+ Reply to Thread

Ghost phone calls...what are they?

My grandparents have said they keep getting phone calls where there is no one on the other end of the line. They reckon they get at least 1 and sometimes 3 a day like this. I can't think what it would be though? I mean fair enough some people get a lot of telesales calls but who would be ringing and not say anything/get a machine to do it? What is the point to this and can it be stopped?

Re: Ghost phone calls...what are they?

When I answer the phone there is about 5 seconds of silence before a telemarketing recording kicks in. Now if there is silence when I answer the phone I immediately know it's a recording, trying to sell me something, so I hang up before the recording starts.

It's not uncommon for me to get 5-10 of these calls a day, but I believe that they can be stopped if you add your number to a 'do not call' register, or something. Some states have it, some don't, maybe worth looking into for your grandparents. You have to pay for this service though, or at least that was my understanding when I looked into it last year.

I refuse to pay to stop being called and it doesn't cost me anything to hang up the phone or just not answer. If a calls really important my family and friends have my cell number.
    Last edited by Smashingplates; 10-17-2005 at 04:38 PM.

Huh? It's free. Check out donotcall.gov.

I found this at Utah. Gov:
    The Legislature directed the Utah Division of Consumer Protection develop and manage a program where Utah residential phone customers may pay a small fee to be placed on a list which telemarketers may not call.

But then I went to donotcall.gov and they say it's free, what gives? :confused:

what also helps is a caller i.d. box. when ya get a sales call, usually the call shows as "out of the area" on the box instead of a common name & number. it saves a lot of grief of getting stuck on the phone with a slick talking telemarketer who won't let you hang up...

Well I am in the UK and there are similar lists you can get on to, and you can also block calls from unknown numbers - but this can be a problem if someone like say, the doctors try to call and their number is with-held automatically, and they can't get through then. But sales calls are one thing, you can just hang up - but I still don't get why my grandparents get these calls where no one says anything - even after a few seconds I don't think there is a recorded message played. And so many too, up to 3 a day! Very odd. I just said I'd try and find out what it was all about for them but it seems to be a bit of a mystery!

It may be that some business has a very similar number. When the errant caller doesn't hear "Hello, Bob's Bank, can I help you?" they hesitate, double check the number, realize they made a mistake then hang up. Either that or disembodied entities from the void are trying to pass an apocalyptic message to them.