+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Do You Ever Give to Those Standing On the Side of the Road Asking for Help?

Quote Originally Posted by noagenda View Post
    I'm sure your intent is pure BM. The thread title requires you to share your experience. It is a clear example of selfless love and I'm sure the experience was and is forever gratifying. One of the side benefits of true charity. I hope the real benefit of your effort comes when the recipient can take what you have given and pay it forward.

I hope they can position themselves in the future to do just that....or at the very least keep themselves from jumping right back into the same hole they were dug out of.

Something that opened my eyes a little bit some years back was a book called Nickel and Dimed by Barbara Ehrenreich.

CLICK HERE for the Wikipedia page covering the book.

Very good read, if anyone has the inclination and a library nearby that carries it. Her words struck me so hard that I think about her everytime I'm out with family or friends, every time I go to convenience stores or to a movie, etc.

The thing to realize in all situations is that everyone has a story. Everyone has needs, and everyone IS important no matter what they or the situation looks like. If the tables were turned again, and I and the family were in need, I like to think that there are good people out there willing to help where possible, even though I didn't find that to be the case in my particular situation years ago.....though that may have been ignorance of what all was out there or a lack of perspective on my part as well.....

no cant recall i have ever given money serious money maybe nickles an dimes here and there when approached by people in need/want!? interesting book mentioned "nickled and dimed" in which this statement appears......"When someone works for less pay than she can live on ... she has made a great sacrifice for you .... The "working poor" ... are in fact the major philanthropists of our society. They neglect their own children so that the children of others will be cared for; they live in substandard housing so that other homes will be shiny and perfect; they endure privation so that inflation will be low and stock prices high. To be a member of the working poor is to be an anonymous donor, a nameless benefactor, to everyone"...........:1crysad:: :freak3::
    i do not endorse/recommend any advertising on scam.com associated with my name /posts or otherwise. thank you

the man THING...mostly easy to help women and children, especially if they are docile and begging!? hard to help healthy looking males or obstinate kids or women!? and then there's the panhandlers are RICH stories!? size of the community also plays into it!? the smaller the community the easier it is to want to help!? or anonymous causes of charity!? easier to contribute based on generic pleas and promises!? and the gov excuse if welfare programs exist, let them take care of it!? but that is a political nightmare!? so cutbacks happen!? then beggars appear who are also on welfare!? a bad economy permits some generosity at first but soon wanes!? resources get overtaxed!? the mood becomes restraint!? but in fact any such conditions to make people change their ways only POSITIVELY effects the weak.............it kills them!? either forcefully or from self defeat!? we can divide people who need help into 2 groups!? those who need TIMELY TEMPORARY help due to life's adversity's and those that need PERMANENT help due to whats called disability!? from an economic profitabilty standpoint BOTH are a DRAG/HIT on PROFITS and DISPOSABLE income!? at least in the first case there is an expectation of RETURNS on investment as its called!? its funny listening to the stories on this thread 1 could almost get the feeling that personal charity events are a selfish act to gain the reward of a good feeling!? while anonymous donations to a cause are less satisfying and more of a duty!? i wonder what percentage of people actually VOLUNTARILY ever give anything to anyone outside of FAMILY!? and what was that story from scripture about giving at the synagogue!? the poor woman gave ALL she had but wealthy gave a pittance!? so TAX em ALL to make it fair and easy!? sounds like a plan.......::spin2::smurf::chicken:
    i do not endorse/recommend any advertising on scam.com associated with my name /posts or otherwise. thank you

i think i forgot to include another factor about GOV and social programs in the sense that how much of the budget do they take up and what other programs SUFFER as a result of it!? the first to come to mind is DEFENSE or MILITARY!? in that regard some consideration must be given to what our ENEMIES are doing in their respective countries!? if they neglect the poor/disabled/aged and build up their military are we committing suicide by preferring social programs to military 1's!? you might think that the PRIVATE BUSINESSes that SUPPLY the military would take PAY CUTS so as to preserve the social programs!? i mean our military in a way is a PUBLIC SERVICE!? why should anybody PROFIT RICHLY off of CIVIC DUTY!? its like saying i wont fight/WORK for my country UNLESS i get PAID ENOUGH!? and what if solders became UNIONIZED!? and dont forget the huge cost of the WOUNDED WARRIORS!? i mean its OBVIOUS that EVERYTHING CANT be paid for and done well and stay in BUDGET!? but the MAJOR conflict of interest is between social and military government operations!? and if you listen to many right wing proposers ALL gov sponsored social programs should be ELIMINATED!? even help for unplanned PREGNANCIES!? i know someone mentioned single mothers need the most help!? as if they are VICTIMS of a sort!? and some or many could be!? i have heard the term AT RISK used for kids not making the grade so to speak which tends to make them antisocial and even maybe terrorists!? do these predominately come from single mom situations!? seems to me we have an ongoing crisis both internally and externally and so far only money has prevented either from exploding!? the problem is it has amounted to massive debt!? sooner or later HARD CHOICES must be made or DEBT should be IGNORED!? ing1: :errr: :spin2: :

In my town, there was a huge expose on a group of people who stand outside a few of the large retailers asking for money, claiming to be homeless. They were followed one day, back to their SUV and their apartment. When the news interviewed them, they said they do it because, on a good day, they can get between $200-$300. Why work when they can clear over $1000 a week, tax-free? They were completely shameless and quite proud of themselves. They disappeared for a couple months, but now that it is starting to get cold again, the same people are back out there, pretending to be homeless and asking for money. So I don't give cash to people on the street. I donate to charities that I trust.