+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Religion and its place in the development of a society

This forum has been used as a platform to discuss religion typically in a negative light. To deconstruct it if you will. Many have viewed religion as the bane to the evolution and development of society and culture. That the eventual elimination of the practice through "education and persuasion" to ultimately reach a fully secular view.

My view is that religion has been in the forefront in progressively advancing society and addressing issues like poverty and social justice. Gandhi, Martin Luther King Jr.,Pope John Paul, and Desmund Tutu to name a few. Obviously it has also been used to separate, and in many cases, been a stifling to social progress.

Here is an interesting article which in my mind gets to the core:

http://www.crop.org/Scientific-Portf...l-Justice.aspx

The reasons for why this is so are complex and manifold. One reason might be that the academic discourses within Western social science have been too focused on the ‘secular-paradigm’; e.g. problems expected to be solved around the world have been targeted from the (rational) spheres of politics and law. In addition, the perception that religion would (will) vanish as cultures and societies progress and modernize has obscured the reality that people actually are religious and that religion actually matters and will not go away. Another ‘problem’ of historic character is the fact that much of the efforts directed at ‘helping the poor’ have been undertaken by religious actors with a seemingly ‘double’ agenda; where missionary efforts have gone hand in hand with development related work. In a postcolonial context the questions surrounding the motives of the development-actors have caused quite a few problems, which have led to tensions between secularly and religiously based development-groups which again have been reflected in distrust and suspicion between them.
    In my opinion religion will always be here. It is an integral part of society. it is part of who we are and we will not "evolve" out of it.

Re: Religion and its place in the development of a society

Quote Originally Posted by noagenda View Post
    This forum has been used as a platform to discuss religion typically in a negative light. To deconstruct it if you will. Many have viewed religion as the bane to the evolution and development of society and culture. That the eventual elimination of the practice through "education and persuasion" to ultimately reach a fully secular view.

My view is that religion has been in the forefront in progressively advancing society and addressing issues like poverty and social justice. Gandhi, Martin Luther King Jr.,Pope John Paul, and Desmund Tutu to name a few. Obviously it has also been used to separate, and in many cases, been a stifling to social progress.

In my opinion religion will always be here. It is an integral part of society. it is part of who we are and we will not "evolve" out of it.
    So, who's gaaawd is the right gaaawd, and are u willing to die for your cause?

If you aren't, the other guy likely is...

Strap on your guns.:2gunsfiring_v1:

Who to 'believe'...?

Last edited by ohein56; 02-13-2015 at 05:15 PM.
    As long as it is acceptable for a person to beLIEve that he knows how god wants everyone on Earth to live, we will continue to murder one another on account of our myths. ~ Sam Harris, 'The End Of Faith'
    ~~~~~
    Christianity demands the crucifixion of the intellect.
    ~ Susan Kierkegaard

Originally Posted by nomaxim
    Sorry there ''ohein56', but it appears that 'Joecool44' does not have the position that you envision on this topic.

'Joecool44' has, as a matter of routine, refuted most of your accusations
    Quote Originally Posted by Jax74 View Post
    Some people have the ability to think critically, some do not. ohein obviously doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Joecool44 View Post
    Is this all you do, is post mindless memes? I doubt you even understand what you're posting! What a load of delusional crap!

Last edited by ohein56; 02-16-2015 at 09:48 AM.
    As long as it is acceptable for a person to beLIEve that he knows how god wants everyone on Earth to live, we will continue to murder one another on account of our myths. ~ Sam Harris, 'The End Of Faith'
    ~~~~~
    ~ Susan Kierkegaard

~~~~~
    ~ Susan Kierkegaard

Quote Originally Posted by Joecool44 View Post
    Yep!!

~~~~~
    ~ Susan Kierkegaard

I agree that the morality taught by religions have been the foundation of many laws. I don't think that a nation founded by atheists or agnostics would be any less moral though.

Quote Originally Posted by tomInAustin View Post
    I agree that the morality taught by religions have been the foundation of many laws. I don't think that a nation founded by atheists or agnostics would be any less moral though.
    Morality certainly isn't the exclusive domain of religion. I do think religious leaders can move more people towards social progress willingly and sooner than secular leaders. Gay marriage though may be an exception to that rule.

I recall from my Sociology 101 days... (way back when *lol*) that religion, more specifically Monotheistic religion based upon a god in spirit or invisible form served a specific purpose, especially in it's relation to the nomadic peoples that populated the Fertile Crescent area of the Middle East. This god was not based upon a specific geographic location... he traveled with 'his people'. His authority/power did not disappear if 'his people' were conquered. There was no 'god' for the conquering forces to "carry away". Also, his mobility and invisibility enabled his 'spokesmen' to wield more stable power over the societal group. His death or execution could not stifle the god's power either as another leader simply had to pick up the leadership mantle in the 'god's'name... continuity of authority based upon divine right.
    Long story short... all being a part of laying the foundations for Western societal development.

Last edited by PaulM; 02-16-2015 at 07:10 PM.

So, did Hitler have the right idea?

According to the bible he did...

~~~~~
    ~ Susan Kierkegaard

In other words, religion and politics are a bad mix, no matter how you slice it....unless you're into totalitarianism, then religion and politics is the bomb!....:crazy1:

Last edited by ohein56; 02-20-2015 at 10:52 AM.
    ~~~~~
    ~ Susan Kierkegaard

~~~~~
    ~ Susan Kierkegaard

You really want more of this?!!

Then heaven help us!:crazy1:
    ~~~~~
    ~ Susan Kierkegaard

Quote Originally Posted by ohein56 View Post
    In other words, religion and politics are a bad mix, no matter how you slice it....unless you're into totalitarianism, then religion and politics is the bomb!....:crazy1:
    Politics in its own right can be a religion. Stalin and Mao formed totalitarian states based on the government as their "God". Man will come and go but "the State" will go on. There was no room for churches within these institutions to compete with their subjects "loyalties". A deity has no place in such societies. Governments with true democratic principles understand the symbiotic nature of religion and the free practice of it, with politics in the establishment of a truly free and progressive society. It is the mistrust between secularism and religion that inhibits growth. The omission of either is what actually creates totalitarianism.

Politics in its own right can be a religion.
    Lighting your farts while watching Sponge-Bob Square-pants can be a 'religion' too, just ask jhokey......so...??!

Stalin and Mao formed totalitarian states based on the government as their "God". Man will come and go but "the State" will go on. There was no room for churches within these institutions to compete with their subjects "loyalties".
    In my opinion, they wanted to be 'gods' themselves...

A deity has no place in such societies. Governments with true democratic principles understand the symbiotic nature of religion and the free practice of it, with politics in the establishment of a truly free and progressive society. It is the mistrust between secularism and religion that inhibits growth. The omission of either is what actually creates totalitarianism.
    Excellent video about this...

~~~~~
    ~ Susan Kierkegaard

Quote Originally Posted by ohein56 View Post
    Lighting your farts while watching Sponge-Bob Square-pants can be a 'religion' too, just ask jhokey......so...??!

In my opinion, they wanted to be 'gods' themselves...
    You didn't understand what noagenda was saying apparently.
    Originally Posted by nomaxim
    Sorry there ''ohein56', but it appears that 'Joecool44' does not have the position that you envision on this topic.

'Joecool44' has, as a matter of routine, refuted most of your accusations
    Quote Originally Posted by Jax74 View Post
    Some people have the ability to think critically, some do not. ohein obviously doesn't.