint againts the company if it is a company that ripped you off..

Well some ppl state that they DON'T TAKE RETURNS OR EXCHANGES. So read it. If you didn't recieve item, then file a complaint with paypal (if u payd thru it) and report to eBay.

Quote Originally Posted by HeadyMo
    :confused: Got ripped off on ebay... What do I do? Do I call my local police department or the sellers? Do I make a small claims case in my state or his? Need answers or steps to resolve this. Also could use 1-800 numbers for ebay and/or paypal since their sites don't like to list those kinds of things... >< Need info fast before seller skips town!
    first of all, what exactly happened? i use ebay & am familier with resolving complaints/problems...

Hunt the person down and kill him or her. Problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by scambuster

it lacks style... but I'm still going to give this solution my A+ approval.

Quote Originally Posted by scambuster
    ya, i would like to kill some of those morons on ebay who win an auction & then dissapear off the face of the earth.

Glad to help!

OK this is what happened. I pre-ordered an xbox360 with a seller that had 50 previous transactions with a 100% feedback rating back in July. A month ago I noticed he was "no longer a registered user" and to my surprise he took the money of a bunch of people who claimed he never sent them anything. I filed complaints with both ebay and paypal but since too much time expired it was not in their policy to help, let alone give me back my money. I paid with a cash balance in my paypal account so I can't dispute charges with my credit card company. The seller is not answering e-mails or phone calls. I reversed searched his phone number only to come to the conclusion that he is using a cell phone provider in his area. Technically he hasn't stolen anything from me until November 22 the expected day of launch but I'd like get a jump on things while his phone number is still active. Any help with prosecuting and/or getting my money back would be greatly appreciated. Oh, and I contacted the other victims of this seller but they don't have any more info than what I already have.

Quote Originally Posted by HeadyMo
    OK this is what happened. I pre-ordered an xbox360 with a seller that had 50 previous transactions with a 100% feedback rating back in July. A month ago I noticed he was "no longer a registered user" and to my surprise he took the money of a bunch of people who claimed he never sent them anything. I filed complaints with both ebay and paypal but since too much time expired it was not in their policy to help, let alone give me back my money. I paid with a cash balance in my paypal account so I can't dispute charges with my credit card company. The seller is not answering e-mails or phone calls. I reversed searched his phone number only to come to the conclusion that he is using a cell phone provider in his area. Technically he hasn't stolen anything from me until November 22 the expected day of launch but I'd like get a jump on things while his phone number is still active. Any help with prosecuting and/or getting my money back would be greatly appreciated. Oh, and I contacted the other victims of this seller but they don't have any more info than what I already have.
    what i don't understand is how he can have 100% positive feedback with screwing over so many people. you don't leave any feedback until you receive the item a person sells. you might want to go to the community chatrooms on ebay & ask another expierenced ebayer what to do in this situation. there is a lot of experienced ebayers there. frankly if the person is no longer a registered ebayer, & his contact info might be false, there might not be anything you can do, as you have to be able to identify this dirtbag first. good luck...
    Last edited by saturnsc2; 10-24-2005 at 04:42 AM.

He had 100% when I made the purchase. Obviously, he doesn't have that now. My guess is that he made a few purchases then sold a few discounted psps and then did auctions for like 20 of them and that's when he took off. He also used this website to conduct credit card transactions originally. www.allcitimedia.com/ssl Then used auctioncheckout.com before taking the money and run. If ebay/paypal can't protect people who pre-order perhaps they shouldn't allow it...

Any possibility that I can get an xbox 360 from doing offers on one of those websites? Any recommendations as to which one? I'd rather do a site that will send me the xbox360 and not a check...

Hello HeadyMo,

Sorry that you got scammed. For the future, when you buy on eBay and see a 100% poz feedback, go deeper and check the comments plus the related transactions: if the guy is selling xbox'es and most of the feedback is related to purchases, rather than sales and especially if the transaction amounts of these purchases are for a few cents or a dollar, be suspicious: ask the guy for a real address and tel number and verify it. If the guy refuses, i wouldn't suggest to buy or bid. If he doesn't, you are not 100% sure of course, but at least you are able to track him down if he scams you. It is a later common practice for scammers on eBay to look for buy it now auctions with the price of a few cents and buy promptly, getting a poz feedback and increasing their credibility to the eyes of future scammed people.
    If you wanted to let me know the eBay user, via private email or posting a complaint at the Fair Trade Authority i would appreciate, as we could make a research and add the guy to our auctioneers blacklist, helping out other people like you to avoid possible scams.

Hey fairtrade, I private messaged that info to you.

Thanks HeadyMO, got it. From a very first research something weird came out: there is someone with name you have sent me who died in Irvine last April. This might mean anything, but also might mean, by experience, that the name used by the scammer is a fake name...sad enough that they steal names from dead people, if it is true...we will investigate further and we will let you know if something will come out. At least we will post anything we have on our site in order to eventually help other people in the future. Thanks for now.