+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

tommywho70x Guest

Murder Rate Hits 40-Year Low

Before the the Pom-Pom girlz start applauding dubya and HPA Ready.GOV, the analysts credit 'local rather than national trends' for the drop.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Murder Rate Hits 40-Year Low By MICHAEL J. SNIFFEN, Associated Press Writer
    51 minutes ago

WASHINGTON - The nation's murder rate declined last year for the first time in four years, dropping to the lowest level in 40 years. Experts said local rather than national trends were mostly responsible.
    The rates for all seven major crimes were down and the overall violent crime rate reached a 30-year low, according to the FBI's annual compilation of crimes reported to the police.

There were 391 fewer murders nationwide in 2004 than the year before. The total of 16,137 worked out to 5.5 murders for every 100,000 people.

That's a decline of 3.3 percent from 2003 and the lowest murder rate since 1965, when it was 5.1.

"The declines are relatively small compared to larger, steady drops in the 1990s, and the results are by no means the same across the country," said Professor Alfred Blumstein of Carnegie-Mellon University in Pittsburgh.

"We're not seeing important national trends like the shrinking of crack markets in the 1990s," Blumstein added. "These are responses to local situations, changes in local drug markets and shifts in gangs."

Blumstein said Chicago with a decline of 150 murders and Washington, D.C., with a decline of 50 accounted for 51 percent of the net nationwide drop. St. Louis, on the other hand, saw an increase of 39 murders.

Of 19 large cities with more than 100 murders apiece in 2003, 13 had declines in 2004 while six recorded increases, Blumstein said.

"Most of these changes result from local conditions or random variation," said Professor James Alan Fox of Northeastern University in Boston. The fastest growing population segment is still people over age 50, who commit few violent crimes, so that should produce some decline in murder, but "it's not a rosy picture all around the country."

"The best news is that there's no national increase despite reasons — like economic conditions — why it could rise," Fox added. Other reasons he cited were growing gang violence in some cities, local law enforcement budget cuts and a shift of federal law enforcement aid from local police hiring to homeland security.

"It would be easy to look at these numbers and get too complacent about crime," Fox said. "That would be a mistake."

The four major violent crimes — murder, rape, robbery and aggravated assaults — declined from 1.38 million in 2003 to 1.37 million in 2004. That produced a 2.2 percent drop in the violent crime rate to 465.5 crimes per 100,000 people — the lowest since 1974, when it was 461.1.

The three major property crimes — burglary, auto theft and larceny-theft — declined from 10.42 million to 10.33 million in 2004. That pulled the property crime rate down 2.1 percent to 3,517.1 crimes per 100,000 people. These crimes produced an estimated loss of $16.1 billion, down 5 percent from 2003.

Chicago officials and academics have credited that city's murder decline to police targeting of gangs, drugs and guns. Blumstein said a program that recruited "ex-offenders to go out into the community to gain intelligence" had helped police flood neighborhoods where trouble might be brewing. By contrast, he said, St. Louis' increase might have been a return to normal trends after a better-than-average year. (better exploitation of snitches and stool pigeons that more often than not become a murder statistic)

The South — with 36 percent of the nation's population but 43 percent of its murders — saw larger murder declines than any other region. The Southern regional murder rate declined 5 percent to 6.6 per 100,000.

Blumstein said that might have been driven by declines in Atlanta; Memphis, Tenn., and New Orleans, each with over 100 murders in 2003, or "it might mean the South is becoming more like the rest of the country."

Rape was the only one of the seven crimes to show a numerical increase, up 0.8 percent to 94,635 offenses, but the rate of rape declined 0.2 percent to 32.2 per 100,000 people. Lynn Parish of the Rape, Abuse & Incest Network, a national anti-sexual assault group, said Justice Department studies show the incidence of rape, whether reported to police or not, has been declining over 30 years while reporting of rape to police has climbed for a decade.

The FBI data were compiled from reports to more than 17,000 law enforcement agencies, representing 94.2 percent of the nation's population. The Justice Department has found that barely half of all violent crimes and less than 40 percent of property crimes are reported to the police, but its surveys of crime victims, which also track unreported crimes, show trends similar to those among the reported crimes tracked by the FBI.

___

On the Net:

Crime in the United States 2004: http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/cius_04/documents/CIUS2004.pdf

Crime statistics for cities with populations above 10,000:

http://wid.ap.org/documents/fbi/ucr2004citylist.pdf

Copyright © 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. The information contained in the AP News report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press.

Copyright © 2005 Yahoo! Inc. All rights reserved.
    Questions or Comments
    Privacy Policy -Terms of Service - Copyright/IP Policy - Ad Feedback
    Last edited by Sviat; 07-03-2016 at 11:53 AM.

Re: Murder Rate Hits 40-Year Low

Interesting article Tommy.

Thanks Tommy, interesting read.

I have spent one year living in the United States

I have been threatend with physical violence by a 300lb bloke because I was served at a deli counter before him.
    I have experienced two really frightening driving experiences. First one, light turned green and I went but apparently not fast enough for the guy behind me who drove up beside me, cussed me out and then proceeded to harrass me for about 5 miles, swerving towards me, overtaking then slamming the breaks on, and literally trying to make me drive me off an embankment.
    2nd time I was followed by a guy (I believe I saw him first at the mall I was in earlier) who got my attention at each red light by telling me what he was planning to do with me. I drove straight to the police station because I was afraid to drive home and have him know exactly where I lived. Hey, I'm not a complete idiot.

Those are the most serious incidences I have had here but there have been other things that have happened which have further convinced me that if anything bad is going to happen to me it will be here in the U.S.A

Fear. I rarely felt that living in Europe for over 30 yrs. Sure, I had a few close calls but I never ever felt that I was in danger.

I suggest you get a gun and a carry permit and learn how to use it. No one should have to live in fear here...Most people never experience those things. Do you live in a high crime area? There are a lot of places where that would never happen.

tommywho70x Guest

Smashingplates, before you follow the advice of an under-medicated, delusional, sun-baked Palm Springs school marm, realize that nearly 3/4 of the people who purchase handguns for protection whose guns end up getting discharged while aimed at a human have those guns injure or kill a family member either by accident or a fit of domestic rage. It is also not unusual for those guns to be taken away and turned on their owners.

It is rare for new gun owners to successfully protect themselves from attack -- the people you hear about who do that are usually trained armed service people, experienced hunters or target shooters.

It is much more common for something to happen like that Houston momma who bought a .32 auto for protection and her 5-year old son shot her 2-year old son with it a few months back.

Gas canisters and electronic stun guns are far less likely to cause an accidental injury or fatality in your family if you feel that you need protection.

They are also a whole lot easier to use and you are less likely to freeze in that critical moment knowing that you are not using lethal force.

Jingoistic boobs talk tough real convincingly when it is all hypothetical; when actually confronted with a do or die situation, they are far more likely to have an attack of instant incontinence than draw down and put a magazine load in the kill zone of an attacker.

You couldn't possibly live in an unusually high crime area if that is the worst exposure you've had in a year here. The ladies at the malls in Boca Raton (an upscale Ft. Liquordale suburb) regularly get car-jacked, held up for their jewelry and forced to make large withdrawals from the ATMs.

Your reaction to the (apparently) would-be rapist was the correct one. Go to the police and let them perform their duty to Protect and Serve

Don't get sucked into idiotic fantasies of a keyboard commando.

Quote Originally Posted by tommywho70x
    Smashingplates, before you follow the advice of an under-medicated, delusional, sun-baked Palm Springs school marm, realize that nearly 3/4 of the people who purchase handguns for protection whose guns end up getting discharged while aimed at a human have those guns injure or kill a family member either by accident or a fit of domestic rage. It is also not unusual for those guns to be taken away and turned on their owners.

It is rare for new gun owners to successfully protect themselves from attack -- the people you hear about who do that are usually trained armed service people, experienced hunters or target shooters.

It is much more common for something to happen like that Houston momma who bought a .32 auto for protection and her 5-year old son shot her 2-year old son with it a few months back.

Gas canisters and electronic stun guns are far less likely to cause an accidental injury or fatality in your family if you feel that you need protection.

They are also a whole lot easier to use and you are less likely to freeze in that critical moment knowing that you are not using lethal force.

Jingoistic boobs talk tough real convincingly when it is all hypothetical; when actually confronted with a do or die situation, they are far more likely to have an attack of instant incontinence than draw down and put a magazine load in the kill zone of an attacker.

You couldn't possibly live in an unusually high crime area if that is the worst exposure you've had in a year here. The ladies at the malls in Boca Raton (an upscale Ft. Liquordale suburb) regularly get car-jacked, held up for their jewelry and forced to make large withdrawals from the ATMs.

Your reaction to the (apparently) would-be rapist was the correct one. Go to the police and let them perform their duty to Protect and Serve

Don't get sucked into idiotic fantasies of a keyboard commando.

Lets just say that t70 isn't 'into' protecting anyone...don't take the advice of someone who would walk( or run) away from you if you were in trouble. Gun ownership gives many women a sense of empowerment and reduces the helpless feeling that many victims experience. I would never recommend anyone shooting someone if there are any other options...owning a gun is not at all the same as shooting a human being...

tommywho70x Guest

Quote Originally Posted by pwrone
    Lets just say that t70 isn't 'into' protecting anyone...don't take the advice of someone who would walk( or run) away from you if you were in trouble. Gun ownership gives many women a sense of empowerment and reduces the helpless feeling that many victims experience. I would never recommend anyone shooting someone if there are any other options...owning a gun is not at all the same as shooting a human being...
    Let's just say that t70 has prevented harm from coming to a lot more people than you have ever even fantasized about you dipstick.

Refute the information, don't try to denigrate me.

You are a mother-fvcking coward behind a console that would piss your pants if you ever were in some of the situations I have been in.

You are a liar and a spreader of misinformation and I'll thank you not to make false assumptions about who or what I am or what I would or would not do in one of your hallucinatory hypothetical situations that managed to manifest in a real-time scenario.

You have never been there. You have probably never seen anybody die and I am certain that you have never actually prevented a rape or murder or had anybody die in your arms.

Fvck off asswipe and go crawl back under your rock and pull your pecker some more.

Quote Originally Posted by tommywho70x
    Let's just say that t70 has prevented harm from coming to a lot more people than you have ever even fantasized about you dipstick.

Refute the information, don't try to denigrate me.

You are a mother-fvcking coward behind a console that would piss your pants if you ever were in some of the situations I have been in.

You are a liar and a spreader of misinformation and I'll thank you not to make false assumptions about who or what I am or what I would or would not do in one of your hallucinatory hypothetical situations that managed to manifest in a real-time scenario.

You have never been there. You have probably never seen anybody die and I am certain that you have never actually prevented a rape or murder or had anybody die in your arms.

Fvck off asswipe and go crawl back under your rock and pull your pecker some more.
    Please do not inflate your history any more than you have...you have now 'evolved' into a one man killing machine/super-hero in the space of a month. You don't 'talk the talk' or walk it either...what you are good at(sort of) is calling names. In your world, gun ownership is wrong...how can you even weigh in on this topic?
    Last edited by pwrone; 10-18-2005 at 10:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Smashingplates
    Thanks Tommy, interesting read.

I have spent one year living in the United States

I have been threatend with physical violence by a 300lb bloke because I was served at a deli counter before him.
    I have experienced two really frightening driving experiences. First one, light turned green and I went but apparently not fast enough for the guy behind me who drove up beside me, cussed me out and then proceeded to harrass me for about 5 miles, swerving towards me, overtaking then slamming the breaks on, and literally trying to make me drive me off an embankment.
    2nd time I was followed by a guy (I believe I saw him first at the mall I was in earlier) who got my attention at each red light by telling me what he was planning to do with me. I drove straight to the police station because I was afraid to drive home and have him know exactly where I lived. Hey, I'm not a complete idiot.

Those are the most serious incidences I have had here but there have been other things that have happened which have further convinced me that if anything bad is going to happen to me it will be here in the U.S.A

Fear. I rarely felt that living in Europe for over 30 yrs. Sure, I had a few close calls but I never ever felt that I was in danger.
    While the testerone twins hash it out over head I'll address your situation...

Don't you live in New York? Or did you say San Francisco once? I can't remember. :eek: Location can have a lot to do with the amount of violence one experiences.

Carrying a gun is not always the best option. But a cell phone is a great idea with 911 on speed dial.

Namaste'

Lady Mod

Hi SP...

I am sorry to hear of your experiences and I hope this doesn't sour your experience living here... there are a lot of nut-cases out there and you've had the sorry luck to meet up with some.
    As a good friend of mine once said "... Having a gun is one thing. Having the will to use it is another. Under no circumstances should you point a gun at someone unless you intend to use it... otherwise... it is useless." To complicate matters... escalating a situation to the level of 'deadly force' can land the person seeking to defend themselves in a world of hurt... legally.
    Tommy and SJA had some excellent advice. If you feel the need... go with what you are most comfortable with from a non-lethal perspective.

This is NOT a good day... just discoverred we have an injured horse & I'm waiting for the Vet to arrive. It's, sorta, minor... but it promises to be a real pain in the back-side... sliced heel tissue & it may have to be removed.

cheers,
    Paul
    Last edited by PaulM; 10-18-2005 at 11:16 AM.

tommywho70x Guest

Killing is something I have never done and my dogs, myself and the people i socialize with prevent more violence, provide first-on-scene medical care, free food, clothing, housewares, transportation, and funding for more people than many larger charity organizations.

Perhaps you could attempt to address the points against carrying and for alternative measures, among which as 'RecommedBy:)>>SJA LOL!'(1)<<

'Pre-Set[Ph]x-090101*#' in pocket or purse is rated: "AuAuXLNT.XLS(WEB.I.D.E.A.)"

Otherwise, the tenor of debate that you relish is repugnant to me and I decline to further diminish my own self esteem to exchange insults and innuendo with you.

I am not seeking confrontation and agressive debate on these boards. Sharing media and ideas in a friendly, respectful, safe, roundtable conferencing environment is more my style.

You are neither friendly or respectful; you post flame bait and then flash bak aggressively. You are a sniveling, spiteful hyperclass A++lame freak with a web remote

No Thank You! Goodbye from AOL! Click from PRODIGY! WARNING from MSN! Access disallowed At&tWorldNet WURD Abuse\helpdesk*.desklink [PEOPLE]voices.
    IBM Research PartnerWorld WebSphere eBIOS [Repairs] eServers [crashes]1voice1.voc
    [backups]C:\Mybackup.qic Untitled1 Welcome to Microsoft Backup! provided by www.seagatesoftware.com Unknown108 Start Job Title File Date Author Anonymous FTP ZCastX1ExecUTe=???.CHK[v4.]

I heartily recommend that your check your own personal policy and possibly explore http://www.welcomehome.org / (CISCO - AOL - CompuServe - Netscape - MSN - Tips)

We (me &My Computer) [Preferences]prefer not to be associated with you.

You don't like my last post? Here is what I was responding to, from you, when you 'disagreed' with my previous comment:
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxx
    under-medicated, delusional, sun-baked Palm Springs school marm,
    Jingoistic boobs
    far more likely to have an attack of instant incontinence
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxx

You are simply incapable of making a point without throwing insults...
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

This is patently misleading...I suggested that she find a lower crime area, such as MANY that I have lived in, where those kinds of things do not happen. You are misleading her by implying that there are no such areas.

Quote Originally Posted by pwrone
    You don't like my last post? Here is what I was responding to, from you, when you 'disagreed' with my previous comment:
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxx
    under-medicated, delusional, sun-baked Palm Springs school marm,
    Jingoistic boobs
    far more likely to have an attack of instant incontinence
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxx

You are simply incapable of making a point without throwing insults...
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

This is patently misleading...I suggested that she find a lower crime area, such as MANY that I have lived in, where those kinds of things do not happen. You are misleading her by implying that there are no such areas.
    I don't believe the thread is about you, pwrone.

LM

tommywho70x Guest

https : / / dx-worldradio.dll / angelfire.com / ok / tripod / easel / pbrush / pbucket /plink #Alt + Print [Printers][Modems]LPT1-60%VxD ---.[Bitmaps]%%

qsaccNZCastX1ExecExe[CUTE FTP DIR /p /w .~??](CURRENT/?;)4Directions???.CHK
    ¬
    ¬
    ¬
    ¬
    ¬
    ¬
    ¬
    ¬
    ¬
    ¬
    ¬
    This user apologizes for dBasIng self" in public Politics Forum scams ANDing...select(s) to remain mute in response to "future flares 'FromDesktopOf:[email protected]>> !!!'"_";)()

¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬ ¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬ ¬¬¬¬¬¬¬@<< ???'

Quote Originally Posted by PaulM
    This is NOT a good day... just discoverred we have an injured horse & I'm waiting for the Vet to arrive. It's, sorta, minor... but it promises to be a real pain in the back-side... sliced heel tissue & it may have to be removed.
    For what it's worth... he's going to be Ok, but we'll be treating him until about March... with numerous Vet visits in the mean-time. He's stabled and resting now.

Thanks for listening :)

cheers,
    Paul

tommywho70x Guest

Quote Originally Posted by PaulM
    For what it's worth... he's going to be Ok, but we'll be treating him until about March... with numerous Vet visits in the mean-time. He's stabled and resting now.

Thanks for listening :)

cheers,
    Paul
    glad 2c Horse heel healing well :) ;) Happy Day... :D

JOCKEY Shorts NetZeroCLUB 1954Chinese Tarot Card breeding Horse.Zh1