+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

tommywho70x Guest

Why you should kill your television

In response to Connecticut Victim's interest in a discussion of TV being used as a tool to mentally condition America's children and adults to accept torture, summary execution and the general mayhem of war as a necessary evil by the manufacturers and financiers of those wars, I ran the search you see below.

In looking through the results, the articles that I liked best for posting as the focus for the discussion were far too long to bring in here. I gave up after trying match #33. The Truth About Television and decided to just give you all the search results and let you drag&dump whatever you like into the discussion.

http://search.netzero.net/search?r=s...ion%20violence

As the 'Host' of this thread, I will not respond to any off-topic, off-the-wall comments, nor will I engage in any interpersonal exchanges.

Such disruptive, diversionary tactics are not going to be tolerated and I would request that the Forum Moderator, Sojustask, simply delete those postings so that this discussion may proceed on topic Title: "Why you should kill your television".

Re: Why you should kill your television

Hi Tommy,

I lived without a TV for about 8 years. Those were the some of the happiest years of my life. LOL This is not hyperbole, it is a fact, taken from own life.

But seriously, the reasons everyone should get rid of their TV are many. I will state just three.

1. The noise. The sounds of TV are disturbing to the mind, thinking processes. Want proof, watch TV without the sound on for one day. All day, see how your sensitivity to sound will change afterward.

2. The content. Or lack thereof. TV is for ENTERTAINMENT not information. Want proof, watch TV with the sound on for one day. All day, and see if you learned anything. Observe whether you were given information that could actually help you in your daily life (besides the weather report).

3. Don't quote me, but TV is a drug. To be more specific, it is a narcotic. Want proof, watch TV for one day. All day, and pay attention to your mood, reflexes, attention span, ability to process information. When you come home from a hard day at work, watching TV will dull your senses, and turn off your response to stimuli. That is why people do it, to STOP thinking, and feeling. Just like a drug.

Tommy, I apologize if my post is not scientific. TV is a waste of time. There is no way to prove that until people throw their TVs away. The proof is in the pudding. That is my take on the thread entitled: Why you should kill your Television.

DeeDee1965

Lenny Loosejocks Guest

Quote Originally Posted by tommywho70x
    In response to Connecticut Victim's interest in a discussion of TV being used as a tool to mentally condition America's children and adults to accept torture, summary execution and the general mayhem of war as a necessary evil by the manufacturers and financiers of those wars, I ran the search you see below.
    I have long held the belief that ALL kinds of reporting of the terrors of war and violence desensitizes all of us to the horror of acts of violence of any kind.
    Someone on this very site posted links to video of Westerners who had been kidnapped and then decapitated. Something like that should have made me ill. I reluctantly watched the videos and found it hardly affected me at all. That's the sad part, for me!
    If you believe that television is being used as a tool to desensitize people, why didn't they show film of those decapitations and what do you say about other forms of communication such as the internet?

tommywho70x Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny Loosejocks
    I have long held the belief that ALL kinds of reporting of the terrors of war and violence desensitizes all of us to the horror of acts of violence of any kind.
    Someone on this very site posted links to video of Westerners who had been kidnapped and then decapitated. Something like that should have made me ill. I reluctantly watched the videos and found it hardly affected me at all. That's the sad part, for me!
    If you believe that television is being used as a tool to desensitize people, why didn't they show film of those decapitations and what do you say about other forms of communication such as the internet?
    I remember that viewpoint discussed during the Vietnam War and I agree wholeheartedly that it is a very real effect of the medium.

When the fictional offerings have so much gratuitous violence that is so much more vivid than any real war footage we get to see, the real stuff almost becomes boring and doesn't give the viewer that adrenalin rush they get from really intense cinematography.

You open a really putrid can of worms with the decapitation videos because those may have been American and Israeli agents doing the deed. I saw one of those myself and the guy looked like he was already dead at the beginning, he was wearing a prison jumpsuit and the Arabs didn't look or act like Arab terrorists. I saw a report from a physician who viewed it as well as a few military analysts that claimed it was faked.

In addition to DeeDee's post... TV will also seriously mis-guide you. Two cases in point... The store I was working in, near Christmas of 2000, was robbed and I had the unique pleasure of having a pistol shoved in my ribs. After the fact, some of my customers informed me they would have taken the gun away from the thief. With that... I stood behind them and to their left, stuck my finger in their ribs and said... "Now take the gun away from me before I can shoot you.". The second incident involved a young lady on one of our interstate highways... 'On TV'... a person in danger dashes onto the highway to escape or seek help... cars screech to a halt... the person escapes. 'Reality'... the young lady was struck and killed by a car.
    We put way too much stock and trust in TV, it's programming and news reporting.
    As a local news camereman friend of mine once said..."NEVER trust what you see & hear on TV... it isn't real. We can and do take any footage we want and can and do make it mean whatever we want.".

cheers,
    Paul

Thanks for starting this thread tommy.. :cool:

If anyone would argue with the fact that TV has a HUGE negative impact on our lives, then they are just plain ignorant. Thanks to TV, NOTHING shocks us anymore... I think we are a society who just "expects" things to happen, no matter how horrendous they are. We may get upset about it - for a minute or two - but then just accept it as "the world we live in" and click the remote right past it to another one of the 500 channels we have to choose from these days!...

FLASHBACK!!.. Remember the good ole days... when we had 1 TV - color if you were lucky - with 3 channels and you actually had to GET UP to change the channel??? :eek: :)

Bad things just don't seem real anymore.... As an example, I vividly remember watching the "O.J. chase" and feeling as though I was watching a movie! I was totally detached from the fact that this man was being apprehended for the possible horrific murder of the mother of his own children - I remember wondering if he was going to "get away" or would they "catch him"!! I am ashamed to say that I was actually excited to see how it would turn out.. :o

Not all TV is bad... there are some really good educational shows on TV for both kids and adults; documentaries; and who doesn't enjoy a good sitcom or movie..? News channels are the worst... some things simply should not be televised. They are sensationalized and result is things like this:

Copy Cats that Kill

Threats of School Violence in Pennsylvania After Media Coverage of the Columbine High School Massacre

Spencer Kostinsky, MD, Edward Bixler, Ph.D., Paul Kettl, MD
    Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine, Vol 155 September 2001, 994-1001
    Available from Dr. Kettl at [email protected]

The media gives a lot of attention to school violence, and that attention can encourage more threats of violence, according to a study published in September 2001.

Threats of school violence have been rare in Pennsylvania, with estimates of one or two threats per year before the Columbine school killings in April 1999. But during the 50 days after the Columbine deaths, Pennsylvania school districts reported 354 threats of school violence.

The study would have been more persuasive if they actually had collected comparable statistics just before the killings, but the pattern of incidents afterwards are clear. None of the threats were made the day after Columbine, and most of the threats were made on or before day 10 after Columbine. Threats peaked approximately a week after the shootings, on days 8, 9, and 10.

The study also found that threats were more likely at schools with a greater proportion of white students and larger school enrollment. Threats were unrelated to other factors, such as size of classes, dropout rates, teacher salaries, or state assessment scores.

Concerns about "copy cat" violence are not new, but this study clearly shows that those concerns are justified. The findings are similar to earlier studies showing an increase in teen suicides after TV programs about teen suicide or news media coverage of a suicide. It is also important to note that the threats in Pennsylvania were widespread: of the 501 school districts, 172 reported at least one threat after Columbine.

The researchers focus on the implications for the media, suggesting that they not give so much attention to these violent incidents and that they avoid portraying perpetrators as counterculture heroes. The implications for teachers, school administrators and counselors, and parents are not so clear: should they talk to students about the incidents, or does that just give more attention to them? Unfortunately, this study can’t answer that important question, but common sense suggests the need to discuss violent incidents in a way that does not glorify them in any way.

Quote Originally Posted by tommywho70x
    I remember that viewpoint discussed during the Vietnam War and I agree wholeheartedly that it is a very real effect of the medium.

When the fictional offerings have so much gratuitous violence that is so much more vivid than any real war footage we get to see, the real stuff almost becomes boring and doesn't give the viewer that adrenalin rush they get from really intense cinematography.

You open a really putrid can of worms with the decapitation videos because those may have been American and Israeli agents doing the deed. I saw one of those myself and the guy looked like he was already dead at the beginning, he was wearing a prison jumpsuit and the Arabs didn't look or act like Arab terrorists. I saw a report from a physician who viewed it as well as a few military analysts that claimed it was faked.
    Well, OF COURSE it was Americans and Israelis chopping off heads...it's our thing. In fact, I would be surprised, nay, SHOCKED to find out that any Islamic terrorist had ever hurt anyone(cutting off heads...as if!). This is just like that whole WTC hoax. The poor innocent misunderstood Islamic terrorists get blamed for everything...how very, very wrong that is.

Television is the best tool for propaganda ever invented...Almost every network show contains not so thinly veiled shots at this administration and has for years. THEY decide what you can see or not according to thier political agenda...this is why you can see results of suicide bombings in Iraq but not the WTC footage of people jumping to their death.

I agree that your television should be killed...immediately.
    Last edited by pwrone; 10-18-2005 at 10:39 AM.

I will never understand the mass media's obsession with missing people.

Sure, it's tragic to the family and friends of those missing but there's no reason what so ever to put these stories in the national spot light and milk them to death to the point where they pretty much ignore anything else. (hint hint)

Up until hurricane Katrina hit, all those beauty babe talking heads would not shut up about that missing girl in Aruba.

WTF?

Quote Originally Posted by gar fla
    I will never understand the mass media's obsession with missing people.

Sure, it's tragic to the family and friends of those missing but there's no reason what so ever to put these stories in the national spot light and milk them to death to the point where they pretty much ignore anything else. (hint hint)

Up until hurricane Katrina hit, all those beauty babe talking heads would not shut up about that missing girl in Aruba.

WTF?

The American teenager gang-raped and murdered in Aruba? Her murderers freed to rape and murder again? Um...yeah....ssshhhhh

Quote Originally Posted by pwrone
    The American teenager gang-raped and murdered in Aruba? Her murderers freed to rape and murder again? Um...yeah....ssshhhhh
    I can see the point went over your head by a long shot.

Unfortunately, there are all kinds of sick nasty crimes being committed every day, several times a day.

Do you honestly think it makes sense to single out one case and talk about it 24/7, only rehashing the same details over and over and over again to the point where much more relevant stories affecting our lives are completely ignored???

I know...greta and the rest of them were obsessed by it. But that is what those shows do...find the most heinous thing they can and ride it to ground. Another reason to kill the TV.

coontie is offline Vashudeva; Ferryman - doing the work...

Kill T.V. Find switch... turn to left, or push remote power button... :cool:

My kids watch Nick Jr, Spongebob, and Teletubbies. My eldest (almost 7rs) will occasionally watch CNN with me, and Everyone Loves Raymond.
    When they watch Spongebob what are they learning on a subconcious level?
    Daily doses of watching Patrick being fooled by Spongebob and Squidword being mean to everyone must be teaching my kids that it's OK for Sea Sponges to take the piss out of Starfish, and all Squids are mean and deserve what's coming to them.

Haha

Seriously, I think it's easy to overanalyse every choice we make, including what people are watching on T.V
    If your sat in front of your T.V 24/7 that's your choice. What you watch is your choice. Coming to the conclusion that witnessing disasters or violence desensitizes people is not THE truth. It's not my truth. it doesn't take a lifetime of television to desensitize people, life does that to them more than anything they watch on T.V

I agree that T.V is an escape in some instances and I think that's a valid enough reason to sit and watch. Why not? Do we always have to be questioning and second guessing the simple pleasures in life?

coontie is offline Vashudeva; Ferryman - doing the work...

[QUOTE=Smashingplates]My kids watch Nick Jr, Spongebob, and Teletubbies. My eldest (almost 7rs) will occasionally watch CNN with me, and Everyone Loves Raymond.
    When they watch Spongebob what are they learning on a subconcious level?
    Daily doses of watching Patrick being fooled by Spongebob and Squidword being mean to everyone must be teaching my kids that it's OK for Sea Sponges to take the piss out of Starfish, and all Squids are mean and deserve what's coming to them.

Haha

S.P. tooooo funny!. Love it.... Sea creatures really have a harrowing,
    nerve-wracking life, don't they?
    I think there is some quality programming on T.V. To me it is found on
    P.B.S., Sundance films channel, Independent Films channel, National
    Geographic and other SELECTED media. Too bad, one has to buy
    cable or satellite t.v. to find the quality programs and get away
    from commercial media. Although some are allowing commercials
    on these television viewing configurations. Corporate greed AGAIN...
    I watch CNN and FOX News. Both REEK so much of corporate money.
    I find myself wondering where the limit is on the amount of commercial
    time aired v.s. media content. They ruin a lot of the media they are
    presenting by very frequent interruption with commercials and has
    everyone noticed that the volume is turned up at least fifty percent
    by the station when the commercials come on. Also, addition of all
    the annoying noises intentional added to attempt to force one to
    watch their tasteless, skillless tripe.
    Fox News is so ulta-conservatitive right wing agenda oriented that it
    is scary. I wonder what kind of weird, strange perversions a lot of
    these big brother types are into?
    Anyhow, I don't pay any one else's electric bill or buy their t.v., or
    pay for the space where it is installed, so who am I to tell someone
    else what they should and shouldn't watch.
    I don't have any young children so I don't have to be concerned with
    monitoring programming. However, it does seem very wise to know
    what media the younger ones are watching, for those that have them
    in the home, as these young minds are like computer hard-drives and
    CD ROMS; they will readily soak up, store immediately and directly
    alll that is presented to them, which will guide them to a great extent
    for the remainder of their life. It is only as we get older that we come
    to know, if not programmed otherwise, that we can discern reality from
    otherwise presented material and choose not to behave, act in the manner
    that is suggested by the characters of t.v. magazines, radio and books.
    Thanks...

It is only as we get older that we come
    to know, if not programmed otherwise, that we can discern reality from
    otherwise presented material and choose not to behave, act in the manner
    that is suggested by the characters of t.v. magazines, radio and books.
    Thanks...

I agree with that. And earlier in your post you said:

I don't have any young children so I don't have to be concerned with
    monitoring programming. However, it does seem very wise to know
    what media the younger ones are watching, for those that have them
    in the home, as these young minds are like computer hard-drives and
    CD ROMS; they will readily soak up, store immediately and directly
    alll that is presented to them, which will guide them to a great extent
    for the remainder of their life

That's exactly how I feel too. I do understand that some parents don't give a crap what their kids are watching, while others may choose what they view unwisely, but as a self-proclaimed great/crap parent I think as long as you keep your eye on the ball your kids won't be damaged by the stuff they watch (infrequently, one hopes) that is not ideal.

I hate being super picky about what people watch, but I have to tell you about this because it still horrifies me:

My eldest son used to go play at his buddies house after school a few days a week until I learned that my son had been playing a video game called Halo, Hago? Something like that. It's a pretty graphic shoot em up kind of game for adults. I asked his buddies Mom to not let my son play and she respected that only now he wasn't playing he was just watching? :confused:
    Well his little friend (6yrs old by the way) not only played violent video games but has watched numerous times movies that I haven't even seen 'Dawn of the Dead' and 'Universal Soldier' are two I remember him talking about in very graphic detail, and acting out ALL THE TIME when he was at my house.

Their friendship came to an end not because of the video games and movies though, (for quite a while I tried to work it so they were at my house only) it was because the little guy beat the crap out of my son when they were in our yard and when I tried to calm the situation down he was shrieking stuff about being the boss and shooting ME in the head when he joins the marines!

Why can't kids just play Lego these days, lol
    Last edited by Smashingplates; 10-19-2005 at 11:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Smashingplates
    My kids watch Nick Jr, Spongebob, and Teletubbies.
    Theres something about those Teletubbies that weirds me out. They're too freaky.

It's almost like they're brain washing kids with unconscious drug messages.