+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Science... who needs it?

Yet another case of religion denying science and just as silly as the creationist museum with dino playing with the kids.

A Saudi cleric has appeared in a recent video rejecting the fact that the Earth revolves around the Sun and claiming the opposite holds true, prompting a wave of social media remarks.

Answering a student question on whether the Earth is stationary or moving, Sheikh Bandar al-Khaibari replied: "stationary and does not move."

He then attempted to support his argument by quoting some clerics and selected religious statements. But his most controversial method to debunk the rotation theory was a "logical" deduction in which he used a visual.

“First of all, where are we now? we go to Sharjah airport to travel to China by plane, clear?! focus with me, this is Earth;” he said, holding a sealed water cup.

He argued that if a plane stops still in air “China would be coming towards it” in case the Earth rotates on one direction. It the Earth rotates on opposite direction, the plane would never reach China, because “China is also rotating.”

In separate statements Sheikh al-Khaibari said man never went to the moon, rejecting NASA’s lunar excursion video as Hollywood fabrication.

The video of the sheikh triggered a wave of controversial remarks on social media, especially on Twitter, where a special hashtag is being widely circulated. The hashtag translates as: "#cleric_rejects_rotation_of_Earth

In an interesting remark, one user tweeted: "What a coincidence that this would occur on Galileo's birthday!"
    http://english.alarabiya.net/en/vari...ary-Earth.html

Re: Science... who needs it?

Religious delusions are fascinating...

KTF...;-)
    As long as it is acceptable for a person to beLIEve that he knows how god wants everyone on Earth to live, we will continue to murder one another on account of our myths. ~ Sam Harris, 'The End Of Faith'
    ~~~~~
    Christianity demands the crucifixion of the intellect.
    ~ Susan Kierkegaard

Amazing! :crazy1:

Here is a longer and more complete version of the video:

When I first saw this post this morning, I was actually at the airport, waiting to board my flight. This gave me ample opportunity to test the theories of the esteemed Mr Bandar Al-Khaybari.

As it happened, I travelled from west to east. If the earth was revolving, my destination would move away from me and I would never reach it, according to Mr Bandar Al-Khaybari. But... I actually reached my destination, which is evident by the fact that I'm typing this from my hotel right now.

Conclusion: He is right! The earth doesn't move! It's proven! :

I'll fly home tomorrow, which will give me an opportunity to verify my observations.
    I'll keep you posted!
    Last edited by Kelderek; 02-18-2015 at 02:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PeggieSue View Post
    A positive to take from this is at least this cleric is thinking about science. If given the chance he can learn and be educated.

Possibly this being put out in social media opened his eyes to all he does not know.
    I seriously doubt he pays any attention to social media... or the Internet in general... :

Even if he wanted to, the Internet is heavily censored in Saudi Arabia.
    This is what happens if you try to access a Wikipedia article about "evolution" in Saudi Arabia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Censors...Censorship.png

Religious delusion and IGNOREance at its finest.

If its not in the Quran it must be false...he sounds like another Ken Ham idiot.
    As long as it is acceptable for a person to beLIEve that he knows how god wants everyone on Earth to live, we will continue to murder one another on account of our myths. ~ Sam Harris, 'The End Of Faith'
    ~~~~~
    ~ Susan Kierkegaard

What, no faith filled rants from jhokey or noagenda?

What gives?!

:blunt:
    ~~~~~
    ~ Susan Kierkegaard

i wonder how you would ACTUALLY PROVE to the average person that the earth is MOVING!? maybe science is LYING!? i mean science CANT even CURE the common cold!? lol...:rotz: :crazy1: :spin2: ing1:
    i do not endorse/recommend any advertising on scam.com associated with my name /posts or otherwise. thank you

Tommy confuses true SCIENCE with his political agenda

No Carl, I don't confuse science with any agenda. I do however laugh my ass off when some dumb-ass Muslim says the sun revolves around the earth. I'm pretty sure some smart guy got his fingernails pulled out by the church of Rome for daring to dispute that fact at some point in our past. Much more recent, i head another dumb-ass say the earth and man were 6,000 years old. What a ing moron. Who was that? Oh yes, it was you!

Much more recent, i head another dumb-ass say the earth and man were 6,000 years old. What a ing moron. Who was that? Oh yes, it was you!
    Well since that is NOT my belief, I challenge you to produce the quote. I have no idea how old the earth is. You don't either.

So go ahead and try to produce the quote where I said the earth is 6000 years old

I predict you'll change the subject with every post when you find you cannot. That's how you have always done it in the past.

Tommy confuses true SCIENCE with his political agenda
    Here I was referring to your FAITH in the THEORIES of evolution and Global Warming. As much as you evangelize those messages, they are only pet THEORIES of the Statists.

Well since that is NOT my belief, I challenge you to produce the quote. I have no idea how old the earth is. You don't either.

So go ahead and try to produce the quote where I said the earth is 6000 years old

I predict you'll change the subject with every post when you find you cannot. That's how you have always done it in the past.
    I stand corrected. It was Man you said was 6000 years old.

And I never cut and run like you. Hell you change user names you run and dodge so fast.

She me a quote about my faith in global warming? Or evolution for that matter. Don't cut and run and please don't change users yet again. I'd hate to see you cry.

By the way, was your name in the first KKK list? I saw a few Carls.

By the way, was your name in the first KKK list?
    THIS is the childish crap you do that is the reason I ignore your posts. If you want responses from me, show respect. Otherwise you'll not get responses. You choose how w you treat others. YOU determine the responses you get. It's on YOU.

Yes. God created Man 6000 years ago. There were other creatures before Adam, but Adam was a unique creation. He was the first whom God breathed into him the Spirit of Man.

Nobody knows how old the earth is. Some Christians misinterpret the first two verses of the Bible. If the Religion Forum wasn't destroyed, I'd explain it down there but not in its current polluted state.

THIS is the childish crap you do that is the reason I ignore your posts. If you want responses from me, show respect. Otherwise you'll not get responses. You choose how w you treat others. YOU determine the responses you get. It's on YOU.

Carl you agree to quit the insults then so will I. But you also have to agree to quit making statements and then disappearing when presented with opposing views and facts. I welcome debates in politics and religion.