+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Re: The ATHEIST Who Founded the Jim Jones Cult

Quote Originally Posted by conserv4ever View Post
    That's for you to figure out. The CURRENT topic is a CHRISTIAN DOCTRINE. Only the NT defines that. Try to keep up.
    "Christian doctrine" is the word of men, in the same way as NT is the world of men.

If you follow "Christian doctrine", you follow the word of men. Still you tell PeggieSue that following "the word of men" is a mistake?

Quote Originally Posted by PeggieSue View Post
    Many Christians believe the scriptures are alleged to come from God (Gods word), therefore to confess any flaw in them would destroy their authority, so any trace of doubt is a sin, and claiming certainty is requested whether you're certain or not.

Even though Christian denominations may interpret the Bible differently they are not going to question what they have been taught.
    Seems to me this is where Conserv is coming from. He feels what he has been taught and believes is Gods word.
    So, in other words, he's delusional.

Just like all of the other christian fundamentalists and religious whack-o's.:crazy1:
    As long as it is acceptable for a person to beLIEve that he knows how god wants everyone on Earth to live, we will continue to murder one another on account of our myths. ~ Sam Harris, 'The End Of Faith'
    ~~~~~
    Christianity demands the crucifixion of the intellect.
    ~ Susan Kierkegaard

Quote Originally Posted by noagenda View Post
    I always wondered why people so easily accept that God would communicate his words to such a chosen few ? That the prophets ONLY know God's original intent and that scribes somehow are divinely ordained to protect those words. My opinion everyone has access to those words as we are part of the divine universe. We can choose to be fully engulfed in the physical realm or we can explore the possibilities of something more and hopefully in the process live well and help our fellow man.
    It's all about power over others. Always has been in almost every religion known. "You must follow what I say because only I know... oh and give me money and your daughters."

Many Christians believe the scriptures are alleged to come from God (Gods word), therefore to confess any flaw in them would destroy their authority, so any trace of doubt is a sin, and claiming certainty is requested whether you're certain or not.

Even though Christian denominations may interpret the Bible differently they are not going to question what they have been taught.
    Seems to me this is where Conserv is coming from. He feels what he has been taught and believes is Gods word.
    That is the part that defies logic...

He has been thought by man that something he reads is the word of God.
    Every word of it... even though those words are written by man.

Organized religion thrives on this kind of sheepish behaviour. Authority tells you what to believe, the sheep obey because they are told it's the "word of God".

The "word of God" comes from God. Not from a book. The moment it's transferred to a book, it's the word of men. Possibly inspired by a deity (or several deties), but still just the word of men.
    It doesn't matter what you print on the cover page, it's still just a book with the words of the men that wrote it.

In you chose to follow an organized religion built on such a book, you're a follower of those men. Not any God(s) they claim to represent.
    God does not work through books. Only men do.

Picking and choosing which part is the trick. We know no one thinks every word is true. It can't be as it contradicts itself too many times.

Like i keep saying, it's all about power. Conserve gets his jollies lording over people. He's a weak man, all he has is fox news, his loonie right web sites, and the hope that he gets to see us all go to hell and fry.

Quote Originally Posted by tomInAustin View Post
    It's all about power over others. Always has been in almost every religion known. "You must follow what I say because only I know... oh and give me money and your daughters."
    I agree. What I find confounding though is that people are so willing to give up their own God given power.