+ Reply to Thread

Note in a Bottle

Note in a Bottle
    Stephen Pizzo
    Raconteur at Large
    Blog: http://www.newsforreal.com

If my regular readers will excuse me for a moment, I don't want to preach to the choir today. No offense intended, please. I just think it's the right time to re-open a dialog with the folks who supported George W. Bush. At least the Bush voters I know are fine, decent folk I find in them no ill-will, no evil intent and they are no smarter or dumber than the rest of us. But we stopped talking a long time ago and when we interact now we tend to just sneer and jab at one another. We call their guy "dumb" and "a liar." And they reply by reminding us that the last guy we sent to the Oval Office was adulterer and a liar.

It's all so tiresome, not to mention unproductive. So let's just clear the air – we're both right.

But Bill Clinton is long gone and Hillary has about as much chance of becoming President as I do of becoming the next Pope. So talking about them is a waste of both our times. But George W. Bush is with us for another three years. That's why I believe it's time we started talking again, talking about what we can do, together.

So, a note to my conservative friends.

Dear Friends,
    Long time no see. How ya been? Not so good? I understand.

It took me a while back then to sort out my feelings too. I liked most of Clinton's policies. I loved that he balanced the budget, embarrassed the Europeans into responding to genocide in the former Yugoslavia. I appreciated his sharp mind and eloquence. So it took me a while before I had to admit that Clinton was also a self-indulgent, self-distructive putz.

Now it's your turn to make that painful journey. It's not about disloyalty. It's about patriotism. It's not a reflection on you, but him. You voted for Bush because you believed him, believed he was, like you, a compassionate conservative. Believed that he was against thrusting America into highfaluting international nation building adventures. Believed that he was, as you are, a fiscal conservative who would fight government waste and fraud. Believed that he was strong on defense and would strengthen America's armed forces.

I don't know if he lied to you or just failed to live up to his stated standards. We can argue about that, but it's a waste of time. The fact is he has failed to deliver on each and every one of those promises. Six years later:

* America is deeper in debt than ever in our history, and getting deeper by the second.

* America's armed forces are over-extended, under-manned and nearing exhaustion.

* Fraud, waste and abuse has become institutionalized as hundreds of billions of dollars in no-bid contracts flow to administration-connected firms like Halliburton.

* America is involved in the biggest nation building effort since the Mashall Plan.

* The sleaziest of sleazy lobbyists (like now-indicted Jack Abramoff,) were welcomed within the highest administration offices.

* And now the top two administration officials, Karl Rove and Scooter Libby are under federal investigation.

Now don't get your backs up. I am not making fun or jabbing or taking pleasure in your pain and disappointment. I am just asking that you do what I did when the shoe was on the other foot. You have to let it go. Let go of the Bush you wish you had and come to ter.ms with the Bush you got.

Once you are over that hump we can bury the hatchet and get down to work -- together. We have three more years to muddle through before we can pick a new leader. I'm not asking you to become Democrats. (Hell, I'm not even sure I want to be one myself any more.)

What I am asking is that we try to work together between now and then to steer our respective representatives in useful directions. To force them to begin cleaning up some of these messes, or at the very least staunch the hemorrhaging of lives and treasure and trust until this guy is safely back at his Texas ranch.

So, are you ready now to apply the high standard you rightfully imposed on Bill Clinton? I know it's tough. Believe me, I've been there so, dare I say, I feel your pain.

You begin by first admitting mistakes where made and then apply the first rule of Holes, (You know, "When you discover you've dug yourself into a hole, stop digging.")

We need to stop digging in Iraq, stop digging ourselves into debt giving money we don't have to the already wealthy, stop digging the graves of American labor by making it more attractive for companies to send jobs overseas than keep them here at home.

Then whether we elect a Republican or Democrat president next time, he/she will not be taking charge of a complete basket case.

Thanks for listening. Stay in touch.
    Steve

Re: Note in a Bottle

I sort of like this...I don't agree with many of his opinions here but I like the tone very much. Before I read this I was thinking of how to respond to a particularly vicious personal attack on another thread. It is difficult for me to work up any ACTUAL animosity toward anyone on a political forum because I know that if we were all in a room together we would all get along. The only time I have ever seen any political talk turn violent is in a bar with lots of alcohol. I respect everyone who has an opinion and the sand to put it out there...it might not always SEEM that way but there it is...
    I live in California where many of my political beliefs are not exactly...um...popular...
    the friends I have are as amused by them as I am by theirs. It is easier to understand that we are all in it together when you can put a face and a personality to the people you disagree with most...people that you genuinely like and love. So..always remember, no matter what we say or how we say it---I am right and you are wrong! :)

Hell will freeze over before Steve's friends, or my friends, or your friends or any die-hard Bush supporter will accept ANY of what he has said here!! Burying the hatchet IS NOT an option for these people.

It ain't gonna happen.......... :rolleyes:

coontie is offline Vashudeva; Ferryman - doing the work...

Yeah, it seems like the problem is always not really considering the person
    in office, as president, and staff, objectively. It always seems more like
    party affiliation. That's seems to be the sticking point. Taking sides, like
    at a sports event or any other venue where it seems that someone is
    SET UP to choose not what is good, right and supportive for the govenment
    of the people, this nation, America, but which side someone is on.
    It is ALL a very tidy arrangement constructed by the politicans to
    get people into their pockets, polarize, establish circumstances of
    blind loyalty; my man, right or wrong. Making suckers out of we the
    people.
    It really seems like it is time to get away from this old predictable two
    party system and at least establish a third party, if not four or five,
    seriously. This is something the now established two party political
    system politicans absolutely do not want. Because, for one consideration
    it seems that it would not be as simple to manipulate the outcome
    of elections as it presently is.
    It has always seemd ironic to me that this electorial college arrange-
    ment holds sway over the popular vote. That is the total person by
    person vote total tally in the elections. Most reading this know that
    the electorial college arrangement is supposed to allow states with
    lesser population density to have an equal voice in the election. But,
    undoubtely, it does contradict how the majority of people have voted.
    It seems that there must be a better system wherein the individual
    citizen of this country has a better voice in the government of this
    country that according to the constitution is intended to be government
    by and for the people.
    As it is, and has been for many years, it has been government by and
    for the politicans. Sadly, the government that we really get is government
    for and by corporations = big business.
    When one considers the billions of dollars in "campaign contributions" that
    businesses make to a particular candidate, consider that these "contri-
    butions are made, not in the best interest of we the people, but with the
    intent of a very large return on investment, to make the individuals behind
    these businesses ever more wealthy. At the same time, all things
    considered, the citizens of this country pay a great deal more in
    taxes than these corporations and wealthy individuals. This is used
    to fund the salaries of all the ruling politicans in office during a given
    period of government, as well as providing the capital to support
    all the logistical considerations of the government in office.
    What does this amount to? We the people pay our taxes to provide
    the government (intentionally avoided saying "our government" here)
    with all the capital to buy all of the goods, materials and services from
    these very corporations that paid money to get "their man" elected so
    that they could realize a windfall of profit. That's the way it works.
    Oh, and sure, these businesses provide employment, jobs to people,
    which would certainly be very much more appreciated if, for instance
    they would have profit sharing and be beneficent (are you kidding?) in
    providing better benefits for their employees, rather than holding
    back programs that would allow for this as they are too greedy
    (the shareholders and C.E.O.s) and follow the practice that the
    more they can chisel their employees out of the more money they
    can put in their pockets.
    In the end, it follows: we get the government and it's repersentatives
    that we deserve as we never seem to aspire to demanding good and
    better from them. For many, as long as their "party" is the majority
    representatives of government, right or wrong, they do no wrong.
    So, how does everyone like paying a part of your income every year
    for a government that is working for someone else? :(

Quote Originally Posted by pwrone
    So..always remember, no matter what we say or how we say it---I am right and you are wrong! :)
    Only in your dreams darlin', but don't wake up on our account. LOL.

Lady Mod

Quote Originally Posted by sojustask
    Only in your dreams darlin', but don't wake up on our account. LOL.

Lady Mod
    CV killed my love buzz...

Quote Originally Posted by coontie
    So, how does everyone like paying a part of your income every year for a government that is working for someone else? :(
    I think it sucks... :rolleyes:

Great post coontie.. :)

Quote Originally Posted by pwrone
    CV killed my love buzz...
    awwwwww... I'm sorry buddy.. :p LOL