My gf was contacted via LinkedIn by this guy. (Seems he removed his image in the meantime.) He asked questions about her work (she's in fleet management) and it appeared he never heard of car sharing and fleet management. His mails came from a @hotmail.com address which I found strange as you have to have a really ancient account to still own a @hotmail.com address.
Now after a few mails he suggested going on Viber to chat. The number he provided was +171390935xx (xx were 2 more digits) which seems to point to Houston, TX - the same city he claimed living in. Sadly, a phone report is not free and I'm not even from the US.
However, running his photo through Google Image search made several anti-scam pages pop up like this or this one (part2). Also he seems to be secretly cloned several times as this LinkedIn list shows. It seems this guy's face is used for scamming for several years now. The scammers even seem to have a live webcam recording of him: (Quote from one of the pages.)
IF YOU ASK A SCAMMER TO WRITE YOUR NAME ON A PAPER AND SHOW IT IN CAMERA, HE WILL REFUSE, OR HIS CAM WILL "BREAK" RIGHT AT THIS MOMENT.
So, are scammers really that stupid in using a photo which is on all anti-scam pages there are? And what's the typical outcome of such a scam? I mean, LinkedIn seems to be a very bad starting point for romance scam?