+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Monster and Hotjobs Scams

Are most of the scams on CareerBuilder, or do Mo nster and Hotjobs have the same number of scams?

Just wondering

Re: Monster and Hotjobs Scams

WhoDunIt,

I haven't received anything from MONSTER or HOTJOBS, nor have I read anything from any other members. But other than that I can't say.

To say that Monster or HotJobs do not have scam job postings on either site would be misleading. They are not immune. Like all businesses, online scammers are ploying the internet looking for unsuspecting victims. And there are millions online.

However, there is a difference in how Monster or HotJobs resolve scammers exploiting their database. They resolve this with EXPEDIENCY until a new one crop up.

Unlike Careerbuilder, one do not see a sense of urgency to resolve this. Scammers have been exploiting Careerbuilder database as legitimate employers since to the best of my observation 1/01/05.
    In January of 2005, we at Scam and ScamFraudAlert began to see more victims who had been contacted by potential employers (scammers) after we were successful in having Careerbuilder take responsibility of policing their site. In essence, the scammers had switched tactics and it continues today.

This is August of 2005 and fraudulent employers are as rampant on careerbuilder site as they have been since January 2005.
    When will Careerbuilder get this under control? Is their business model mirrors that of qchex?
    Last edited by Scrub; 08-08-2005 at 08:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrub
    To say that Monster or HotJobs do not have scam job postings on either site would be misleading. They are not immune. Like all businesses, online scammers are ploying the internet looking for unsuspecting victims. And there are millions online.

However, there is a difference in how Monster or HotJobs resolve scammers exploiting their database. They resolve this with EXPEDIENCY until a new one crop up.

Unlike Careerbuilder, one do not see a sense of urgency to resolve this. Scammers have been exploiting Careerbuilder database as legitimate employers since to the best of my observation 1/01/05.
    In January of 2005, we at Scam and ScamFraudAlert began to see more victims who had been contacted by potential employers (scammers) after we were successful in having Careerbuilder take responsibility of policing their site. In essence, the scammers had switched tactics and it continues today.

This is August of 2005 and fraudulent employers are as rampant on careerbuilder site as they have been since January 2005.
    When will Careerbuilder get this under control? Is their business model mirrors that of qchex?

CB does not care. They are out to get money and nothing we say or do will change that. I was supposed to have an interview with a reporter from the local newspaper in my area over 2 weeks ago and no one ever contacted me. This same Newspaper is the one that supports CB in my area. They want their money any way they can get it even if innocent people get hurt by their inaction. The best way to stop a scammer from getting you is to check it out closely there are lots of legitimate jobs on CB you just have to sort out who is who.

Mom
    Last edited by savedbymom; 08-09-2005 at 05:46 AM.

Careerbuilder - Hotjobs - Monster.com

If you've posted your resume on Careerbuilder, Monster.com, Hotjobs.com or any other employment sites, chances are you're going to be hit with a number of questionable replies.

WARNING -- THEY'RE GETTING MORE TALENTED AT TRYING TO FOOL PEOPLE.

They have believable web sites, some with pretty good animation... I was almost fooled by one today. Real addresses, but no such business name when you search. I'm a web designer so I also noticed some aesthetic red flags. Always check email details: who sent it? who really sent it? who are you really replying to? These addresses don't match.

Biggest red flag -- Too much yada yada yada in the email, but no contact phone number. Anyone with true interest would call you directly for an interview, something they'll never do because it leaves a trace.

Futurevision Advertising

Reporter....was this from a company "futurevision"? I received an email today with a job opportunity and it had a website that looked legit. Below is the email I received. This just does not look credible.

Hello,

I recently saw your resume online and think you may be right for a position I am trying to fill. I am a senior partner in a small online marketing company, which helps small and mid sized businesses market their products and services online. Our company helps businesses that want to increase their online business, but donít have the technical or marketing knowledge in house.

I have an opening for an administrative assistant to help with a variety of clerical tasks. The position allows you to work from home so location is irrelevant. Responsibilities include:

Writing correspondence for letters to existing and potential clients
    Tracking results of client campaigns
    Arranging my travel schedule
    Preparing client reports

We are offering the following compensation

Annual salary of $52,000 per year
    Quarterly Bonus based on company profits
    Paid vacation (2 weeks)
    Paid personal time (1 week)
    Tuition Re-imbursement plan

We do not have a current company policy, but we will offer up to $500 per month for health coverage. In addition the company will cover all expenses such as supplies, Internet connection, phone line and fax machine.

The person I am looking for must be very organized, manages his or her time well, and is a loyal and dedicated employee. I am very easy to work with and I am comfortable arranging a schedule around personal responsibilities. You must meet me half way and understand that occasional long hours will be required occasionally.

If you feel this position is right for you please go to the link below and fill out the online application. Once you have filled out this application I will contact you by phone for a one on one interview.

Click Here to Apply

Regards,
    Marty Shuman
    Senior Partner
    Future Vision Advertising

We have just launched a new website so it is still in development, but you can visit it for more information about our company: http://www.futurevisionadvertising.com

Re: Careerbuilder - Hotjobs - Monster.com

As in my earlier posting, this is a real legit company.

hope this helps

DLCWJC,

Yes, this is the same email I received, but my salary was $60K.

The web site looked very real - but notice no phone number.
    There is such an address, but my searches for this company turned up nothing.
    Come on, every company must have a phone number.

Reporter....

Thanks for the information. Don't know if you saw that there was a reply stating that "a friend worked there". What is that all about? Could this be "scammers" trying to convince us they are legit?

Bethanygirl,

Please ask your friend if she can share her company's work number with us, so we can call her for a reference.

Don't bother, bethanygirl is one of the scammers. This is their typical MO - they create a scam site, and then hang out on boards like scam.com to try to convince people that the site is legitimate.

I've gotten tons of emails from "prospective employers" following the updating of my resume on monster. One of them was from UGA, which looks like a total scam to me, but I can't be sure.

It looks like selling insurance to self-employed people or something, but the fact that the website talks about high earnings and ownership make it sound fake right off the bat.

Re: Futurevision Advertising

Quote Originally Posted by DLCWJC
    Reporter....was this from a company "futurevision"? I received an email today with a job opportunity and it had a website that looked legit. Below is the email I received. This just does not look credible.

Hello,

I recently saw your resume online and think you may be right for a position I am trying to fill. I am a senior partner in a small online marketing company, which helps small and mid sized businesses market their products and services online. Our company helps businesses that want to increase their online business, but donít have the technical or marketing knowledge in house.

I have an opening for an administrative assistant to help with a variety of clerical tasks. The position allows you to work from home so location is irrelevant. Responsibilities include:

Writing correspondence for letters to existing and potential clients
    Tracking results of client campaigns
    Arranging my travel schedule
    Preparing client reports

Annual salary of $52,000 per year
    Paid vacation (2 weeks)

We do not have a current company policy, but we will offer up to $500 per month for health coverage. In addition the company will cover all expenses such as supplies, Internet connection, phone line and fax machine.

The person I am looking for must be very organized, manages his or her time well, and is a loyal and dedicated employee. I am very easy to work with and I am comfortable arranging a schedule around personal responsibilities. You must meet me half way and understand that occasional long hours will be required occasionally.

If you feel this position is right for you please go to the link below and fill out the online application. Once you have filled out this application I will contact you by phone for a one on one interview.

Click Here to Apply

Regards,
    Marty Shuman
    Senior Partner

We have just launched a new website so it is still in development, but you can visit it for more information about our company: http://www.futurevisionadvertising.com
    OMG! I received the same one two days ago - I thought it was questionable so I passed. As if you saw my resume - you would know my NAME!!!

Hello,

I have an opening for an advertising assistant to help dealing with client projects. The position allows you to work from home so location is irrelevant. Responsibilities include:

Tracking Results of existing campaigns
    Writing Copy for banner and click ads
    Negotiating Media Buys with media companies
    Attending Client conference calls and discussing creative ideas

Annual salary of $60,000 per year
    Paid vacation (2 weeks)

The person I am looking for should have a strong instinct for advertising. Knowledge of click ads and banner ads is an advantage, but I can train the right person. The most important qualification is an intuitive instinct of what gets the potential customer to act.

Click Here to Apply

Regards,
    Marty Shuman
    Senior Partner

You are subscribed as: . To unsubscribe please click here.

From what I understand, the scammers have a software application that scrapes the email addresses off resumes.

Then.. they'll send you a spam offering you a nonexistant job, ask you to supply a load of personal data and then they build up a huge database which they didn't have to pay for.

Thanks for explaining it, Dynamoo. It finally makes sense. I always wondered what the heck scammers were getting out of this.

Can't resist adding a little excitement to Dynamoo's very correct way of putting it.

What counts most to the scammers is the special quality of this database: The number of rather to very gullible, careless and ignorant people, who easily believe a too good to be true story, is a good deal above average.

A normal "hard lead" can do max 2 to 3 dollars a piece in the legal circuit. Leads obtained by scamming can do about double that amount in the scams circuit.

Imho most likely the vast majority, if not all of the leads that Defrawy and his gang have obtained by this phishing scam, will be sold to and used by scam gangs. Including themselves.
    Last edited by Klaas; 10-20-2005 at 11:43 AM.