+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Murder Rate Hits 40-Year Low

Just an opinion, but I couldn't help notice, in the article, the statement about the over 50' group being the fastest growing population group and the possibility that this could be a factor. I would have to agree with the author that this may be a factor... a major one and that we should not become complacent with crime... murder specifically.

cheers,
    Paul

I wouldn't actually feel safe owning a gun, although my husband has spoken about having one in the house for security, especially when he is away, I would worry about what could happen.
    Even locked up guns find their way into kids' hands. My husbands parents kept shotguns locked in a cabinet when my husband was a child and he and his older brother would routinely take those guns out and play with them when Mom & Dad were out. They also would drive their dads car around the house and across the fields behind their home, but that's another story :eek: They were able to locate both sets of keys when their parents were pretty certain they were well hidden.

I used to think about taking self defense classes but even then, assuming I got pretty tough, how would I possibly fend off an attack by karate chopping some guy. I think those lessons do give woman a feeling of confidence but maybe a false sense of security too?

Don't misunderstand me, I am not living in constant fear. No, actually I guess I am. Agh. I mean it's always in the back of my mind but I do function outside the house and am not a total recluse. If I was being car jacked and robbed like those woman you mentioned in Virginia, I really think I would be.
    I don't know how you get over things like that.
    I live in Utah, by the way, not New York or a state you might associate with high crime.

Dh thinks I am just not 'street smart' and has told me not to make eye contact with people on the street :confused: Stop being friendly with everyone you meet basically. When we were in Washington DC visiting Lincoln one year a guy noticed I was smoking and came up to me and asked if I would give him a cigarette. Of course, I went into my bag and got one for him. Meanwhile Dh turns around and and askes me what the hell I was thinking, you just don't do that here!

Hey, maybe it's my husband who is making me fearful :eek:

Pepper, or is it Mace? I think that would be a good idea to carry with me, where would I buy that?

About your horse Paul, I am sorry. He's lucky he didn't slice his tendon though. Did he catch his heel on a fence?
    By the way I worked with horses for some years and studied Horse Physiology too, so if you ever want to chat about horses that would be great. Do you train horses for work or are they yours? Do you ride American or British?

Hi SP,
    Just my 2 cents... continue to be yourself... but with modification. For example... if you want to give someone a smoke... be sure you carry them in a pocket and not your purse (it gives them a glance in and while you're looking your attention is elsewhere and not on your surroundings). Basically, be aware of yourself and your environment... open doors hard,fast and completely, walk with a purpose and authority... like your busy and can't be bothered... use the center of a sidewalk not a side... not living in fear... just living aware.

I'll move over to the "Chat" forum for the horse topic.

cheers,
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Smashingplates
    I wouldn't actually feel safe owning a gun, although my husband has spoken about having one in the house for security, especially when he is away, I would worry about what could happen.
    Even locked up guns find their way into kids' hands. My husbands parents kept shotguns locked in a cabinet when my husband was a child and he and his older brother would routinely take those guns out and play with them when Mom & Dad were out. They also would drive their dads car around the house and across the fields behind their home, but that's another story :eek: They were able to locate both sets of keys when their parents were pretty certain they were well hidden.

I used to think about taking self defense classes but even then, assuming I got pretty tough, how would I possibly fend off an attack by karate chopping some guy. I think those lessons do give woman a feeling of confidence but maybe a false sense of security too?

Don't misunderstand me, I am not living in constant fear. No, actually I guess I am. Agh. I mean it's always in the back of my mind but I do function outside the house and am not a total recluse. If I was being car jacked and robbed like those woman you mentioned in Virginia, I really think I would be.
    I don't know how you get over things like that.
    I live in Utah, by the way, not New York or a state you might associate with high crime.

Dh thinks I am just not 'street smart' and has told me not to make eye contact with people on the street :confused: Stop being friendly with everyone you meet basically. When we were in Washington DC visiting Lincoln one year a guy noticed I was smoking and came up to me and asked if I would give him a cigarette. Of course, I went into my bag and got one for him. Meanwhile Dh turns around and and askes me what the hell I was thinking, you just don't do that here!

Hey, maybe it's my husband who is making me fearful :eek:

Pepper, or is it Mace? I think that would be a good idea to carry with me, where would I buy that?

About your horse Paul, I am sorry. He's lucky he didn't slice his tendon though. Did he catch his heel on a fence?
    By the way I worked with horses for some years and studied Horse Physiology too, so if you ever want to chat about horses that would be great. Do you train horses for work or are they yours? Do you ride American or British?
    Paul has good advice for the unarmed woman. :cool:

Pwrone has The best advice though. Once you go through the conceal and carry classes, there is no way that you will shoot an innocent bystander. Please disregard the anti-gun radicals that gave advice in order to give you fear. I hear that brits are pretty good shots too.....somethin' bout the tea?

Actually, firearms are to be taken very seriously, so I would recommend that you definitely hit the firing range in your local area, perhaps join a gun club. Personal protection will save your life when the wrong people fall into your wrong place/time. Guns don't kill people, people kill people.

If you get good with a firearm, you can stop a perpetrator pretty quickly with a kneecap shot. That way you don't have regret about killin' someone with a head shot.

As far as the stories about your Husband, all boys do those things. Parents weren't as worried as they are today about safety. If you teach your children to respect guns, then it won't be a problem. If your kids have friends stay the night, you'll definitely want to lock the weapon up. Those kids that haven't ever heard of gun safety are the ones who most often cause accidental firings of the firearm. (that's where innocent people usually get hurt).

Good Luck!

so that's the "real" secret reason for the iraq war. :eek: :confused: :rolleyes:

Quote Originally Posted by sojustask
    I don't believe the thread is about you, pwrone.

LM
    On post #4 I responded to a post from smashing plates about her experiences in the USA. I did not reference t in any way. On post #5 he, well... did what he does. Throws insults at me...he is incapable of not insulting anyone who disagrees with him. He can stop or not--who cares?--but I am never just gonna 'take it'.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulM
    For what it's worth... he's going to be Ok, but we'll be treating him until about March... with numerous Vet visits in the mean-time. He's stabled and resting now.

Thanks for listening :)

cheers,
    Paul
    Hi Paul... This must have been a very stressful day for you. :( How did your horse get injured? 5 months of treatment seems like a long time.. is that normal? Sounds like he's going to be okay though... you must be extremely relieved.. :cool:

By the way... If you need any help with him, there's this guy who used to work for Bush that I hear is really good with horses.. he's unemployed now, maybe you can give him a job.. LOL ;)

It's a foot injury... hooves can be a tad tricky since they carry so much weight.
    I don't think we'd hire the guy... I like my messes cleaned up rather than talked about :D

cheers,
    Paul

tommywho70x Guest

Smashingplates, you are well advised to retain your fear of firearms finding their way into a child's hands.

'Zappers' and gas sprays are much safer and readily available in stores on and off line. A cell phone with a pre-set 'hot key' to call '911' and a self-defense class should be an adequate 'arsenal' for you to be able to travel around your community without fear.

Cut off about 15" of a broomstick or the end of a baseball bat and keep it next to your car seat where you can reach it. Practice thrusting it like a sword on a dummy. If somebody attempts to car-jack you, aim for the face, throw the car into gear and drive away; if you hit your attacker on the way out with the car, oh well...

I checked your site out Paul, and left you a message there :)

You know I don't entirely disagree with Pwrone. Gun ownership may be the way to go for some people, it's just not my choice. I have a history of depression too so it's probably best I don't have easy access to a gun. But I do appreciate your posts on this subject very much, so thanks for that Pwrone.

The baseball bat in the car is a great idea! And I will be acquiring some spray. Thanks Tommy

And Paul thank you. What you said makes a lot of sense and I recognize that I haven't been doing myself any favours by looking like a victim when I am on the street.

I'm really glad I shared my experience, (sorry about using your thread to do it, Tommy) because I haven't been able to talk to anyone about it really and it's been building in my mind for some time. I feel relieved, thanks for understanding and for all the great advice.

:)

Quote Originally Posted by tommywho70x
    Smashingplates, you are well advised to retain your fear of firearms finding their way into a child's hands.

'Zappers' and gas sprays are much safer and readily available in stores on and off line. A cell phone with a pre-set 'hot key' to call '911' and a self-defense class should be an adequate 'arsenal' for you to be able to travel around your community without fear.

Cut off about 15" of a broomstick or the end of a baseball bat and keep it next to your car seat where you can reach it. Practice thrusting it like a sword on a dummy. If somebody attempts to car-jack you, aim for the face, throw the car into gear and drive away; if you hit your attacker on the way out with the car, oh well...
    A sharpened pencil thrust in the soft space between the side of the neck and shoulder will cause death by blood poisoning in about 15 minutes, give or take a few. Pencils are easy to keep around as well as grab and are difficult to take away from you. :)

A friend who was concerned for my safety once taught me that.

Lady Mod

tommywho70x Guest

No apologies necessary, SP. These 'BLOG SITES' are for posting personal experiences too and they are most welcome in threads that I start when they are related to the thread's discussion TOPIC(TXT&PIX).

You know yourself better than we do SP. In the final analysis it is what you feel comfortable with and safe using. It's nice to see so many folks step up to help out.

cheers,
    Paul

ps... got your message... thanks :)

P.