+ Reply to Thread

Staged Interview with Soldiers. WHY?

Bush Teleconference With Soldiers Staged By DEB RIECHMANN, Associated Press Writer
    1 hour, 31 minutes ago

WASHINGTON - It was billed as a conversation with U.S. troops, but the questions President Bush asked on a teleconference call Thursday were choreographed to match his goals for the war in Iraq and Saturday's vote on a new Iraqi constitution.

ADVERTISEMENT

"This is an important time," Allison Barber, deputy assistant defense secretary, said, coaching the soldiers before Bush arrived. "The president is looking forward to having just a conversation with you."

Barber said the president was interested in three topics: the overall security situation in Iraq, security preparations for the weekend vote and efforts to train Iraqi troops.

As she spoke in Washington, a live shot of 10 soldiers from the Army's 42nd Infantry Division and one Iraqi soldier was beamed into the Eisenhower Executive Office Building from Tikrit — the birthplace of former Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein.

"I'm going to ask somebody to grab those two water bottles against the wall and move them out of the camera shot for me," Barber said.

A brief rehearsal ensued.

"OK, so let's just walk through this," Barber said. "Captain Kennedy, you answer the first question and you hand the mike to whom?"

"Captain Smith," Kennedy said.

"Captain. Smith? You take the mike and you hand it to whom?" she asked.

"Captain Kennedy," the soldier replied.

And so it went.

"If the question comes up about partnering — how often do we train with the Iraqi military — who does he go to?" Barber asked.

"That's going to go to Captain Pratt," one of the soldiers said.

"And then if we're going to talk a little bit about the folks in Tikrit — the hometown — and how they're handling the political process, who are we going to give that to?" she asked.

Before he took questions, Bush thanked the soldiers for serving and reassured them that the U.S. would not pull out of Iraq until the mission was complete.

"So long as I'm the president, we're never going to back down, we're never going to give in, we'll never accept anything less than total victory," Bush said.

The president told them twice that the American people were behind them.

"You've got tremendous support here at home," Bush said.

Less than 40 percent in an AP-Ipsos poll taken in October said they approved of the way Bush was handling Iraq. Just over half of the public now say the Iraq war was a mistake.

White House press secretary Scott McClellan said Thursday's event was coordinated with the Defense Department but that the troops were expressing their own thoughts. With satellite feeds, coordination often is needed to overcome technological challenges, such as delays, he said.

"I think all they were doing was talking to the troops and letting them know what to expect," he said, adding that the president wanted to talk with troops on the ground who have firsthand knowledge about the situation.

The soldiers all gave Bush an upbeat view of the situation.

The president also got praise from the Iraqi soldier who was part of the chat.

"Thank you very much for everything," he gushed. "I like you."

On preparations for the vote, 1st Lt. Gregg Murphy of Tennessee said: "Sir, we are prepared to do whatever it takes to make this thing a success. ... Back in January, when we were preparing for that election, we had to lead the way. We set up the coordination, we made the plan. We're really happy to see, during the preparation for this one, sir, they're doing everything."

On the training of Iraqi security forces, Master Sgt. Corine Lombardo from Scotia, N.Y., said to Bush: "I can tell you over the past 10 months, we've seen a tremendous increase in the capabilities and the confidences of our Iraqi security force partners. ... Over the next month, we anticipate seeing at least one-third of those Iraqi forces conducting independent operations."

Lombardo told the president that she was in New York City on Nov. 11, 2001, when Bush attended an event recognizing soldiers for their recovery and rescue efforts at Ground Zero. She said the troops began the fight against terrorism in the wake of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks and were proud to continue it in Iraq.

"I thought you looked familiar," Bush said, and then joked: "I probably look familiar to you, too."

Paul Rieckhoff, director of the New York-based Operation Truth, an advocacy group for U.S. veterans of Iraq and Afghanistan, denounced the event as a "carefully scripted publicity stunt." Five of the 10 U.S. troops involved were officers, he said.

"If he wants the real opinions of the troops, he can't do it in a nationally televised teleconference," Rieckhoff said. "He needs to be talking to the boots on the ground and that's not a bunch of captains."

tommywho70x Guest

Re: Staged Interview with Soldiers. WHY?

Why? Public Relations, perhaps?

Whatever the reason, what I saw was pathetic.

Anybody who has ever been involved with (live) Broadcast TV production can see plainly that the military [PEOPLE] were READING THEIR ANSWERS from a TELEPROMPTER or even just some stage hand holding up the answers on a poster board.

Yeah, and those were mostly officers. Not exactly your sampling of the average troop on the ground.

It sickens me that they're exploiting the troops in this way.

Here's video of Olbermann's coverage.

I agree.
    I thought the whole purpose of "interviewing" was to hear what they have to say in their own words..... :confused:

It's so eerie to see the press saying things like "it's a pity the press conference can't be as scripted as that conversation."

tommywho70x Guest

Give it time: MSN Daily Slate Interactive Newsletter API (Application Program Interface) was sold last year to WashingtonPost.com and replaced with MSN Space Blogosphere.

Now, MSN Butterfly [Windows Message Service]and SBC Yahoo! IM/MAIL/NEWS/Cyber-World Wire Web (SVC)<- AP, REUTERS/Routers? have merged.

Pretty soon everything and everybody are going to be reduced to either J++ or VBE+ 'SOURCE' Scripts of meta-tagged (XML RSS) 'Compressed Temporary Internet Files'

Quote Originally Posted by tommywho70x
    Give it time: MSN Daily Slate Interactive Newsletter API (Application Program Interface) was sold last year to WashingtonPost.com and replaced with MSN Space Blogosphere.

Now, MSN Butterfly [Windows Message Service]and SBC Yahoo! IM/MAIL/NEWS/Cyber-World Wire Web (SVC)<- AP, REUTERS/Routers? have merged.

Pretty soon everything and everybody are going to be reduced to either J++ or VBE+ 'SOURCE' Scripts of meta-tagged (XML RSS) 'Compressed Temporary Internet Files'
    Haha, don't expect me to go "huh?" like the rest of the kiddies on here. I was a computer science major!

Quote Originally Posted by ianmatthews
    Haha, don't expect me to go "huh?" like the rest of the kiddies on here. I was a computer science major!
    Huh?.......

tommywho70x Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ianmatthews
    oh reel e.~??[QTW]RealAudioOneBasic(UTF-7)[iTunes]MSDx-Sfx,Smi,Le!/?;)

r u any good doing white hat hacking.~??
    #www-big-mama-one.tommywho70x.netzero.net[Dwintl.dll]needs u.~!!00
    to break in with authorization(permission)Owner/Administrator/User-manager

we (me and My Computer) are having a terrible time convincing 'The Entire Network' that 'Microsoft Windows Network' has no 'Copyright-protected NT Authority' to EXPLORE 'My Documents' especially ones that are critical to the operation of hardware component(s) 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE_INFO(CS.CSS)LOCALS~1Select Computer: WORKGROUP (WFW311 Server client)'
    [URLMON.DLL]URLMK=0xFFFFFFFF, enable Urlmon, Debug WINPCFG.OUT/POP4

in a nutshell, we need to have a 'session' with a human&computer instead of just the ISPs automatons -- especially need somebody who knows what he's looking at to inspect the files on local c-drive and the ones i've archi
    ved on local d-drive. i'm not a software person at all; i build, operate and repair PC networking hardware and i need someone to take a look at the crazy crap big mama captures 0x1 MS TCP Inbound from 'Webding's wingding ds-calendar'

Maureen Dowd, New York Times, June 19, 1994

At the end of the day in Normandy, Bill Clinton walked down to the beach with three veterans of Omaha Beach -- Joe Dawson, Walter Ehlers and Robert Slaughter. The tableau was appealing: the young President enjoying the company of the aging heroes. But suddenly the President's aides began tugging the veterans away, mid-conversation, so that Clinton could walk off at sunset down the beach in his dress shoes and have a preplanned meditative moment, with the bluffs on one side and the sea dotted with warships on the other.
    Originally, the White House told photographers they were considering a "Where Have All the Flowers Gone?" moment, where Clinton and children would throw flowers into the sea.

But they settled on "a moment of solitude." The President knew he was supposed to look reflective for the three cameras and dozen photographers who joined him. But after looking soulfully out at the ocean for a moment, he seemed at a loss for what to do next, according to a photographer on the scene, who was scared that Clinton was about to mouth the words "What do I do now?" But then, spying the stones at his feet left by his advance staff to show him where his camera mark was, the President crouched down and began to arrange the stones into a cross. He gathered more stones to finish the cross, and then bent his head as though in silent prayer.

The White House aides were ecstatic. "Wasn't it great?" they asked reporters.

tommywho70x Guest

/LOW pwrone!0!0!0!0!0!0

no matter how much 20-20 hindsight you apply, what Bill Clinton did is over and done with and we still have more than 3 years to deal with an incompetant, dilettante Chief Executive who can't even read off of a freakin' TELEPROMPTER.

Come to the here and now and save your retrospectives for your autobiography.

Quote Originally Posted by tommywho70x
    /LOW pwrone!0!0!0!0!0!0

no matter how much 20-20 hindsight you apply, what Bill Clinton did is over and done with and we still have more than 3 years to deal with an incompetant, dilettante Chief Executive who can't even read off of a freakin' TELEPROMPTER.

Come to the here and now and save your retrospectives for your autobiography.

Just an attempt to interject some sorely needed perspective into yet another lynch-party...anyone who wishes to know all that happened in this case has already learned it...won't stop 'em from runnin' with it!
    Everything that happens in the past relates in some way to the future. Just because liberals often recoil at the mere mention of their impeached hero, it does not prevent them from bringing up subjects from the past that might work fer 'em rather than agin' 'em...you know...vietnam, Nixon, etc.

To see what an ACTUAL staged event looks like....

http://newsbusters.org/node/2199