+ Reply to Thread

tommywho70x Guest

When Hi-Tech Entertainment and National Security clash

This one is a laugher and will probably be even funnier if our armchair generals and experts on clandestine intelligence gathering and spy satellite high-resolution digital image hot flash-botting put their ePinions in on it.

Google's cop-out is pretty funny too. Even 2 year old hi-res shots are going to be pretty useful to forces on the ground and their strategic planners. It's interesting to note that Microsoft's similar program, 'Virtual Earth', which has been around longer hasn't raised the same kind of alarms.

There are some interesting passages in Bob Woodward's Veil on the subject of satellite intel, who we share it with and who we try to prevent from getting any that I'll dig out if this thread gets any action

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051016/...bmNhdA--Google Satellite Photos Worry India Leader By OMER FAROOQ, Associated Press Writer
    Sat Oct 15,10:34 PM ET

HYDERABAD, India - Indian President A.P.J. Abdul Kalam expressed concern Saturday about a free mapping program from Google Inc., warning it could help terrorists by providing satellite photos of potential targets.

ADVERTISEMENT

Google Earth, an Internet site launched in June this year, allows users to access overlapping satellite photos. Although not all areas are highly detailed, some images are very high resolution, and some show sensitive locations in various countries.

At a meeting of top police officials in the southern Indian city of Hyderabad, Kalam said he worried that "developing countries, which are already in danger of terrorist attacks, have been singularly chosen" for providing high resolution images of their sites.

The governments of South Korea and Thailand and lawmakers in the Netherlands have expressed similar concerns.

South Korean newspapers said Google Earth provides images of the presidential Blue House and military bases in the country, which remains technically at war with communist North Korea. The North's main nuclear facility at Yongbyon is among sites in that country displayed on the service.

The Google site contains clear aerial photos of India's parliament building, the president's house and surrounding government offices in New Delhi. There are also some clear shots of Indian defense establishments.

Debbie Frost, spokewoman for Mountain View, Calif.-based Google, noted that the software uses information already available from public sources and the images displayed are about one to two years old, not shown in real time.

"Google takes governmental concerns about Google Earth and Google Maps very seriously. Google welcomes dialogue with governments, and we will be happy to talk to Indian authorities about any concerns they may have," Frost said in an e-mail statement Saturday.

Kalam, a scientist who guided India's missile program before becaming president, called for new laws to restrain dissemination of such material. He said existing laws in some countries regarding spatial observations of their territory and the United Nations' recommendations on the practice are inadequate.

Copyright © 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. The information contained in the AP News report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press.

Copyright © 2005 Yahoo! Inc. All rights reserved.
    Questions or Comments
    Privacy Policy -Terms of Service - Copyright/IP Policy - Ad Feedback
    Last edited by tommywho70x; 10-15-2005 at 11:34 PM.

Re: When Hi-Tech Entertainment and National Security clash

I'll bite.

Googsters gotta shut down free info-flow of any military installation/command and control/national security site of any soverign nation. This does not fall into the free information act. national security trumps free information. ;)

I'll dive in too... why not :)
    I've got Google Earth and, for my purposes, it is exceptionally handy... mapping out local highway web-cams so I can check road conditions for myself this Winter. From an educational point of view it is outstanding... for example, Rome and it's famous ruins, Cairo & the remnants of ancient Egypt. As military intel... sure... it presents images of sites that could be targets... especially in the U.S.... but so do maps available in the phone-book or at the gas station. I needed a map of Ft. Knox and got it from the local phone book. The information/images are 1 to 2 years old. A potential attacker would need up to date info for the intel to be of any value. A 2 year old image just doesn't get it. If India has a concern then they need to talk with the people @ Google Earth to straighten it out.

cheers,
    Paul

tommywho70x Guest

As one of the hands that has been at least peripherally involved in the creation of the hardware encryption code GENERATOR (s) for the past 35 years that make this kind of imaging possible, I'm still giggling...(~$~MSN Flying Dollar Signs for Windows NT~$~$~)

Why Google and not Microsoft? What exempts their "SOFTWARE PRODUCT.~??"

For an insurgent force, hi-res satellite imagery does not have to be the latest shots for it to be valuable in the same way modern armies use them for spotting troop build-ups, movements, supply depots and other infrastructure installations.

I should think the Indians would want nice shots of places like the Taj Mahal available to potential tourists and it wouldn't be so difficult for them and other concerned nations to smudge up the shots of sites that they don't want so clearly delineated for potential attackers.

The advent of handheld radio telephones, PDAs and GPS transceivers has put access to orbiting computers into the hands of the common man. No turning back the CLOCK on that.

The Military Intelligence Personnel (Mips) are just going to have to find a 'Creative Workaround' to deal with the background noises and possible security vulnerabilities resulting from all those new 'Blips' on their INTERNET RADAR SCREENS........................................... ..:) IRS.~?? IrXfer Performance Monitor.lid)dy)GORDON16.DAT(1-800-GGLIDDY! WJFK.COM+G-ManRadio?)
    Degauss! Degauss! Degauss!
    User! User! User!
    Arials! Arials! Arials!
    Read! Read! Read!
    Write? Write? Write?
    * Adobe Systems, Inc., FONT MANAGER Win32hlp.sys Acrobat Reader 5.1 *
    Last edited by tommywho70x; 10-16-2005 at 11:19 AM.

Very true there Tommy... plainly put & clear to understand...
    If a terrorist/insurgent/radical... whatever... force wanted to attack a target they don't need up-to-date images... the basic lay-out will do nicely. The images were available long before Google Earth came out. Anyway... Google Earth, at least the free version... has much more blurred sections than clear.

cheers,
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Raider
    I'll bite.

Googsters gotta shut down free info-flow of any military installation/command and control/national security site of any soverign nation. This does not fall into the free information act. national security trumps free information. ;)
    ok...i'll comment on your bite.just so you dont feel ignored.ZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!those terrorists!!my god!!if they ever take over the world....well........we'd all be in trouble then!!no tv,no sex,no good food,no liesure time,.......no more mr.rodgers!!ok....now ya got me debatin!!
    :eek: :p :rolleyes:

tommywho70x Guest

I'd sure like to see what you get with the $400 Professional Version! hehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehe! (HTMLHELP.BAT/MAPI/MAPX)

Another thing potentially related, the military satellites that geosynchronously orbit our globe providing 'global-positioning' coordinates are designed with built-in "wander". This "wander" is due to go off-line in 2010. This would mean pin-point accuracy of GPS within 17 feet. GPS essentially is anywhere from +/- 5 feet to +/- 250 feet. I prefer the wander to be left intact from a national security standpoint. :cool:

tommywho70x Guest

Gosh, Raider, where do you get your STI NET STATS from in SAE measurements?

The only stuff I get to read has all those awful metric measurements.

Is that something Karl Rove has arranged for his semi-literate spooks with limited education in Physics?